Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 303550 times)

CakeEater

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2160 on: February 07, 2014, 02:40:42 AM »
This is a thing an adult should really know about himself: that he is a poor speller, and if a word processor is not highlighting spelling errors as he types, then perhaps that particular program does not do the little red squiggly lines. 

"im" is not an acceptable substitute for "I'm" in written English.  Proper nouns should be capitalized. There is a difference between you're and your, and they're/their/there.  Commas should separate independent clauses.

I blame the schools and college he attended for not bothering to actually teach him how to spell, capitalize, and punctuate, and instead allowing him to rely on a computer to do all those tasks.

Someone who is in college has been at school for at least 13 years? I have difficulty believing that not one teacher in all that time mentioned capital letters.

greencat

« Reply #2161 on: February 07, 2014, 02:59:21 AM »
This is a thing an adult should really know about himself: that he is a poor speller, and if a word processor is not highlighting spelling errors as he types, then perhaps that particular program does not do the little red squiggly lines. 

"im" is not an acceptable substitute for "I'm" in written English.  Proper nouns should be capitalized. There is a difference between you're and your, and they're/their/there.  Commas should separate independent clauses.

I blame the schools and college he attended for not bothering to actually teach him how to spell, capitalize, and punctuate, and instead allowing him to rely on a computer to do all those tasks.

Someone who is in college has been at school for at least 13 years? I have difficulty believing that not one teacher in all that time mentioned capital letters.

He has a 2-year college degree and is working on his 4-year.  He's incredibly intelligent, to the point where he was able to graduate high school early, and has an impressive vocabulary, but trying to read his writing without the word processor auto-correcting, or at least flagging, errors is impossible.  I suspect he hasn't had to check for errors on his own since elementary school.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2162 on: February 07, 2014, 10:28:24 AM »
Teachers are under a lot of pressure to be "tolerant of different means of self-expression." This means, sometimes, not criticizing students for grammar, spelling, illegible handwriting, or other examples of non-conformity.

I can agree with this, to a point. I would hate to see a student pour out his/her heart in impassioned, and well-reasoned, prose, only to have it returned with "You split your infinitives - C+". On the other hand, it is a disservice to students who will have to write professionally not to teach them how to write in an accepted format. Unfortunately, a lot of graduates hit the working world with the attitude "as long as you know what I meant, it's fine."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #2163 on: February 07, 2014, 11:10:55 AM »
Teachers are under a lot of pressure to be "tolerant of different means of self-expression." This means, sometimes, not criticizing students for grammar, spelling, illegible handwriting, or other examples of non-conformity.

I can agree with this, to a point. I would hate to see a student pour out his/her heart in impassioned, and well-reasoned, prose, only to have it returned with "You split your infinitives - C+". On the other hand, it is a disservice to students who will have to write professionally not to teach them how to write in an accepted format. Unfortunately, a lot of graduates hit the working world with the attitude "as long as you know what I meant, it's fine."

Isn't there a happy medium? I'm pretty bad at spelling. And my grammar is pretty wonky. And lots not even start on my handwriting ok? But I've always loved to write and I'm pretty good writer. My teachers wouldn't mark me down terribly for spelling or grammar but rather give me tools to help me. Like insisting we always have someone proof read our work (by the way, it's always been my best friend, her writing isn't the best and dang can she spell and she's pretty good with grammar too. She's been proofing my work since grade school), or telling me to slow down, look words up, ect. And I'd get the same with my handwriting, just slow down a little. It's still not great, but it is legible and neat.

I'm not a teacher, nor do I play one on TV (which is good, because they're all twerking with students, or sleeping with students, really TV teachers have gotten quite terrible), but I'd want my pretend child to be able to formulate a decent sentence and also express themselves. I'm pretty sure they aren't mutually exclusive.

Though I did once have a boss who while checking her step-daughters homework, lost it over it being "sloppy" (didn't look too bad to me) and erased everything she'd done and made her re-do it. It was math homework and I guess her numbers were "sloppy", she really tore the poor girl down. So I could see it getting out of hand. Of course boss lady was not a nice person in general. There's an encouraging way to give criticism and a discouraging way. She was all about the discouraging way.

