Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 332500 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1620 on: December 30, 2013, 04:13:48 PM »
People think male and female is a binary thing, but sometimes it's not so simple. People can have both male and female characteristics.

A famous case was this woman  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanisława_Walasiewicz

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #1621 on: December 30, 2013, 05:32:45 PM »

I also knew girls in college that had no idea women have separate orifices for reproduction and bladder. 

did you mean orifice or organ?  Because the two organs are accessed through the same orifice

Ah - Mom told me a horror story about a young woman who had NOT ever seen a doctor before getting married...finally came in after her honeymoon in real pain.  She'd been told that things would be painful at first, when her hymen broke - but would not be painful after that.

Her hymen was unusually thick with a couple of tiny holes in it (so she'd been menstruating) but apparently she made it into the medical books (or at least that doctor's anec-data files) because it was also still intact...and what should have been an almost unnoticeable and slightly in front of the other opening was enlarged, inflamed, and....well...

The doctor got a scapel & cut the hymen, used a small mirror to show her where her lady parts were, and instructed her to tell her new husband that they needed to wait a few days for the inflammation to go down - then she needed to make sure that he got the right orifice....

OW. OW OW OW OW OW. OW!

Did she not get a UTI? Oh, and OW.

Oh my gosh, that's awful.

When I was little, my grandmother had early onset dementia and my grandfather was telling about having to help with her tampons and such (why he was telling this to a six year old, I have no idea). Anyway, my mom was a scientist and was really big on appropriate names for organs (instead of cutesy terms like wee wee or whatever), and so even at 6 I knew all of the parts of the body pretty well. My grandfather said something about not understanding why the tampon didn't stop her from wetting her pants, and according to my mom I looked at him and said, "Are you stupid? They're different holes." Apparently at 6 I wasn't as concerned with etiquette as I was with being right. :)

I have no idea - but the story was told to me roughly twenty years ago and was supposed to have happened more than twenty years before that - so maybe they got lucky about not carrying them?   

Or maybe the week of rest was for more than just allowing the hymen to heal and the urethra to shrink to a more normal size?

I have to admit that I squeezed my thighs & knees together tightly when I heard that story for the first time....

++++++++++++++++++++

Next story - from a college instructor - dated in the very early days of fertility treatment - so at least fifty years ago if not longer.  He'd heard these from one of his professors who worked in the field when it was younger.

A doctor and his wife were in for diagnosis as to why they had never had a pregnancy.  After checking to make sure that they were doing the appropriate deeds (don't laugh - apparently one very religious couple was praying about getting pregnant but weren't doing anything BUT praying - things worked out well once they were told of other activities with a higher success rate on getting pregnant AND that it was okay to do THAT since they were married and doing it for the purpose of having a baby - did I mention that they were apparently very, very religious).  I was a preacher's kid and could believe that one...lots of preaching about the "sins" of lust & fornication without a lot of preaching on the joys of marriage...it could happen.  Although they had to have had very low s3x drives....

The one that flabbered my ghast was the second story.  The doctor and his wife....checking the male is always easier, a sample jar, a little time alone, and a microscope - yep, they are present, numerous, formed normally, and active....

On to the more difficult female checks - where they noted that she had no body hair.  She didn't shave.  Her external organs appeared fairly normal but they couldn't find ovaries, a uterus, or other equipment that they expected.

What they did find was a "blind opening" (I think it's called) and...undescended testicles.  "She" was a pseudo-hermaphrodite - something so rare that a medically trained person hadn't recognized that he was married to one.

Rather than blow up the marriage by telling them that "she" was genetically male but apparently did not react to testosterone at all - they were told to adopt, as her "female organs" were incapable of supporting a viable pregnancy.  But it did make it into the medical books years later AND certainly the anecdata banks on "odd things we found people doing or not doing before coming to the fertility clinic".

Sounds like Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1622 on: December 30, 2013, 06:24:57 PM »
Yeah - at five or six most people see the world simply.  It's a binary world - good or bad; sweet or sour; light or dark; sleepy or awake; and other problems are simple.

As you get older, more options to almost any question you could be asked crop up...the stereotypical comment about the lesser of two evils was not made by a child - but rather by a rather disillusioned adult.  The older you get, to a certain point, the more "shades of gray" you can see (not intended as a reference to any books of recent best seller status). 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1623 on: December 30, 2013, 06:26:21 PM »

I also knew girls in college that had no idea women have separate orifices for reproduction and bladder. 

did you mean orifice or organ?  Because the two organs are accessed through the same orifice

Ah - Mom told me a horror story about a young woman who had NOT ever seen a doctor before getting married...finally came in after her honeymoon in real pain.  She'd been told that things would be painful at first, when her hymen broke - but would not be painful after that.

