Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 308556 times)

Hurricane Marathon

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2565 on: April 10, 2014, 12:07:08 PM »
This was also the kid who wanted someone to take him to the airport immediately after the wedding so he could come home right away.

This reminded me of my brother-in-law who kept asking us at my Canada Day Party to give him a ride downtown to "get french fries".  Yeah, like I'm going to leave my own party to take you to meet your pot dealer.  ::)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2566 on: April 10, 2014, 04:39:13 PM »
That a guest of honor does NOT leave a party to go out drinking with only ONE member of the group.  They might get away with leaving the party in an ambulance, but any other way of leaving before the party ends is going to be noticed and will not enhance their reputation.

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

blueyzca01

« Reply #2567 on: April 10, 2014, 05:52:19 PM »
Today in the Houston Chronicle, someone stated that working with bonsai was an "anecdote" for stress (paraphrased because I don't have the newspaper page in front of me - page one in the Star section (entertainment, gardening, comics, etc.).

I could see either "antidote" or "anodyne" as it could be a treatment or "partial cure" - but it is not a "story"...

My guess is that someone ran Spell Check without knowing that that word did not mean what they thought it meant....

I read an online article a couple of days ago where they used antidote instead of anecdote ...  I assumed it was a spell-check or autocorrect error.

Ron White has a joke like this in his stand up, explaining that his grammar and vocabulary used to be very poor:

If Id known the difference between anecdote and antidote, my buddy Bob would still be alive today!
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #2568 on: April 10, 2014, 06:32:35 PM »
I had a map that showed the landmasses more accurately  and had the south at the top. So many teachers tried to take it down and put it up right side up - even after my kids showed them the writing was right side up the way it was hung.

Then there were the people that thought it was some geeky map of an "alien" planet from some show or the other.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #2569 on: April 10, 2014, 06:45:39 PM »
Yes, there is no really valid reason why north is Up. Could be SSW or NW or anything.

Victoria

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2570 on: April 10, 2014, 07:45:06 PM »
Yes, there is no really valid reason why north is Up. Could be SSW or NW or anything.

You say that, but the college I went to was oriented NW/SE and all the campus maps had "up" be NE because that was the only reasonable way to fit everything on a rectangular sheet of paper.  Which was fine when everything you were trying to find was in relation to other things on campus, but not as fine when you finally got a car and were trying to find things elsewhere in town - my mental map was rotated 45 degrees  :P

KB

« Reply #2571 on: April 10, 2014, 11:02:16 PM »
I had a map that showed the landmasses more accurately  and had the south at the top. So many teachers tried to take it down and put it up right side up - even after my kids showed them the writing was right side up the way it was hung.

Then there were the people that thought it was some geeky map of an "alien" planet from some show or the other.

People will go crazy when this happens.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #2572 on: April 11, 2014, 09:53:45 AM »

The convention used to be that east was up. That's why we refer to being "oriented."
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2573 on: April 11, 2014, 10:22:28 AM »
You shouldn't sleep in class. Especially a 1 hour class that only meets once a week.

If you miss class, and don't have a close friend you can get notes from, you don't get to complain when you have no idea what those questions on the exam are about.

Dr. F.

« Reply #2574 on: April 11, 2014, 06:24:07 PM »
It annoyed me when on several flights from LA to Honolulu, people (Americans) asked me where they should change currency.

Then I took a ferry from LA to Santa Catalina Island and got the exact same question. I could just kinda stare, open-mouthed, and say, "You're not even leaving Los Angeles COUNTY! Dollars will work!"

Let's not even get into the arguments with people (including post office workers!) about whether Ontario, CALIFORNIA required international postage.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #2575 on: April 12, 2014, 06:57:32 AM »

The convention used to be that east was up. That's why we refer to being "oriented."
That's interesting. I never knew that.

Victoria

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2576 on: April 12, 2014, 09:19:15 AM »
We used a map of the Blue Ridge Parkway (USA, North Carolina to Virginia) which goes SW to NE. The map was printed on a strip in order to not have tons of extra paper to deal with, so it had NE at the top.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #2577 on: April 12, 2014, 11:00:11 AM »
I spent 20 minutes trying to explain the concept of "B.C." to someone who couldn't understand why, on a timeline, the B.C. years were listed backwards.  When we finished, he was still not getting it and I was beginning to wonder why it was that way myself.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #2578 on: April 12, 2014, 05:12:54 PM »
I'm headed to a satellite office on Monday, and asked IT if I could possibly have a loaner computer.

I got a phone message from IT, asking for my password so they could set up my account on the loaner before I arrive on Monday. He then stressed NOT TO E-MAIL THE PASSWORD, as it's a bad practice, and TO CALL HIM, NOT E-MAIL, and if I wasn't in, just forget it and we could do it real quick on Monday, because he does NOT want me to e-mail my password.

That must happen a lot.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

daen

« Reply #2579 on: April 12, 2014, 06:17:20 PM »
I'm headed to a satellite office on Monday, and asked IT if I could possibly have a loaner computer.

I got a phone message from IT, asking for my password so they could set up my account on the loaner before I arrive on Monday. He then stressed NOT TO E-MAIL THE PASSWORD, as it's a bad practice, and TO CALL HIM, NOT E-MAIL, and if I wasn't in, just forget it and we could do it real quick on Monday, because he does NOT want me to e-mail my password.

That must happen a lot.

Sadly, yes. Yes, it does.

source: my husband works in IT.