News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 08:14:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 1264858 times)

audhs

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1500 on: December 22, 2013, 02:53:30 PM »
nd, while I'm here: I recently had to teach a student worker, who is in college, how to clean the toilets. It was on the roster for both me and her, and I mentioned in passing I'd do it, when she said 'oh, I've already done it'. Took me a while for the penny to drop; we had only been clocked in for two minutes. So I run back, ask her if she really did clean the toilets. She again, confirms. I ask her to describe what she did. 'Oh you know, I took that brush thing and scrubbed around a bit.'
*facepalm* Alright, come with me... let me show you were the gloves are, and the detergent, and the antical, and afterwards I'll point you in the right direction of the mop and bucket... she gave me the most horrified look. I mean, I can maybe understand how mom did all the cleaning and you never had to do it until now, but did she honestly think we're living in a Sims game?  ???
[/quote]

I may have mentioned this before but when I worked retail we had a staff member who was in his 20s who when asked to clean the bathroom said I don't clean my own bathroom why would I clean the one here.  ???   My boss had him clean it every shift he was on for the next month.
He also had to be told to dilute mr clean before using.    Apparently his mother would clean for him when she came to visit.  ::)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #1501 on: December 22, 2013, 02:57:37 PM »
I have had to explain to adult men that it is usual to still have periods when taking the Pill.

Syrse

« Reply #1502 on: December 22, 2013, 03:08:44 PM »
I may have mentioned this before but when I worked retail we had a staff member who was in his 20s who when asked to clean the bathroom said I don't clean my own bathroom why would I clean the one here.  ???   My boss had him clean it every shift he was on for the next month.
He also had to be told to dilute mr clean before using.    Apparently his mother would clean for him when she came to visit::)

I absolutely dislike parents like that... isn't the whole point of parenting to turn your kids into productive members of society who can stand on their own two feet?  ???

Oh, and another pregnancy one: when a friend found out we were pregnant, he exclaimed: 'well how did that happen?'
I almost replied we forgot to restock the stork repellent.  >:D

CakeEater

« Reply #1503 on: December 22, 2013, 04:45:53 PM »
When I was about 40 I had to explain to a 40-year old friend that women bleed for several weeks after childbirth because of the increased blood volume during pregnancy.  Neither of us had ever had a full term pregnancy but you'd think she would have read Our Bodies, Ourselves or The Ms Guide to a Woman's Health back in the day.

I don't think that's especially common knowledge for people who haven't had babies.

I have had to explain to adult men that it is usual to still have periods when taking the Pill.

I don't know if that's something that all adult men, or women for that matter, should necessarily know either.

I don't know the ins and outs of how each form of contraception affects the body - why would you know unless you had reason to find out?

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #1504 on: December 22, 2013, 04:55:05 PM »
When I was about 40 I had to explain to a 40-year old friend that women bleed for several weeks after childbirth because of the increased blood volume during pregnancy.  Neither of us had ever had a full term pregnancy but you'd think she would have read Our Bodies, Ourselves or The Ms Guide to a Woman's Health back in the day.

I don't think that's especially common knowledge for people who haven't had babies.

I had never heard of it before!

menley

« Reply #1505 on: December 22, 2013, 04:58:55 PM »

Yeah, I'm in my thirties and haven't had kids and have never heard of this. I don't think it's the most common knowledge.

Bluenomi

« Reply #1506 on: December 22, 2013, 05:40:20 PM »

Yeah, I'm in my thirties and haven't had kids and have never heard of this. I don't think it's the most common knowledge.

I had to explain to a woman with kids that you still bleed after a c section.  Basically it's the spot where the placenta was healing and the womb lining coming out. Except because the lining is much thicker than it is when you have a period it lasts much longer. You've still got all that though usually less because the can suck some out while they are in there.

You also wee heaps post birth, the extra blood comes out as excess liquid.

Carotte

« Reply #1507 on: December 22, 2013, 05:50:43 PM »

Yep, there's so many things that are not taught in school, or barely mentioned, (even the most basic and  essential is not taught at all sometimes regarding s*x ed and the biology around it) that unless you read stuff like cracked's "the 8 grossest things no one told you about the human body" or "the 5 things they don't want you to know about giving birth" you'll never come close to knowing it (if you're not in a position to experience it yourself).

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1508 on: December 22, 2013, 06:06:45 PM »
I don't know the ins and outs of how each form of contraception affects the body - why would you know unless you had reason to find out?

Because it's important? ???

NyaChan

« Reply #1509 on: December 22, 2013, 06:23:49 PM »

Because it's important? ???

Its important to those who are using that form of contraceptive.  Otherwise, I'm not spending time researching medical devices or medicine I'm not going to be using.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #1510 on: December 22, 2013, 06:29:51 PM »
Because if you don't know that antibiotics will ruin the contraceptive effect of birth control pills - and you come down with strep on your honeymoon, and the foreign doctor doesn't TELL you that you need to do something besides take "The Pill" - then you could end up coming home pregnant, with a spouse who does NOT want children, and end up getting a divorce & custody of the results of the unexpected pregnancy....

Met the woman with twins and a spouse who kept insisting that she must have gotten pregnant with someone else before the honeymoon because she KNEW he didn't want any (insulting word for children) - so they couldn't be his.  He KNEW she'd been on the pill for their honeymoon but it must have been too late - because antibiotics had nothing to do with contraceptive failure.

He also refused to use barrier methods of contraception - or so the woman told me once...apparently he was a real winner...not that anything was said to the girls...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Carotte

« Reply #1511 on: December 22, 2013, 06:36:34 PM »
Because if you don't know that antibiotics will ruin the contraceptive effect of birth control pills - and you come down with strep on your honeymoon, and the foreign doctor doesn't TELL you that you need to do something besides take "The Pill" - then you could end up coming home pregnant, with a spouse who does NOT want children, and end up getting a divorce & custody of the results of the unexpected pregnancy....

Met the woman with twins and a spouse who kept insisting that she must have gotten pregnant with someone else before the honeymoon because she KNEW he didn't want any (insulting word for children) - so they couldn't be his.  He KNEW she'd been on the pill for their honeymoon but it must have been too late - because antibiotics had nothing to do with contraceptive failure.

He also refused to use barrier methods of contraception - or so the woman told me once...apparently he was a real winner...not that anything was said to the girls...

But that's someone who was using this form of contraceptive. She should have known or been told, there's no denying it. but someone using X-form of contraceptive doesn't have to know anything about Y-form (until the day she considers Y-form and talk about it with a doctor).
I have zero knowledge about the IUD but that's ok, since I'm on the pill. On the other hand I know all there is to know about the pill, since I actually use it.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1512 on: December 22, 2013, 06:49:30 PM »
Surely if you do some research you'll be able to make an informed choice much better as to what is right for you?

PastryGoddess

« Reply #1513 on: December 22, 2013, 07:41:20 PM »
Surely if you do some research you'll be able to make an informed choice much better as to what is right for you?

Not everyone uses contraceptives...

I've never heard of either of these books and I was born in the early 80's.  Same thing with after pregnancy stuff.  My mother was pregnant 4 times when I was 7,9,11, and 13 and I don't know anything about pregnancy at all. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 07:44:49 PM by PastryGoddess »

Psychopoesie

« Reply #1514 on: December 22, 2013, 09:14:21 PM »
The basics of the main types of contraception was covered in sex ed./health classes in Highschool (for me that was the 80s). From what I recall, we were told about the pill (including different types), physical barrier methods like condoms (bit disappointed now that we didn't get to try one on a banana - hilarious) or diaphragms, IUDS, as well as natural methods, like the rhythm method. We were taught about how they worked (how they prevent pregnancies or STIs) plus the key advantages and disadvantages of each choice.

So I'd expect that most adults* here (or at least those who were schooled in the same area at the same time as me) would know basically how the pill worked. No idea what they teach on Highschool here now but I'd expect it to be at least the same info, of not more.

*a few kids did not participate in the sex ed. part of health classes because their parents did not approve/preferred to cover this themselves. Assumes the ones who were there paid attention, instead of whispering and giggling.  :)