Her hymen was unusually thick with a couple of tiny holes in it (so she'd been menstruating) but apparently she made it into the medical books (or at least that doctor's anec-data files) because it was also still intact...and what should have been an almost unnoticeable and slightly in front of the other opening was enlarged, inflamed, and....well...

The doctor got a scapel & cut the hymen, used a small mirror to show her where her lady parts were, and instructed her to tell her new husband that they needed to wait a few days for the inflammation to go down - then she needed to make sure that he got the right orifice....

OW. OW OW OW OW OW. OW!

Did she not get a UTI? Oh, and OW.

Oh my gosh, that's awful.

When I was little, my grandmother had early onset dementia and my grandfather was telling about having to help with her tampons and such (why he was telling this to a six year old, I have no idea). Anyway, my mom was a scientist and was really big on appropriate names for organs (instead of cutesy terms like wee wee or whatever), and so even at 6 I knew all of the parts of the body pretty well. My grandfather said something about not understanding why the tampon didn't stop her from wetting her pants, and according to my mom I looked at him and said, "Are you stupid? They're different holes." Apparently at 6 I wasn't as concerned with etiquette as I was with being right. :)

I have no idea - but the story was told to me roughly twenty years ago and was supposed to have happened more than twenty years before that - so maybe they got lucky about not carrying them?   

Or maybe the week of rest was for more than just allowing the hymen to heal and the urethra to shrink to a more normal size?

I have to admit that I squeezed my thighs & knees together tightly when I heard that story for the first time....

++++++++++++++++++++

Next story - from a college instructor - dated in the very early days of fertility treatment - so at least fifty years ago if not longer.  He'd heard these from one of his professors who worked in the field when it was younger.

A doctor and his wife were in for diagnosis as to why they had never had a pregnancy.  After checking to make sure that they were doing the appropriate deeds (don't laugh - apparently one very religious couple was praying about getting pregnant but weren't doing anything BUT praying - things worked out well once they were told of other activities with a higher success rate on getting pregnant AND that it was okay to do THAT since they were married and doing it for the purpose of having a baby - did I mention that they were apparently very, very religious).  I was a preacher's kid and could believe that one...lots of preaching about the "sins" of lust & fornication without a lot of preaching on the joys of marriage...it could happen.  Although they had to have had very low s3x drives....

The one that flabbered my ghast was the second story.  The doctor and his wife....checking the male is always easier, a sample jar, a little time alone, and a microscope - yep, they are present, numerous, formed normally, and active....

On to the more difficult female checks - where they noted that she had no body hair.  She didn't shave.  Her external organs appeared fairly normal but they couldn't find ovaries, a uterus, or other equipment that they expected.

What they did find was a "blind opening" (I think it's called) and...undescended testicles.  "She" was a pseudo-hermaphrodite - something so rare that a medically trained person hadn't recognized that he was married to one.

Rather than blow up the marriage by telling them that "she" was genetically male but apparently did not react to testosterone at all - they were told to adopt, as her "female organs" were incapable of supporting a viable pregnancy.  But it did make it into the medical books years later AND certainly the anecdata banks on "odd things we found people doing or not doing before coming to the fertility clinic".

Sounds like Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome.

Yep - but at a time when that was not a recognized diagnosis - sometime in the 1930s or 194s - when a lot of current medical knowledge was just not going to be known, even at the advanced research level, much less common "man on the street level" for decades...

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1624 on: December 30, 2013, 06:29:52 PM »
No more tmi posts, please.  Keep it clean, folks.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1625 on: December 30, 2013, 06:42:54 PM »
Yeah - at five or six most people see the world simply.  It's a binary world - good or bad; sweet or sour; light or dark; sleepy or awake; and other problems are simple.

As you get older, more options to almost any question you could be asked crop up...the stereotypical comment about the lesser of two evils was not made by a child - but rather by a rather disillusioned adult.  The older you get, to a certain point, the more "shades of gray" you can see (not intended as a reference to any books of recent best seller status).
There are people who still see the world in black and white, unfortunately. :(

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1626 on: December 30, 2013, 07:03:15 PM »
There will always be people who WANT to see things in black & white - because it is easier to make a choice when there are ONLY two options.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1627 on: December 30, 2013, 10:59:17 PM »
I've got that Michael Jackson song stuck in my head now...thanks

Coruscation

« Reply #1628 on: December 31, 2013, 12:08:24 AM »
Speaking of contraception, I don't think I've mentioned this before - a friend of mine thought that she was safe from pregnancy while she was breastfeeding her firstborn.  She was astonished when she got pregnant with Son #2 when Son #1 was less than a year old.  She asked me "Did you know you could get pregnant while you're breastfeeding?"  Bemused, I said "Uh, I never thought about it, but I would have thought it was possible, yes."  "Oh.  Well, I didn't."