Carotte

« Reply #2164 on: February 07, 2014, 03:14:12 PM »
I had barely (and mis)diagnosed dyslexia (and undiagnosed disortographia) in school. In middle and high-school I remember non-language teachers marking my mistakes but not correcting them, it would have taken them wayyy too long.
I don't remember with which frequency they would dock point, I'd like to think it was quite clear I had a learning disability and wasn't just not paying attention, but it did happen and I understood why.

I'm not sure any learning disability can explain the "i" vs "I" or not using a capital and a period to start/end a phrase, that's laziness. (ok, there must be some, but by that level of disability the teacher should know or there should be some kind of help put in place, I'm talking regular track students).
It's different from they/there/their where there can at least be a problem between phonetic and graphic input/output.

Margo

« Reply #2165 on: February 07, 2014, 03:35:58 PM »
A University wasn't a requirement for City status in England,  just a cathedral.(or, more specifically, a Bishop).  Which is why Wells, in Somerset, is a city, despite being a small market town.

I *think* that a Royal Charter is required to create a city so the criteria doesn't apply any longer.

Yeah, I knew the cathedral was a definite. As you say, it's all done by Royal charter now.

Aren't both Oxford and Cambridge cities without cathedrals?  I'm guessing their city status has something to do with royalty attending the universities.

Cambridge is cathedral-less: the area's cathedral and bishop are located some fifteen miles down the road, at Ely. I'd figure that Cambridge's city status is, in one way or another, an exception derived from the place's being the site "since forever", of a prestigious university.

Oxford has a bishop, and a cathedral -- said cathedral being within -- and the place of worship serving -- Oxford University's Christ Church College.  All Oxford and Cambridge colleges, except maybe some of the newest ones, have in-built chapels, in which services of worship take place.  Christ Church College, Oxford, has a centuries-old reputation for being the university's most insufferably snooty-and-snobby college -- it's where the gilded and supercilious scions of the aristocracy have long gone for their studies: students at Christ Church have long taken it for granted that they are "the People, and the Only People" -- proles at other colleges, are beneath contempt. (OK, a bit of exaggeration and cherished-Oxford-myth stuff there.)  Thus, Christ Church bods have long been fond of saying: "you low-lifes have mere chapels in your colleges. We've got a cathedral."

Yes, Oxford has a cathedral. Cambridge only officially became a city in 1951 :-)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2166 on: February 07, 2014, 05:11:52 PM »
First Aid - the very basics - washing a wound with hot water, soap, or some kind of disinfectant (if shallow) or seeking medical care if it is deeper than the skin (especially puncture wounds).

VorGuy is NOT the person to turn to for emergency medical care - unless you get quite insistent on it being time to see a DOCTOR.

I have learned that VorGuy needs to be told, bluntly, "take ____ to the ER NOW" - he was never a Boy Scout tm and had no real training in what to do if someone was injured.  Apparently the medics in the squad were supposed to take care of that or his mother, wife, sister (an RN), or some other person who knew more than he did about what to do.

(((sigh)))  He has good points - but he grew up in the John Wayne era and he doesn't like seeing doctors.  I'm not sure if there is any cause & effect or just coincidence...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 08:40:21 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2167 on: February 07, 2014, 07:44:19 PM »
Visit their web site, it's worth the trip. ;)

Is the winkie because the visit to the website is worth the trip?
It made me smile.

Jocelyn

« Reply #2168 on: February 07, 2014, 09:35:25 PM »

It made me smile.
Well, *I* think their website is well worth looking at. YMMV. The winkie was intended to soften what otherwise might come off as a rather arrogant command.

Actually, I'd recommend a visit to the basilica, if you're ever in the area. It's in a remote section of Missouri, so staying in the guest house is probably your cheapest and most convenient housing option, too. There is a women's cloister a few miles away at Clyde.

