Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 332727 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1635 on: December 31, 2013, 02:05:12 PM »
We've had the engineers called to assess whether or not the bridge/overpass is still safe but not to figure out how to get the truck out.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

lowspark

« Reply #1636 on: December 31, 2013, 02:08:38 PM »
We had a truck get stuck under an overpass somewhat nearby.  They brought out the fire department and police and eventually had highway engineers out there trying to figure out how to get the truck out without causing more damage.  The road was closed for HOURS and drew quite a crowd.

It was a 14 year old boy who solved the problem when he suggested they let some air out of the tires on the trailer.

That's a really old story/puzzle that I've heard multiple times over many years. One of the characters in in the movie, Working Girl (1988) tells that story almost verbatim.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1637 on: December 31, 2013, 02:29:13 PM »
Outdoor Girl wrote:

"We've had the engineers called to assess whether or not the bridge/overpass is still safe but not to figure out how to get the truck out."

That's where I was thinking with this.  The only time I've ever seen an assessment that didn't wait until the mess was cleaned up was when a crash and fire compromised a pillar and they were concerned that extracting the wreck would cause a collapse.

Of course, the whole thing has me scratching my head because unless the truck driver backed up into the bridge, letting air out of the trailer tires wouldn't lower the end of the trailer that was stuck to begin with.

Virg

squeakers

« Reply #1638 on: December 31, 2013, 03:40:25 PM »
Outdoor Girl wrote:

"We've had the engineers called to assess whether or not the bridge/overpass is still safe but not to figure out how to get the truck out."

That's where I was thinking with this.  The only time I've ever seen an assessment that didn't wait until the mess was cleaned up was when a crash and fire compromised a pillar and they were concerned that extracting the wreck would cause a collapse.

Of course, the whole thing has me scratching my head because unless the truck driver backed up into the bridge, letting air out of the trailer tires wouldn't lower the end of the trailer that was stuck to begin with.

Virg

For the local truck eating bridges often times it's the rear end/trailer that gets caught.  The drivers know how tall their cab is but forget that without a load their trailer is a little higher than normal.  And sometimes the new trailer is taller than what they had ran with before.

http://wqad.com/2012/02/25/qc-truck-eating-bridges/

http://qctimes.com/gallery/traffic/historic-photos-q-c-s-truck-eating-bridges/collection_0b1b72cc-4fd7-11e0-b650-001cc4c03286.html#0
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #1639 on: December 31, 2013, 03:53:15 PM »
I just had a conversation with someone who had no idea that if you insert a toothpick (or knife, I usually use a knife) into the center of the cake and it comes out clean then the cake is done. She had no idea. She's baked cakes before. Even the boxed cakes, right on the box it says to insert a toothpick in the center and when it comes out clean it's done. I asked how she's been doing and she just said she put in for the longest time the box said and figured it'd be done when she pulled it out.  :o

She even said "Like totally clean? Like...how does that work? Really totally clean?", yes, clean! Oh dear.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1640 on: December 31, 2013, 03:59:41 PM »
squeakers wrote:

"For the local truck eating bridges often times it's the rear end/trailer that gets caught.  The drivers know how tall their cab is but forget that without a load their trailer is a little higher than normal.  And sometimes the new trailer is taller than what they had ran with before."

I get that the trailer hits the bridge, but if that happens, it's the front end of the trailer that hits the bridge, so letting air out of the trailer tires (which are on the back end of the trailer) would lower the back end of the trailer, where it's the front end of the trailer that's stuck.  Unless you deflate the drive wheels of the tractor, the part that's stuck won't settle.  In fact, in the first picture of the first link, deflating the trailer tires would make the problem worse as the trailer levered up on the kingpin, driving the leading edge upward even harder into the bridgework.

I did notice that there was one picture where the "deflate the tires" trick would work very nicely.  There was a picture of a wheel-loader on a flatbed that was just barely wedged, and since the wheel-loader's tires have about a twelve inch sidewall, deflating the tires on the wheel-loader would have freed it very easily.  The flatbed looks broken across the lead trailer axle so I'm guessing that the trucker couldn't have done that and then driven off, but at least he could have lowered the wheel-loader and then dragged the trailer out in the open to be re-lynched or replaced.

