Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 304049 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2310 on: February 16, 2014, 04:19:34 PM »
If you are going to go back in time, going back to the Romans isn't such a bad idea. It's certainly a better idea than the Middle Ages. They had clean water, heating, medicine (of a kind), roads, take away food, literature and the aqueduct ;). Roman times were also rather cosmopolitan, so you wouldn't be burnt as a heretic for having modern ideas. And slaves were a given, which is why the Romans didn't progress as much as they could have technologically.

Though you might come back with a few parasites from back then too. So it would be a visit rather than a move.

katycoo

« Reply #2311 on: February 16, 2014, 05:37:05 PM »
I really hate that idea that life must have been better/more natural/etc "way back when".  For all the issues our current day has, I'm really enamored with modern heating/cooling systems, modern plumbing, worldwide shipping so I can have veggies, fruits and meats out of season, and an educational system that allows women to be taught.   :P

Yeah, my husband has studied a lot of history. Someone asked him what era he wanted to live in.

He said, "This one, when we have penicillin and my daughter can go to college and own property."

On the daughter thing, this is coming from the POV of a man who can see the value of women because of the era he lives in.  If he was back in the 1700s and was told of this magical future with medecine and female capabilities, he might marvel at the medecine but wonder why women needed to be educated or own property...

Just an amusing observation.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #2312 on: February 16, 2014, 06:12:53 PM »
I really hate that idea that life must have been better/more natural/etc "way back when".  For all the issues our current day has, I'm really enamored with modern heating/cooling systems, modern plumbing, worldwide shipping so I can have veggies, fruits and meats out of season, and an educational system that allows women to be taught.   :P

Yeah, my husband has studied a lot of history. Someone asked him what era he wanted to live in.

He said, "This one, when we have penicillin and my daughter can go to college and own property."

On the daughter thing, this is coming from the POV of a man who can see the value of women because of the era he lives in.  If he was back in the 1700s and was told of this magical future with medecine and female capabilities, he might marvel at the medecine but wonder why women needed to be educated or own property...

Just an amusing observation.

Very true, although made me think of a funny anecdote from a relative's journal (my great grandmother's grandfather. so I guess my great great great?) He had a single child, a daughter and was very concerned about his property remaining hers after his death. He just KNEW his girl would run things properly but didn't trust his nephews/brothers who might take what belonged to his daughter. So he wrote about "choosing" her a husband who was weak willed and she would be able to run as well as she could the family farm.

Not that all his hard work in choosing the man did him any good. She married the young man's father, who was ggggrandfather's best friend. His journals after the wedding frequently mentioned that he had raised her a little "too strong" after all.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2313 on: February 16, 2014, 09:05:41 PM »
Quote from: jaxsue on Today at 01:39:13 PM

If it was a compound fracture, you would certainly have been crippled or dead.  "Treatment" in those days usually meant amputation, and sterilization of the operating site and tools would have been hit or miss.  Older doctors tended to think that antisepsis was sheer nonsense -- how could invisible bugs cause illness?!?

++++++++++++++

I think that I trimmed the quote tree correctly....(phooey - it didn't work - so I fixed it the old fashioned way - without the coded tags).

I heard a story as a teenager (40 years ago) about a First World doctor treating Stone Age patients in South America.  He was treating eye infections that caused blindness and there were tell tale secretions....antibiotic ointment would cure things, if it was applied for the correct length of time.

Like many people, they would treat with antibiotics until the patient improved, then stop - for whatever reason.

He didn't have anyone stop treating the infection after he changed the explanation from "invisible germs" to an "invisible dragon" that was eating the eyes.  The magic ointment put it to sleep.  But it took so many days for the dragon to starve to death...if they stopped early, the dragon just woke up hungrier....

I often wondered if "invisible dragons" would get the attention of First World patients, too....

VorGuy stopped taking antibiotics with bacterial pneumonia. He insisted that he was fine and refused to listen to me. He had a relapse while we were visiting his parents, my parents, and his sister (an RN).  After his sister (nurse), his MIL (lab tech in a research facility), and his mother (I think it was the line about "do what the doctor tells you, the way I taught you") - he never stopped taking antibiotics early again...unless the doctor changed the treatment. 

He just switched last week from med #1 to med #2 due to the second one being better for an abscessed tooth....he still hates taking meds - but he hates an abscess worse.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:11:19 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2314 on: February 16, 2014, 10:10:37 PM »
My mother died in 1969 of breast cancer. We have no doubt that with today's  testing and treatment she would have lived for another 40 years. And I am a survivor of an event in 1952 because of penicillin.

I understand that Abraham Lincoln would quite likely have survived his gunshot today, and that Ronald Reagan's wound was actually far worse than Lincoln's.

Communications, medical care, and transportation have so improved during my lifetime to such an extent that I am in awe.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2315 on: February 17, 2014, 06:18:23 AM »
I heard James Garfield might have lived had Alexander Graham Bell had not insisted in poking him with wires.

