News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 23, 2017, 07:44:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 1218415 times)

Jocelyn

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2295 on: February 16, 2014, 01:30:21 PM »
I really hate that idea that life must have been better/more natural/etc "way back when".  For all the issues our current day has, I'm really enamored with modern heating/cooling systems, modern plumbing, worldwide shipping so I can have veggies, fruits and meats out of season, and an educational system that allows women to be taught.   :P
Paper personal hygiene product. Just sayin'. ::)

Thipu1

« Reply #2296 on: February 16, 2014, 01:36:13 PM »
I really hate that idea that life must have been better/more natural/etc "way back when".  For all the issues our current day has, I'm really enamored with modern heating/cooling systems, modern plumbing, worldwide shipping so I can have veggies, fruits and meats out of season, and an educational system that allows women to be taught.   :P

No one has yet said anything about modern medicine.  I had an ailment on my teens that would have killed me if I had lived in my Grandparents' generation.

jaxsue

« Reply #2297 on: February 16, 2014, 01:39:13 PM »

No one has yet said anything about modern medicine.  I had an ailment on my teens that would have killed me if I had lived in my Grandparents' generation.

I am very happy to live now, if only for the medical advancements we've had. Last year I had a very bad ankle break; I broke multiple bones and required 2 surgeries plus lots of therapy. Imagine that 100+ yrs ago...I would've been "crippled" (as they'd have called it, wanting to be historically accurate) for life!  :o

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #2298 on: February 16, 2014, 01:57:47 PM »
Yes, one of the professors in the anthropology college I am an undergrad in just gave birth. Lots of complications and it is very likely neither mom or baby would have survived without modern medicine.

Since I was born with asthma and have needed corrective lenses all my life, mine would have been a miserable one before modern medicine.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #2299 on: February 16, 2014, 02:06:16 PM »

I am very happy to live now, if only for the medical advancements we've had. Last year I had a very bad ankle break; I broke multiple bones and required 2 surgeries plus lots of therapy. Imagine that 100+ yrs ago...I would've been "crippled" (as they'd have called it, wanting to be historically accurate) for life!  :o
If it was a compound fracture, you would certainly have been crippled or dead.  "Treatment" in those days usually meant amputation, and sterilization of the operating site and tools would have been hit or miss.  Older doctors tended to think that antisepsis was sheer nonsense -- how could invisible bugs cause illness?!?

I would be dead of appendicitis at 24, leaving behind a toddler and an infant.  DD1 would have died at 11, also appendicitis.  Grandson2 would have been severely brain-damaged at birth, or stillborn.  (Prolapsed umbilical cord = emergency C-section.)  DH would have died at 49, of a widowmaker heart attack. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

TootsNYC

« Reply #2300 on: February 16, 2014, 02:16:01 PM »

Yeah, my husband has studied a lot of history. Someone asked him what era he wanted to live in.

He said, "This one, when we have penicillin and my daughter can go to college and own property."

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #2301 on: February 16, 2014, 02:35:03 PM »
It wasn't that long ago that out-of-season fruits and veggies just weren't available.  I can remember when the winter fresh fruit selection was oranges, 2 or 3 kinds of apples (Red Delicious, Yellow Delicious, Macintosh) and bananas.  Strawberries?  In January?  HAHAHA!  They're in the frozen foods, lady.

And I'm with you on modern heating.  I can remember how cold the house used to get overnight, and how we kids stayed in bed until Dad built the fires in the heating stoves.  How much sheer WORK it was to cut and split and stack enough wood to heat the house all winter, because we kids had to help.  How it was too hot close to the stove, but too cold at the other end of the room, so that you had to search for the "Goldilocks" point of the room where it was just right.   
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #2302 on: February 16, 2014, 02:40:39 PM »
Our Christmas stockings have always had an orange in the toe.  Mainly because when my parents were children, the only time through the winter that oranges would be available is around Christmas time.  They were a real treat.

Without modern medicine, I probably wouldn't be here, either.  I suffered from a lot of tonsillitis related ear infections through my early childhood, with my tonsils being removed at age 7.  And I had melanoma at age 31.  Only excised, no radiation or chemo but there likely wouldn't have been the diagnotics around to determine that the mole needed to be removed.

My mother might not have survived childbirth in the past.  She was in labor for 24 hours with one of us, 25 hours with the other in the 60's.  No C-section that I'm aware of but certainly difficult for her.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2303 on: February 16, 2014, 03:19:34 PM »
If you are going to go back in time, going back to the Romans isn't such a bad idea. It's certainly a better idea than the Middle Ages. They had clean water, heating, medicine (of a kind), roads, take away food, literature and the aqueduct ;). Roman times were also rather cosmopolitan, so you wouldn't be burnt as a heretic for having modern ideas. And slaves were a given, which is why the Romans didn't progress as much as they could have technologically.

Though you might come back with a few parasites from back then too. So it would be a visit rather than a move.

katycoo

« Reply #2304 on: February 16, 2014, 04:37:05 PM »

Yeah, my husband has studied a lot of history. Someone asked him what era he wanted to live in.

He said, "This one, when we have penicillin and my daughter can go to college and own property."

On the daughter thing, this is coming from the POV of a man who can see the value of women because of the era he lives in.  If he was back in the 1700s and was told of this magical future with medecine and female capabilities, he might marvel at the medecine but wonder why women needed to be educated or own property...

Just an amusing observation.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #2305 on: February 16, 2014, 05:12:53 PM »

On the daughter thing, this is coming from the POV of a man who can see the value of women because of the era he lives in.  If he was back in the 1700s and was told of this magical future with medecine and female capabilities, he might marvel at the medecine but wonder why women needed to be educated or own property...

Just an amusing observation.

Very true, although made me think of a funny anecdote from a relative's journal (my great grandmother's grandfather. so I guess my great great great?) He had a single child, a daughter and was very concerned about his property remaining hers after his death. He just KNEW his girl would run things properly but didn't trust his nephews/brothers who might take what belonged to his daughter. So he wrote about "choosing" her a husband who was weak willed and she would be able to run as well as she could the family farm.

Not that all his hard work in choosing the man did him any good. She married the young man's father, who was ggggrandfather's best friend. His journals after the wedding frequently mentioned that he had raised her a little "too strong" after all.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #2306 on: February 16, 2014, 08:05:41 PM »
Quote from: jaxsue on Today at 01:39:13 PM

If it was a compound fracture, you would certainly have been crippled or dead.  "Treatment" in those days usually meant amputation, and sterilization of the operating site and tools would have been hit or miss.  Older doctors tended to think that antisepsis was sheer nonsense -- how could invisible bugs cause illness?!?

++++++++++++++

I think that I trimmed the quote tree correctly....(phooey - it didn't work - so I fixed it the old fashioned way - without the coded tags).

I heard a story as a teenager (40 years ago) about a First World doctor treating Stone Age patients in South America.  He was treating eye infections that caused blindness and there were tell tale secretions....antibiotic ointment would cure things, if it was applied for the correct length of time.

Like many people, they would treat with antibiotics until the patient improved, then stop - for whatever reason.

He didn't have anyone stop treating the infection after he changed the explanation from "invisible germs" to an "invisible dragon" that was eating the eyes.  The magic ointment put it to sleep.  But it took so many days for the dragon to starve to death...if they stopped early, the dragon just woke up hungrier....

I often wondered if "invisible dragons" would get the attention of First World patients, too....

VorGuy stopped taking antibiotics with bacterial pneumonia. He insisted that he was fine and refused to listen to me. He had a relapse while we were visiting his parents, my parents, and his sister (an RN).  After his sister (nurse), his MIL (lab tech in a research facility), and his mother (I think it was the line about "do what the doctor tells you, the way I taught you") - he never stopped taking antibiotics early again...unless the doctor changed the treatment. 

He just switched last week from med #1 to med #2 due to the second one being better for an abscessed tooth....he still hates taking meds - but he hates an abscess worse.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 08:11:19 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Luci

« Reply #2307 on: February 16, 2014, 09:10:37 PM »
My mother died in 1969 of breast cancer. We have no doubt that with today's  testing and treatment she would have lived for another 40 years. And I am a survivor of an event in 1952 because of penicillin.

I understand that Abraham Lincoln would quite likely have survived his gunshot today, and that Ronald Reagan's wound was actually far worse than Lincoln's.

Communications, medical care, and transportation have so improved during my lifetime to such an extent that I am in awe.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2308 on: February 17, 2014, 05:18:23 AM »
I heard James Garfield might have lived had Alexander Graham Bell had not insisted in poking him with wires.

Coralreef

« Reply #2309 on: February 17, 2014, 11:00:28 AM »
My mother always said that everything was better when she was young.  Then she would tell stories about getting up in winter to frozen water pans, out-houses, cleaning rags for the "monthlies", babies dying of various illnesses and women in childbirth.  She was also pulled out of school in third grade, because you don't really need to be educated too much to take care of babies and a house.

I'm definitely not moving to another time period. 
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." - Office coffee cup.