I spent Christmas there about 10 years ago, and it was one of the loveliest weeks of my life. Even though it was absolutely arctic, and getting up for prayers at 6:15 am and trotting through the dark and cold from the guesthouse to the monastery required considerable discipline.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #2169 on: February 07, 2014, 10:07:17 PM »
Today I was talking with two coworkers: one Australian and one American. We were all discussing the Olympics and the Australian said that he was always a little disappointed that he didn't get to watch his own country's athletes on tv: rather he had to hunt for videos online. Our American coworker was surprised that:

A) Australia has a winter Olympic team (But it's summer there now!)
B) That an Australian wouldn't automatically want to watch all the American competitors (But we're the best!)

We set him straight and he left us with the classic line "Huh, I never thought of that before!"

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2170 on: February 07, 2014, 10:11:59 PM »

It made me smile.
Well, *I* think their website is well worth looking at. YMMV. The winkie was intended to soften what otherwise might come off as a rather arrogant command.

Actually, I'd recommend a visit to the basilica, if you're ever in the area. It's in a remote section of Missouri, so staying in the guest house is probably your cheapest and most convenient housing option, too. There is a women's cloister a few miles away at Clyde.

I spent Christmas there about 10 years ago, and it was one of the loveliest weeks of my life. Even though it was absolutely arctic, and getting up for prayers at 6:15 am and trotting through the dark and cold from the guesthouse to the monastery required considerable discipline.

It didn't come off as the least bit arrogant. I just thought you were making a work-geek-type joke that even the *website* is worth a "visit" (since people "visit" websites).

It sounds really neat.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2171 on: February 07, 2014, 10:12:32 PM »
Today I was talking with two coworkers: one Australian and one American. We were all discussing the Olympics and the Australian said that he was always a little disappointed that he didn't get to watch his own country's athletes on tv: rather he had to hunt for videos online. Our American coworker was surprised that:

B) That an Australian wouldn't automatically want to watch all the American competitors (But we're the best!)

We set him straight and he left us with the classic line "Huh, I never thought of that before!"

I get kind of annoyed, actually, at how few options we Americans get when it comes to Olympics coverage.  Sure, I'm happy to watch our own athletes.  I also want to watch athletes from other countries!  Half our coverage is our own team and most of the other half is sappy human interest vignettes about their home lives, though - as much as it may be interesting to find out who has twin boys and who grew up in Brooklyn, it would be more interesting to actually watch world-class athletes compete in the sports they went to the Olympics for.

Just my $0.02 (from someone who doesn't have cable anyway . . .)

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #2172 on: February 07, 2014, 10:19:27 PM »

I get kind of annoyed, actually, at how few options we Americans get when it comes to Olympics coverage.  Sure, I'm happy to watch our own athletes.  I also want to watch athletes from other countries!  Half our coverage is our own team and most of the other half is sappy human interest vignettes about their home lives, though - as much as it may be interesting to find out who has twin boys and who grew up in Brooklyn, it would be more interesting to actually watch world-class athletes compete in the sports they went to the Olympics for.

I totally agree with you, and some of the bad stuff from the London coverage by NBC really ticked me off as well (like not showing the 7/7 tribute). I get that we're America, so of course they're going to tail the US athletes. But like you, Slartibartfast, I want to see a variety of athletes. 

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Bethczar

« Reply #2173 on: February 07, 2014, 10:33:18 PM »

I totally agree with you, and some of the bad stuff from the London coverage by NBC really ticked me off as well (like not showing the 7/7 tribute). I get that we're America, so of course they're going to tail the US athletes. But like you, Slartibartfast, I want to see a variety of athletes.
I wouldn't even mind the sappy stuff if they showed some non-Americans' stories. And I'd love to see more about some of the countries that have only one or two athletes at the games.

Yes, Go Team USA, but isn't this a world event?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2174 on: February 07, 2014, 10:51:04 PM »
Sorry, but I want Canada to win at hockey just so Team USA doesn't win. :p

I remember going to see the USA vs Canada hockey, there were a lot more cheers for Canada.