(To be fair, my understanding is that breastfeeding makes it LESS likely for you to get pregnant - it's your body's way of trying to make sure you don't have too many babies too quickly.  It's by no means foolproof, though.)

They actually tested this one reasonably recently. It works for the first six months provided that you feed the baby every six hours.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #1629 on: December 31, 2013, 01:46:01 AM »
Hee hee, RingTailedLemur

The weird thing is, my friend is one of the most intelligent people I know, but she is remarkably ignorant/na´ve about some fundamental things.   The breastfeeding = contraception idea was just one of them.

She was a bit odd while she was pregnant with Son #2, but this might've just been baby brain - she was absolutely convinced that she was having a girl.  She hadn't had an ultrasound or anything - she was just sure.  Every time she referred to the baby, she said "she".  She had only girls' names picked out.  She started asking around for used baby girl clothes.  When Son #2 was born, she was flabbergasted.
I read a book by Jared Diamond about tribal child care methods from around the world. When you have the baby strapped to your chest in a sling and do frequent small feeds almost constantly throughout the day, then the constant hormone stimulation caused by the feeding will act as a natural birthcontrol method until the child is weaned. However, more modern feeding schedules of a few big feeds every few hours doesn't cut it, you need constant little bursts to get the proper effect. So while it does theoretically work, you need to use "stone age" baby feeding schedules to achieve the effect.  ;)
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1630 on: December 31, 2013, 02:52:02 AM »
Hee hee, RingTailedLemur

The weird thing is, my friend is one of the most intelligent people I know, but she is remarkably ignorant/na´ve about some fundamental things.   The breastfeeding = contraception idea was just one of them.

She was a bit odd while she was pregnant with Son #2, but this might've just been baby brain - she was absolutely convinced that she was having a girl.  She hadn't had an ultrasound or anything - she was just sure.  Every time she referred to the baby, she said "she".  She had only girls' names picked out.  She started asking around for used baby girl clothes.  When Son #2 was born, she was flabbergasted.
I read a book by Jared Diamond about tribal child care methods from around the world. When you have the baby strapped to your chest in a sling and do frequent small feeds almost constantly throughout the day, then the constant hormone stimulation caused by the feeding will act as a natural birthcontrol method until the child is weaned. However, more modern feeding schedules of a few big feeds every few hours doesn't cut it, you need constant little bursts to get the proper effect. So while it does theoretically work, you need to use "stone age" baby feeding schedules to achieve the effect.  ;)

Inquiring minds would like to know if carrying a large stone or wood club is allowed :D

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #1631 on: December 31, 2013, 06:31:22 AM »
Hee hee, RingTailedLemur

Inquiring minds would like to know if carrying a large stone or wood club is allowed :D
Whatever floats your deerskin coracle.  ;D
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

oogyda

« Reply #1632 on: December 31, 2013, 08:15:24 AM »
We had a truck get stuck under an overpass somewhat nearby.  They brought out the fire department and police and eventually had highway engineers out there trying to figure out how to get the truck out without causing more damage.  The road was closed for HOURS and drew quite a crowd.

It was a 14 year old boy who solved the problem when he suggested they let some air out of the tires on the trailer. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Pen^2

« Reply #1633 on: December 31, 2013, 12:25:22 PM »
Several years ago, the maths department I was involved with was having an official photograph taken. They were worried, however, that all of the people who were going to be in the photo had glasses, but they didn't want to project a strong stereotypical "nerd" image and were concerned about the publicity. They were trying to think up people who wouldn't be out of place to include in the photo and struggled for ages to come up with anyone appropriate. I walked in on them after they'd been discussing it for over an hour, heard the dilemma, and asked, "Why don't some of you just take of your glasses for the duration of the photo?" The idea hadn't occurred to any of them.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1634 on: December 31, 2013, 02:03:27 PM »
oogyda wrote:

"We had a truck get stuck under an overpass somewhat nearby.  They brought out the fire department and police and eventually had highway engineers out there trying to figure out how to get the truck out without causing more damage.  The road was closed for HOURS and drew quite a crowd.

It was a 14 year old boy who solved the problem when he suggested they let some air out of the tires on the trailer."

In a situation where a truck is stuck by mere inches, which would have to be the case if flattening the trailer tires would free it, why wouldn't the fire department just take ten minutes to saw the top of the trailer off with a safety saw (assuming that none of them had ever heard the logic problem somewhere else) or just pull it back out with a winch?  And why in the world would an engineer be getting involved?

Virg