Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 301903 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1590 on: December 25, 2013, 03:45:47 PM »

(To be fair, my understanding is that breastfeeding makes it LESS likely for you to get pregnant - it's your body's way of trying to make sure you don't have too many babies too quickly.  It's by no means foolproof, though.)

Oh dear... so many mothers believe this, and yet every single doctor tells you this isn't true, drives me batty.
It's sad- but the best  clue is knowing your family history. Both my grandmothers had a second child quickly after the first one, and I'm sure they were still nursing the first child since formula wasn't available. There's too many accounts of 'Irish twins' and other quickly-spaced children during times when a woman had to have been breastfeeding.
Powdered/canned formula might not have been available, but widespread bottle feeding has been around for decades, at least since the 1930's, IIRC.  "Formula", oh-so-scientific-and-modern, was canned evaporated milk, water, and Karo syrup.  Women were automatically given injections in the hospital to dry up their milk, since breastfeeding was not only old-fashioned, but with no way to tell how much the baby was getting, was actually considered BAD for the baby!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #1591 on: December 27, 2013, 04:54:44 PM »
I am jealous of everyone who's mothers actually told themthe facts of life.  (We live in the South and the school's philosophy is: of course boys are going to get into trouble and want sex but girls should know better!)  My mother was too embarrassed to go over it with me so she handed me an illustrated book (it was NOT a scientific text, and maybe just 30 - 50 pages) and let me figure it out on my own.  I mis-learned a lot from friends and assumed they must know better than I did.

I also knew girls in college that had no idea women have separate orifices for reproduction and bladder. 

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1592 on: December 27, 2013, 05:00:57 PM »
I am jealous of everyone who's mothers actually told themthe facts of life.  (We live in the South and the school's philosophy is: of course boys are going to get into trouble and want sex but girls should know better!)  My mother was too embarrassed to go over it with me so she handed me an illustrated book (it was NOT a scientific text, and maybe just 30 - 50 pages) and let me figure it out on my own.  I mis-learned a lot from friends and assumed they must know better than I did.

I also knew girls in college that had no idea women have separate orifices for reproduction and bladder. 

did you mean orifice or organ?  Because the two organs are accessed through the same orifice

sevenday

« Reply #1593 on: December 27, 2013, 05:12:14 PM »
No, they aren't. The urethra on females is a different opening.

squeakers

« Reply #1594 on: December 27, 2013, 05:15:18 PM »

did you mean orifice or organ?  Because the two organs are accessed through the same orifice

My vagina has nothing to do with my urethra.  They are separate orifices and different organs.  Although, if I was a male, they would be part of the same organ and orifice.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1595 on: December 27, 2013, 05:19:15 PM »

Ah - Mom told me a horror story about a young woman who had NOT ever seen a doctor before getting married...finally came in after her honeymoon in real pain.  She'd been told that things would be painful at first, when her hymen broke - but would not be painful after that.

Her hymen was unusually thick with a couple of tiny holes in it (so she'd been menstruating) but apparently she made it into the medical books (or at least that doctor's anec-data files) because it was also still intact...and what should have been an almost unnoticeable and slightly in front of the other opening was enlarged, inflamed, and....well...

The doctor got a scapel & cut the hymen, used a small mirror to show her where her lady parts were, and instructed her to tell her new husband that they needed to wait a few days for the inflammation to go down - then she needed to make sure that he got the right orifice....

The story was told me in Texas and was supposed to have happened in the fifties (or possibly earlier) as Mom said she'd heard it from a retired doctor who wasn't real clear as to WHEN it happened - but he'd practiced from the mid-thirties to the very early sixties....

I grabbed a mirror & watched while I went to the bathroom to make sure that I could tell which was which...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

checkitnice

« Reply #1596 on: December 27, 2013, 05:21:43 PM »
My coworker just asked me today "Is influenza A contagious?"  I replied that it was, that it was what my infant son had just gotten over.  "Oh, well isn't there a kind that isn't contagious?" 

...no, no there's not.  They're all contagious.   She walked away a little put out over that. 

Psychopoesie

« Reply #1597 on: December 27, 2013, 05:22:50 PM »

We had sex ed at school every year starting from about year 6 (so about 10-11 year olds) for which I am extremely grateful. Think it starts before that now.

