Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 307922 times)

Free Range Hippy Chick

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2505 on: March 30, 2014, 11:30:11 AM »
That helpful video on the internet in which a young man called Matt demonstrates how to change the bearings and drum shaft on a tumble dryer? When you order the spare parts on line, take a moment and bookmark the video for later.

If you don't bookmark it, then the correct search terms are 'tumble dryer bearings repair' and not 'Matt shaft'.

Otherwise the search findings are... interesting... but not helpful.

Do not ask how I know this.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2506 on: March 30, 2014, 11:49:14 AM »
I had to tell my mother that pork and chicken are meat and vegetarians don't eat them.  Apparently in her mind meat = beef.

I have a reproduction of an 1879 cookbook published in the US South. There are 5 chapters on fleshy foods.
Meat
Beef and Veal
Mutton and Lamb
Poultry
Fish

"Meat," of course,  means "pork," what else?  (Pork was the staple meat in the southern US for a very long time.)

One of my favorite Not Always Right posts is of a woman looking for ham that is not honey-glazed, because her vegan daughter can't eat honey.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2507 on: March 30, 2014, 11:56:07 AM »

One of my favorite Not Always Right posts is of a woman looking for ham that is not honey-glazed, because her vegan daughter can't eat honey.

LOL!!   ;D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2508 on: March 30, 2014, 12:36:07 PM »
One of my coworkers thought tendonitis and carpal tunnel were the same thing. I showed him my anatomy texts.

I don't think this one is something all adults should know.

#1 - Mom was a science teacher when I was a preteen and went back to school when I was in 8th grade.  She ended up working in medical research at a time when their office got everything human or otherwise in the way of publications on anything related to their own research.

#2 - Lil Sis had carpal tunnel surgery about twenty years ago.  I had tendinitis in 2001 and again more recently...no surgery needed. 

But I realize that my science background is unusual - most people don't want to hear about pithing frogs and other science experiments while eating a meal.  I have an unusual tolerance for gross stories if I find the subject matter interesting...I do prefer space science, geology, and archeology to anatomy & medical science, though.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #2509 on: March 30, 2014, 06:44:45 PM »
I had to tell my mother that pork and chicken are meat and vegetarians don't eat them.  Apparently in her mind meat = beef.

"That's ok.  I make lamb."

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2510 on: March 30, 2014, 06:53:13 PM »

LOL!!   ;D

Some vegans don't eat honey as animals were used in making it.

menley

« Reply #2511 on: March 30, 2014, 06:54:39 PM »

LOL!!   ;D

But the point is that the vegan daughter wouldn't be eating the ham regardless....

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2512 on: March 30, 2014, 06:57:10 PM »
Ah...I see. It's Monday morning, so excuse my brain.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2513 on: March 30, 2014, 07:16:18 PM »

LOL!!   ;D

But the point is that the vegan daughter wouldn't be eating the ham regardless....

But hams are vegetarians....

*runs*

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2514 on: March 30, 2014, 07:20:49 PM »
I do not know the answer. Please help!

Do vegans/vegetarians wear: leather, silk, wool or pearls? Use down blankets?

I make jewelry and use pearls and shells quite a bit, and need something for a cousin's bridal shower. I know she likes the beach and was going to make a pearl and shell bracelet, but just found out she is ovo/lacto-vegetarian.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2515 on: March 30, 2014, 07:34:01 PM »
I am not an expert, so anyone feel free to correct me:

1) Vegetarians probably don't do leather, but are likely OK with the others - if the creation of the product requires the death of an animal, it's pretty much a no-go for both vegans and vegetarians, but vegetarians may use products (like wool or eggs) that come from an animal but don't require the animal's death.

2) Vegans generally don't use any products that require the exploitation of animals - eggs, milk, honey. I don't know if that goes for wool, but most likely applies to pearls.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

magicdomino

« Reply #2516 on: March 30, 2014, 07:35:25 PM »
My understanding is that it varies, depending on the reason for being a vegetarian/vegan.  Many vegetarians and vegans are mostly concerned with diet, and don't care about clothing and the like.  Other vegetarians are fine with animal products as long as they don't involve the death of an animal.  Honey and wool are fine; leather, silk, and down are not.  Vegans who base their lifestyle on not using on any animal products at all would refuse all of the above. 

Of course, an individual may compromise on a particular item, like a vegetarian who wears leather shoes, or a vegan who treasures her mother's pearls.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2517 on: March 30, 2014, 11:23:14 PM »

LOL!!   ;D

But hams are vegetarians....

*runs*

Swine are omnivores, as are most of us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #2518 on: March 31, 2014, 12:58:55 AM »

I find the idea of people thinking I exploit my chickens highly amusing. The only one being used is me by them. I provide a warm and safe sleeping coop, a large but well secured and safe area for them to roost and scratch in, lots of grass, trees to nest under, an abundant supply of food and water, guard rottweilers to keep away cats, bags of lettuce leaves . . . . . short of sitting out there waving a fan to cool them and keeping up a continual supply of peeled grapes, I can't think of how they could have a better life.

And anyone who thinks chickens are vegetarians has never seen them spot a mouse going after their food. It's the Benny Hill theme scene in real time.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

katycoo

« Reply #2519 on: March 31, 2014, 07:13:34 AM »
I do not know the answer. Please help!

Do vegans/vegetarians wear: leather, silk, wool or pearls? Use down blankets?

I make jewelry and use pearls and shells quite a bit, and need something for a cousin's bridal shower. I know she likes the beach and was going to make a pearl and shell bracelet, but just found out she is ovo/lacto-vegetarian.

No fixed rules, depends on the particular beliefs of the individual.  Best to ask the person in question or someone likely to know.