Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 325242 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2535 on: April 02, 2014, 07:35:01 PM »
DH was well into his 40's before it got through his skull that "mammals" and "animals" are not synonymous.  That reptiles and birds and fish were animals too. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2536 on: April 02, 2014, 10:10:18 PM »
That "obfuscate" and "prevaricate" were not another term for "lie" - there are shades of meaning conveyed by which of the three terms you select. 

Because a sentence he heard as a young man had all three terms in it, he thought that they were MUCH closer in meaning.  I had to drag out a dictionary!  I thought I might have to hit him with one of those three to five pound library dictionaries....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

P-p-p-penguin

« Reply #2537 on: April 04, 2014, 01:58:14 AM »
This literally happened about an hour ago:
My 28 yr old housemate: Are turtles mammals?
Me: o.O

That made my brain cramp worse than when mom was telling me about Rocky being made as a musical.

She comes out with stuff like this all the time. I should start a blog.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #2538 on: April 04, 2014, 04:01:35 AM »
Had to explain to a coworker that hurricanes and tornadoes are not the same thing. I understand that we live in a country that doesn't get much of either, but still....
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2539 on: April 05, 2014, 12:12:01 PM »
SIL recently heard that, based on BMI, her 6 year-old Grandson is projected to be about 200 pounds when he's 20.  She was very alarmed.

'Unless we put him on a diet right now and keep him on it,  he's going to be huge!'

Probably not. 

The child is tall for his age.  His parents are also tall.  He's very active and likes sports.  He also has a rather sturdy bone structure.  He gets that from his Mother's side of the family. 

We tried to assure her that a weight of 200 pounds for a 6' 3"  young man of 20 does not doom him to be a contestant on 'The Biggest Loser'. 

She was amazed to learn that her brother weighs a little over 200 pounds.  He'd like to lose a bit but he isn't huge. 

We think she was reading 200 pounds as 300 pounds. 

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #2540 on: April 05, 2014, 01:08:08 PM »
SIL recently heard that, based on BMI, her 6 year-old Grandson is projected to be about 200 pounds when he's 20.  She was very alarmed.

'Unless we put him on a diet right now and keep him on it,  he's going to be huge!'

Probably not. 

The child is tall for his age.  His parents are also tall.  He's very active and likes sports.  He also has a rather sturdy bone structure.  He gets that from his Mother's side of the family. 

We tried to assure her that a weight of 200 pounds for a 6' 3"  young man of 20 does not doom him to be a contestant on 'The Biggest Loser'. 

She was amazed to learn that her brother weighs a little over 200 pounds.  He'd like to lose a bit but he isn't huge. 

We think she was reading 200 pounds as 300 pounds.

Wait...people are now extrapolating individual's future weight based on BMI?!  :o Wow...that sounds productive...let's take an already simplistic measure of an individual's current body fat and compound the errors by extrapolating it into the future without accounting for any other factors. Was this a medical professional of some sort? How did they estimate a weight at age 20 from BMI without specifying a height prediction anyway (or did SIL just miss that part)?  ???

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #2541 on: April 05, 2014, 01:39:47 PM »
Adults should really know not to believe everything they read or are told.  Use some common sense.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2542 on: April 05, 2014, 02:09:54 PM »
My doctor doesn't even use BMI because it doesn't account for variables in physiology.

Tia2

« Reply #2543 on: April 05, 2014, 02:58:34 PM »
My doctor doesn't even use BMI because it doesn't account for variables in physiology.

I once read an article that said most professional rugby players count as clinically obese using BMI because it doesn't take into account the fact that a given volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat.  If it's true (and I'm no expert), I'm guessing the same goes for a lot of professional athletes in sports that require strength.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2544 on: April 05, 2014, 03:57:37 PM »
And even kids.  There was some news article not that long ago about a preteen girl who got a letter sent home from school saying she was obese, based on BMI.  You could see, just looking at her, that she was nowhere near obese.  She was a little on the stocky side and looked strong and muscular.  Her parents were really upset, because telling kids that being fit and strong for sports will get them labeled "obese" is a really backwards way of looking at things and likely to be counterproductive.

faithlessone

« Reply #2545 on: April 05, 2014, 04:03:44 PM »

I once read an article that said most professional rugby players count as clinically obese using BMI because it doesn't take into account the fact that a given volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat.  If it's true (and I'm no expert), I'm guessing the same goes for a lot of professional athletes in sports that require strength.

My uncle does triathlons and used to be an Olympic-grade rower. He counts as "morbidly obese" on the BMI scale. In the majority of cases, I'd say that BMI is useless.

And on the thread subject - yesterday I had to tell a 27 year old man the difference between an "abbreviation" and an "acronym". *facepalm*

Jocelyn

« Reply #2546 on: April 05, 2014, 05:25:11 PM »
My uncle does triathlons and used to be an Olympic-grade rower. He counts as "morbidly obese" on the BMI scale. In the majority of cases, I'd say that BMI is useless.

And on the thread subject - yesterday I had to tell a 27 year old man the difference between an "abbreviation" and an "acronym". *facepalm*
If a person has a greater-than-average lean body mass, BMI is going to be inaccurate, because it's calculated based on the assumption that a person has an average amount of muscle. For a majority of average people, it's a meaningful number, but for athletes or anyone who has more muscle than the average person of their height, it's going to be inaccurate.
LBM is a very important number in calculating the 'correct' weight for an individual. I once had mine done, and discovered that while I was overweight, my LBM was at the exact point where I always leveled off on a diet. My LBM was about 35 pounds higher than the BMI scale said my correct weight should be! No wonder I'd start to plateau at that weight; I'd lost most of the excess fat, and was now trying to lose muscle. I was pretty active at the time, using a bike as my primary means of transportation, and also doing weight lifting. No one, including my doctor, could guess my weight within 20 pounds. Even though I had excess padding, I was still built like a brick house. ;)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2547 on: April 05, 2014, 08:09:03 PM »
Today in the Houston Chronicle, someone stated that working with bonsai was an "anecdote" for stress (paraphrased because I don't have the newspaper page in front of me - page one in the Star section (entertainment, gardening, comics, etc.).

I could see either "antidote" or "anodyne" as it could be a treatment or "partial cure" - but it is not a "story"...

My guess is that someone ran Spell Check without knowing that that word did not mean what they thought it meant....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

IMissItaly

« Reply #2548 on: April 05, 2014, 08:33:47 PM »
I once had someone ask me, in all seriousness, if rabbits crawl up trees.  :D

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2549 on: April 05, 2014, 11:21:13 PM »
I once had someone ask me, in all seriousness, if rabbits crawl up trees.  :D

Well, do they?  ;)