Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 307304 times)

Bethczar

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2175 on: February 07, 2014, 11:18:03 PM »
That's because Canada is awesome. I always like to see them win at hockey. But USA ( or whatever your home country is) for everything else!  ;D

Jocelyn

« Reply #2176 on: February 07, 2014, 11:36:27 PM »
It's not so much of a problem with the Winter Olympics, but I'm always irritated during the Summer Olympics that they don't cover all the sports. Fewer 'human interest' stories, more coverage of events like fencing and equestrian events!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2177 on: February 08, 2014, 12:46:09 AM »
hmmm, maybe it's because I have a bazillion channels via satellite, but during the London Olympics I managed to see and record most of the sports, not just the more popular ones.  NBC's olympic website had full replays of all of the events. And their satellite channels also carried the lesser known sports. 

I expect the same thing to happen with these olympics.  If I can't watch something live, then I'll record and watch it later.

Coruscation

« Reply #2178 on: February 08, 2014, 02:56:29 AM »
This will be the third Olympics I haven't watched the coverage has been horrible and the TV Guide worse. I just want to watch some gymnastics. Putting Olympics (list of 20 sports including gymnastics) 8am - 12pm doesn't make me want to watch for four hours instead of 15 minutes, it makes me go do something else instead.

CakeEater

« Reply #2179 on: February 08, 2014, 07:09:06 AM »
It's not so much of a problem with the Winter Olympics, but I'm always irritated during the Summer Olympics that they don't cover all the sports. Fewer 'human interest' stories, more coverage of events like fencing and equestrian events!

Yes! Australia is OK at swimming internationally, I get it. But if you watch Olympic coverage, the first 6 days are the back of someone's head swimming up and down the pool. Heats, semi-finals, finals - every stroke of every race.

I want to see the hammer throw!

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #2180 on: February 08, 2014, 07:13:30 AM »
My son's high school lost power this morning, and is still continuing the day as close to normal operations as possible.

Yes, it is possible to have a class with no power.

We have 11 rooms without windows 2 because of the addition, 9 because they were built to be "safer"* during a tornado. They just move to the hall or cafeteria. But the health department will shut us down at lunch time because they cannot safely serve lunch. That is after 9:30 (not by much but after) so it counts as . a full day.

*5 of the rooms have exterior walls, and 1 is the science lab so they have to cram everyone into 3 rooms during drills. All the other classrooms have windows and exterior walls - and no interior halls. Halls between the rooms all have a door to the garden and that wall is almost all glass.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Psychopoesie

« Reply #2181 on: February 08, 2014, 07:18:34 AM »

Yes! Australia is OK at swimming internationally, I get it. But if you watch Olympic coverage, the first 6 days are the back of someone's head swimming up and down the pool. Heats, semi-finals, finals - every stroke of every race.

Same. Bring on the hammer throw. Or the archery. & never being able to find out when they're going to broadcast those events is so frustrating.

One of the reasons I enjoy the Winter Olympics is that there's more variety in the coverage because there are fewer Australians competing. This will be the first Olympics where I've got the tv channel (10) app on iPad & hope to be able to catch up on the stuff I really care about. Still early days though.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2182 on: February 08, 2014, 12:14:23 PM »
Sorry, but I want Canada to win at hockey just so Team USA doesn't win. :p

I remember going to see the USA vs Canada hockey, there were a lot more cheers for Canada.

Hockey is a religion in Canada (my family is Canadian, even though I was raised in the US), not so much in the US. I know you know that, just commenting to add that. My mom's first cousin is a relatively famous hockey player (at least in Ontario), and his town named a hockey rink after him.  :)

Jocelyn

« Reply #2183 on: February 08, 2014, 12:39:53 PM »
This will be the third Olympics I haven't watched the coverage has been horrible and the TV Guide worse. I just want to watch some gymnastics. Putting Olympics (list of 20 sports including gymnastics) 8am - 12pm doesn't make me want to watch for four hours instead of 15 minutes, it makes me go do something else instead.
I'm confused. This is the Winter Olympics- gymnastics are part of the Summer Olympics.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2184 on: February 08, 2014, 02:11:46 PM »
I just wish it were easier to watch Olympics coverage if you don't have TV.  We don't get a broadcast signal and don't subscribe to cable.  It would be really nice if NBC would put *all* of it online, instead of just the bits and pieces they feel like doing.  I would particularly have liked to show my girls the Parade of Nations.  It's one of my favorite parts of the start of the Olympics, but I can't find it at all.  I don't have a cable account, so I can't log in to see anything.  I'd be happy to watch a bunch of commercials if I could then actually see the Parade of Nations.  I wouldn't even mind it being broken up with a commercial between every few countries, I just wish they'd show it somehow.  We never got to see it at all in the summer Olympics, which was sad as we were in the midst of studying world geography and it would have been really nice.

(And yes, I've seen plenty of directions for how to see the Olympics illegally, but I can't find any *legal* way to do it.)

On the plus side, my parents have a DVR and have been recording, so maybe when we visit them they'll still have it and we can watch it.  Not ideal, as it would be nice to be visiting with them when we're there.  But it's an option.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2185 on: February 08, 2014, 03:00:08 PM »
I agree with you guys that I do not like the way NBC presents the Olympic coverage. With the London Olympics, it was very irritating to be watching a competition, they'd show the American and other leaders but break away from coverage to switch to human interest. I expect to deal with the same issue with ice skating coverage this year. In my opinion, NBC is over "producing" and is way too proud of their coverage.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2186 on: February 08, 2014, 04:15:09 PM »
I just wish it were easier to watch Olympics coverage if you don't have TV.  We don't get a broadcast signal and don't subscribe to cable.  It would be really nice if NBC would put *all* of it online, instead of just the bits and pieces they feel like doing.  I would particularly have liked to show my girls the Parade of Nations.  It's one of my favorite parts of the start of the Olympics, but I can't find it at all.  I don't have a cable account, so I can't log in to see anything.  I'd be happy to watch a bunch of commercials if I could then actually see the Parade of Nations.  I wouldn't even mind it being broken up with a commercial between every few countries, I just wish they'd show it somehow.  We never got to see it at all in the summer Olympics, which was sad as we were in the midst of studying world geography and it would have been really nice.

(And yes, I've seen plenty of directions for how to see the Olympics illegally, but I can't find any *legal* way to do it.)

On the plus side, my parents have a DVR and have been recording, so maybe when we visit them they'll still have it and we can watch it.  Not ideal, as it would be nice to be visiting with them when we're there.  But it's an option.

Are you in the US?  Because everything IS online. I woke up this morning to see that an American had won the first gold medal. So I watched the full event on the Olympic site.

If you are not in the US then what is available to you may not be up to NBC but May have to do with their contracts in various countries.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell Peopl
« Reply #2187 on: February 08, 2014, 04:30:06 PM »

Just as a small point, but the athletics (including the hammer throwing) doesn't start until the second week of competition, while the swimming is in the first week. (Roughly, at least - there's a bit of crossover.) /pedantry

On a more general point, you guys are really making me appreciate the BBC coverage of the Olympics. Granted, they really did go all out in 2012 (I still believe that sailing lacks something as a televised sport!), but they do seem to show coverage of most events and regardless of whether we (the UK) are likely to win something.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #2188 on: February 08, 2014, 04:35:48 PM »
Today I was talking with two coworkers: one Australian and one American. We were all discussing the Olympics and the Australian said that he was always a little disappointed that he didn't get to watch his own country's athletes on tv: rather he had to hunt for videos online. Our American coworker was surprised that:

A) Australia has a winter Olympic team (But it's summer there now!)
B) That an Australian wouldn't automatically want to watch all the American competitors (But we're the best!)

We set him straight and he left us with the classic line "Huh, I never thought of that before!"

At least we get some snow here in Australia.  Not like Jamaica - and their bobsled team qualified this year too!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2189 on: February 08, 2014, 05:08:41 PM »

Are you in the US?  Because everything IS online. I woke up this morning to see that an American had won the first gold medal. So I watched the full event on the Olympic site.

If you are not in the US then what is available to you may not be up to NBC but May have to do with their contracts in various countries.

As far as I can tell, NBC still does require you to be a cable subscriber to see more than five minutes a day on their site.  There will probably be YouTube clips of things in the future, if you know where to look, but it's not the same as actually getting to watch something when you know what you want to see.