Virg

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #1641 on: December 31, 2013, 04:05:21 PM »

*snip*
I did notice that there was one picture where the "deflate the tires" trick would work very nicely.  There was a picture of a wheel-loader on a flatbed that was just barely wedged, and since the wheel-loader's tires have about a twelve inch sidewall, deflating the tires on the wheel-loader would have freed it very easily.  The flatbed looks broken across the lead trailer axle so I'm guessing that the trucker couldn't have done that and then driven off, but at least he could have lowered the wheel-loader and then dragged the trailer out in the open to be re-lynched or replaced.

Virg

That poor trailer has already gone through so much and you want to do what to it?! :o ;D

Man, I love technical terms sometimes.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1642 on: December 31, 2013, 04:06:11 PM »
I've got that Michael Jackson song stuck in my head now...thanks

I gift you with "Not The Worst Thing I Could Do" from Grease to replace the Michael Jackson...your choice of singers in the role.  The movie version is best known....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1643 on: December 31, 2013, 04:32:59 PM »
I just had a conversation with someone who had no idea that if you insert a toothpick (or knife, I usually use a knife) into the center of the cake and it comes out clean then the cake is done. She had no idea. She's baked cakes before. Even the boxed cakes, right on the box it says to insert a toothpick in the center and when it comes out clean it's done. I asked how she's been doing and she just said she put in for the longest time the box said and figured it'd be done when she pulled it out.  :o

She even said "Like totally clean? Like...how does that work? Really totally clean?", yes, clean! Oh dear.
I usually use a skewer, and have skewers just for that purpose. Ovens vary so much that you need to do that. Do they know that you need to stick a meat thermometer in a roast to check the internal temperature?

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1644 on: December 31, 2013, 06:12:39 PM »

I usually use a skewer, and have skewers just for that purpose. Ovens vary so much that you need to do that. Do they know that you need to stick a meat thermometer in a roast to check the internal temperature?

I never do. But I like my meat rare.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Bluenomi

« Reply #1645 on: December 31, 2013, 06:33:10 PM »
We had a truck get stuck under an overpass somewhat nearby.  They brought out the fire department and police and eventually had highway engineers out there trying to figure out how to get the truck out without causing more damage.  The road was closed for HOURS and drew quite a crowd.

It was a 14 year old boy who solved the problem when he suggested they let some air out of the tires on the trailer.

Hey it worked for Fireman Sam!

BB-VA

« Reply #1646 on: December 31, 2013, 09:06:59 PM »

That's a really old story/puzzle that I've heard multiple times over many years. One of the characters in in the movie, Working Girl (1988) tells that story almost verbatim.

And it used to be told about the local mental institution.  One of the patients was the problem-solver.

I have always thought there might be a grain of truth to that one as there is a low-clearance underpass just outside that institution.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Nikko-chan

« Reply #1647 on: December 31, 2013, 09:09:52 PM »

Ooooh boy.... that's just... wow.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1648 on: December 31, 2013, 10:32:51 PM »
I've got that Michael Jackson song stuck in my head now...thanks

I gift you with "Not The Worst Thing I Could Do" from Grease to replace the Michael Jackson...your choice of singers in the role.  The movie version is best known....

ummm nope, I'll stick with Michael Jackson thank you :D

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1649 on: December 31, 2013, 10:57:55 PM »
Hee hee, RingTailedLemur

The weird thing is, my friend is one of the most intelligent people I know, but she is remarkably ignorant/na´ve about some fundamental things.   The breastfeeding = contraception idea was just one of them.

She was a bit odd while she was pregnant with Son #2, but this might've just been baby brain - she was absolutely convinced that she was having a girl.  She hadn't had an ultrasound or anything - she was just sure.  Every time she referred to the baby, she said "she".  She had only girls' names picked out.  She started asking around for used baby girl clothes.  When Son #2 was born, she was flabbergasted.
I read a book by Jared Diamond about tribal child care methods from around the world. When you have the baby strapped to your chest in a sling and do frequent small feeds almost constantly throughout the day, then the constant hormone stimulation caused by the feeding will act as a natural birthcontrol method until the child is weaned. However, more modern feeding schedules of a few big feeds every few hours doesn't cut it, you need constant little bursts to get the proper effect. So while it does theoretically work, you need to use "stone age" baby feeding schedules to achieve the effect.  ;)
But it sure gives you sore nipples...  ::)   And your MIL will be absolutely certain that you are "doing it wrong".
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~