Coralreef

« Reply #2316 on: February 17, 2014, 12:00:28 PM »
My mother always said that everything was better when she was young.  Then she would tell stories about getting up in winter to frozen water pans, out-houses, cleaning rags for the "monthlies", babies dying of various illnesses and women in childbirth.  She was also pulled out of school in third grade, because you don't really need to be educated too much to take care of babies and a house.

I'm definitely not moving to another time period. 

[/right

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #2317 on: February 17, 2014, 12:12:37 PM »
As a kid I remember reading a book about a modern Jewish girl who is transported back in time to WWII, and when she asks someone what year it is, they say something like, "3023," and she's like, "WHAT? It can't be the future!" But the person she was talking to was using the Jewish year numbering system, which apparently was no longer common in her era. I think that was the first time it occurred to me that different groups could have different dating systems.

Multiple calendar systems is a serious pain for software developers if they want to make their programs fully localized.  My old copy of "Guide to Macintosh Software Localization" lists five calendar systems (Gregorian, Arabic Lunar, Jewish, Iranian National and Japanese Imperial.) Dealing with ancient history you might also need the Julian calendar or at least conversions. Then there are different conventions within these calendar systems; for example, the US is mm/dd/yyyy while in Europe it's more likely dd/mm/yyyy. Some computer systems use yyyy-mm-dd since that makes putting things in time order much easier.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2318 on: February 17, 2014, 12:31:52 PM »
If you are going to go back in time, going back to the Romans isn't such a bad idea. It's certainly a better idea than the Middle Ages. They had clean water, heating, medicine (of a kind), roads, take away food, literature and the aqueduct ;). Roman times were also rather cosmopolitan, so you wouldn't be burnt as a heretic for having modern ideas. And slaves were a given, which is why the Romans didn't progress as much as they could have technologically.

Though you might come back with a few parasites from back then too. So it would be a visit rather than a move.

I can't picture the Middle Ages without thinking of how Monty Python depicted that era!  :)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2319 on: February 17, 2014, 12:33:24 PM »
My mother always said that everything was better when she was young.  Then she would tell stories about getting up in winter to frozen water pans, out-houses, cleaning rags for the "monthlies", babies dying of various illnesses and women in childbirth.  She was also pulled out of school in third grade, because you don't really need to be educated too much to take care of babies and a house.

My mom talks about how, during the great depression, she and her family moved to a farmhouse that had no electricity. This was in N. Ontario, so winters were rough. Sometimes water left out froze. Her mom's false teeth would be in a solid block of ice some mornings.  :-[

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2320 on: February 17, 2014, 12:37:17 PM »
As a child, my father's employer had a beautiful chalet in the mountains in New Mexico. However, during the colder half of the year, the pipes would freeze, so my sisters and dad would go to the creek to get water in buckets for cooking, washing anything that water was needed for.

The old-fashioned things I liked about that place are that there was no television, so we played lots of board games, went sight seeing and read a lot.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2321 on: February 17, 2014, 12:57:00 PM »
Katana_Geldar wrote:

"If you are going to go back in time, going back to the Romans isn't such a bad idea. It's certainly a better idea than the Middle Ages."

The Middle Ages were a pretty good time to be alive, if you weren't near western Europe.  Many of the populated places of the world were doing pretty well then.

Virg

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2322 on: February 17, 2014, 01:04:06 PM »

My mom talks about how, during the great depression, she and her family moved to a farmhouse that had no electricity. This was in N. Ontario, so winters were rough. Sometimes water left out froze. Her mom's false teeth would be in a solid block of ice some mornings.  :-[

My dad used to go camping with his boy scout troop back in the day.  He very vividly remembers the scoutmaster having to chip his dentures out of the cup of ice in the morning.

ETA: From that same trip: popcorn muffins.  If you put popcorn into the muffin batter, IT WILL NOT POP and you will have muffins full of gravel.  The idea probably came from the boys, but you'd think one of the adults might have realized it might not work . . .

Carotte

« Reply #2323 on: February 17, 2014, 01:32:46 PM »

My dad used to go camping with his boy scout troop back in the day.  He very vividly remembers the scoutmaster having to chip his dentures out of the cup of ice in the morning.

ETA: From that same trip: popcorn muffins.  If you put popcorn into the muffin batter, IT WILL NOT POP and you will have muffins full of gravel.  The idea probably came from the boys, but you'd think one of the adults might have realized it might not work . . .

Depending on the quantity of corn, even if they did pop it sounds like a recipe for disaster, or at least an oven full of batter. They would have expended like crazy!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #2324 on: February 18, 2014, 08:11:45 AM »
Paper personal hygiene product. Just sayin'. ::)

Not to mention bloody rags every month.  My mother told me about having to wash those and how thrilled she was when she bought her first box of Modess in America.