I'm told that my grandma totally avoided the topic with her children. My eldest aunty married at 21 and the poor groom had to explain the facts of life on her wedding night apparently. This was in the 1940s. Mum was lucky to be the youngest sibling - her older sisters explained the basics.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1598 on: December 27, 2013, 05:36:06 PM »
Apparently Mom got something along the lines of "you'll figure it out" from her rather Victorian mother - she might have gotten a little more information from her father - but since she'd gone off to college, she might have been able to do a little research at the college library.

Or not...it was a religious college, after all!  You might have had to have declared as a medical student to access those shelves...

Heaven knows that I've heard some real doozies of misinformation over the decades....none from Mom - just a very involved scientific explanation that confused me at four, at five, at six, and again every time she gave it to me until I gave up & bought a copy of "Everything That You Wanted To Know about S** But Were Afraid To Ask" as a senior in high school.

It was kind of the "Idiots' Guide To ____" precursor - and explained a lot of things that I knew the scientific terms for....but didn't know much about some of the other stuff.  I was told a dirty joke my freshman year of high school and didn't "get" the joke - nor did I understand the rather stumbling explanation of the girl who had told it to me.  But when you LOOK older than you really are - nobody believed that I really was that na´ve. 

Lil Sis didn't hit puberty until her senior year of high school - people did believe that she was that na´ve....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Jones

« Reply #1599 on: December 27, 2013, 06:08:21 PM »
Would like to respectively request we move on from the current subject and explore a variety of "adults should know this" subjects...

Aside from an anecdote about one of my coworkers pulling a pickup truck into our shop, left the keys and beeper in it, and locked them in, I don't have much fodder for changing the subject myself, though. :-[

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #1600 on: December 27, 2013, 06:13:19 PM »
I had surgery last week, and a complication required that I had a catheter in because I couldn't pee.

Housemate, bless her, asked how I was supposed to pee with the catheter in.  I had to explain that it did the job for me.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1601 on: December 27, 2013, 06:25:37 PM »
Not as egregious as some, but at least it doesn't involve body fluids.

I had a new employee, first-real-job-after-college, take me aside and discretely ask how the annual Christmas bonus to all employees was distributed. I had to explain ot her that that kind of Christmas bonus was usually a way to share the business profits with employees, and that, since we were a government agency, taxpayers would not exactly be thrilled with us making a profit, much less handing over tax dollars to staff. So, no bonus.

She was only familiar with the kind of large corporations that handed out annual bonuses and it never occurred to her that it was not a universal practice, or that it was tied to company profits.

At least she figured out why the office did not treat employees to a lavish annual holiday party. At that agency, more than one newbie (usually student interns) couldn't believe that any holiday party would be paid for by employees and would be on their own time.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

kckgirl

« Reply #1602 on: December 27, 2013, 06:36:57 PM »
I work for the government, too, and we all pay our own way; however, our parties are actually on a work day during work hours.
Maryland

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #1603 on: December 27, 2013, 06:53:36 PM »
Not as egregious as some, but at least it doesn't involve body fluids.

I had a new employee, first-real-job-after-college, take me aside and discretely ask how the annual Christmas bonus to all employees was distributed. I had to explain ot her that that kind of Christmas bonus was usually a way to share the business profits with employees, and that, since we were a government agency, taxpayers would not exactly be thrilled with us making a profit, much less handing over tax dollars to staff. So, no bonus.

She was only familiar with the kind of large corporations that handed out annual bonuses and it never occurred to her that it was not a universal practice, or that it was tied to company profits.

At least she figured out why the office did not treat employees to a lavish annual holiday party. At that agency, more than one newbie (usually student interns) couldn't believe that any holiday party would be paid for by employees and would be on their own time.
I had to explain to several people why our faculty Christmas Party was LEGALLY required to have either a cash bar or no acholol. It is illegal for the school district to spend money on acholol. It doesn't matter that the social committee was paying for the party from our dues and isn't tax money. Most people were moving drinks out of the shot, before they took pictures just to be careful. A friend even scooted my coke out of the picture, because you can't tell from looking it isn't a rum and coke. (YOu could tell by the fact I was able to stand upright ;) .
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1604 on: December 27, 2013, 07:04:14 PM »

Dh didn't know that until he was 60.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.