News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 26, 2017, 11:53:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 1175225 times)

Team HoundMom

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2520 on: April 01, 2014, 10:47:01 AM »
Some dog park gates I've seen can't be left open unless there's someone there holding it, if you let go the gate shuts, any chance the gates could be changed to this?

I did write Letters to the Editor of both city newspapers suggesting this very thing, but City Hall is cheap and I can guarantee it won't happen.

Depending on the breed, a dog's hunting instinct may well overwhelm its recall training.  Dogs in the sight hound category (greyhounds, afghans,  whippets, etc) were bred to see an opening and run like lightning.  They're gone before you can react. 

Exactly this.  My dog is a Blue Tick Coon Hound. 

TootsNYC

« Reply #2521 on: April 01, 2014, 11:04:30 AM »
Some dog park gates I've seen can't be left open unless there's someone there holding it, if you let go the gate shuts, any chance the gates could be changed to this?

I did write Letters to the Editor of both city newspapers suggesting this very thing, but City Hall is cheap and I can guarantee it won't happen.

Could you contact the Parks Department and find out if they'd take a donation? Then you could get a few people like you to pitch in $5 here and there, and buy one for the Parks people to install, or foot the bill.

It's more work on your end, but it might be effective.

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #2522 on: April 01, 2014, 02:22:14 PM »
Depending on the breed, a dog's hunting instinct may well overwhelm its recall training.  Dogs in the sight hound category (greyhounds, afghans,  whippets, etc) were bred to see an opening and run like lightning.  They're gone before you can react. 

Exactly this.  My dog is a Blue Tick Coon Hound.
Huskies will do this too.  And because they have absolutely no homing instinct, by the time they're finished running they can be 20 miles away with no idea how to get home again.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

Coralreef

« Reply #2523 on: April 01, 2014, 03:44:04 PM »
My Aussie would herd other dogs toward their owners.  ::) 
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." - Office coffee cup.

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #2524 on: April 01, 2014, 06:21:34 PM »
My Aussie would herd other dogs toward their owners.  ::) 
Mine do that. They have been also known to herd misbehaving kids toward their angry parents. My cousin was trying so hard to keep a straight face to scold her son and not laugh at the fact Abby and Andi were pushing her 9 yo son to her.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

P-p-p-penguin

« Reply #2525 on: April 02, 2014, 03:33:41 PM »
This literally happened about an hour ago:
My 28 yr old housemate: Are turtles mammals?
Me: o.O

Reika

« Reply #2526 on: April 02, 2014, 06:03:43 PM »

That made my brain cramp worse than when mom was telling me about Rocky being made as a musical.

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #2527 on: April 02, 2014, 06:35:01 PM »
DH was well into his 40's before it got through his skull that "mammals" and "animals" are not synonymous.  That reptiles and birds and fish were animals too. 
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #2528 on: April 02, 2014, 09:10:18 PM »
That "obfuscate" and "prevaricate" were not another term for "lie" - there are shades of meaning conveyed by which of the three terms you select. 

Because a sentence he heard as a young man had all three terms in it, he thought that they were MUCH closer in meaning.  I had to drag out a dictionary!  I thought I might have to hit him with one of those three to five pound library dictionaries....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

P-p-p-penguin

« Reply #2529 on: April 04, 2014, 12:58:14 AM »

That made my brain cramp worse than when mom was telling me about Rocky being made as a musical.

She comes out with stuff like this all the time. I should start a blog.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #2530 on: April 04, 2014, 03:01:35 AM »
Had to explain to a coworker that hurricanes and tornadoes are not the same thing. I understand that we live in a country that doesn't get much of either, but still....
<3

Thipu1

« Reply #2531 on: April 05, 2014, 11:12:01 AM »
SIL recently heard that, based on BMI, her 6 year-old Grandson is projected to be about 200 pounds when he's 20.  She was very alarmed.

'Unless we put him on a diet right now and keep him on it,  he's going to be huge!'

Probably not. 

The child is tall for his age.  His parents are also tall.  He's very active and likes sports.  He also has a rather sturdy bone structure.  He gets that from his Mother's side of the family. 

We tried to assure her that a weight of 200 pounds for a 6' 3"  young man of 20 does not doom him to be a contestant on 'The Biggest Loser'. 

She was amazed to learn that her brother weighs a little over 200 pounds.  He'd like to lose a bit but he isn't huge. 

We think she was reading 200 pounds as 300 pounds. 

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #2532 on: April 05, 2014, 12:08:08 PM »
SIL recently heard that, based on BMI, her 6 year-old Grandson is projected to be about 200 pounds when he's 20.  She was very alarmed.

'Unless we put him on a diet right now and keep him on it,  he's going to be huge!'

Probably not. 

The child is tall for his age.  His parents are also tall.  He's very active and likes sports.  He also has a rather sturdy bone structure.  He gets that from his Mother's side of the family. 

We tried to assure her that a weight of 200 pounds for a 6' 3"  young man of 20 does not doom him to be a contestant on 'The Biggest Loser'. 

She was amazed to learn that her brother weighs a little over 200 pounds.  He'd like to lose a bit but he isn't huge. 

We think she was reading 200 pounds as 300 pounds.

Wait...people are now extrapolating individual's future weight based on BMI?!  :o Wow...that sounds productive...let's take an already simplistic measure of an individual's current body fat and compound the errors by extrapolating it into the future without accounting for any other factors. Was this a medical professional of some sort? How did they estimate a weight at age 20 from BMI without specifying a height prediction anyway (or did SIL just miss that part)?  ???

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #2533 on: April 05, 2014, 12:39:47 PM »
Adults should really know not to believe everything they read or are told.  Use some common sense.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #2534 on: April 05, 2014, 01:09:54 PM »
My doctor doesn't even use BMI because it doesn't account for variables in physiology.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien