Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 324162 times)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2595 on: April 18, 2014, 06:39:46 PM »
When you're out sick from work, you should contact someone at work and let them know. Obviously if you're in the emergency room or something, this won't be the first thing on your mind; but if you're just feeling under the weather, you should really contact us to say you won't be in Thursday. Or Friday. Or Monday. Instead of showing up for your first day of work on Wednesday, and then vanishing from the face of the earth until next Tuesday, and claiming you didn't know who to contact.

Also, if you change your schedule for the day, and decide to come in for the afternoon shift instead of the morning as written on the schedule, you should let someone know.

Also, if you're supposed to come in at 10am, but you email to say you'd rather come in at 1pm, hey, points for contacting me! But if your reasoning is, you overslept and missed your 9am class, so you need to make it up with a noon class... that's not very impressive to your employer.

did you post this on the correct thread :D

kckgirl

« Reply #2596 on: April 18, 2014, 06:55:47 PM »
When you're out sick from work, you should contact someone at work and let them know. Obviously if you're in the emergency room or something, this won't be the first thing on your mind; but if you're just feeling under the weather, you should really contact us to say you won't be in Thursday. Or Friday. Or Monday. Instead of showing up for your first day of work on Wednesday, and then vanishing from the face of the earth until next Tuesday, and claiming you didn't know who to contact.

Also, if you change your schedule for the day, and decide to come in for the afternoon shift instead of the morning as written on the schedule, you should let someone know.

Also, if you're supposed to come in at 10am, but you email to say you'd rather come in at 1pm, hey, points for contacting me! But if your reasoning is, you overslept and missed your 9am class, so you need to make it up with a noon class... that's not very impressive to your employer.

I believe it's in the correct thread. Calling in to work when you aren't coming for some reason is something you shouldn't have to tell adults. They should really already know this.
Maryland

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2597 on: April 18, 2014, 07:03:15 PM »

I believe it's in the correct thread. Calling in to work when you aren't coming for some reason is something you shouldn't have to tell adults. They should really already know this.

It would have also fit nicely in the Professional Darwinism thread.  ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #2598 on: April 18, 2014, 10:41:50 PM »
I spent 20 minutes trying to explain the concept of "B.C." to someone who couldn't understand why, on a timeline, the B.C. years were listed backwards.  When we finished, he was still not getting it and I was beginning to wonder why it was that way myself.

Does this person understand the concept of numbers and negative numbers in math? That could help him understand the B.C. years, if you start counting backwards from zero.

-5  -4  -3  -2  -1  0  1  2  3  4  5

But then you get the joy of explaining that there is no year 0 and we go from 1 BCE to 1 present era.

tinkytinky

« Reply #2599 on: April 19, 2014, 12:12:57 AM »
this is a personal one but....

friend I've know for a while, but haven't seen for a long time: Hey, How are you? and how is Steve (DH's brother)

me: I'm great! I'm not sure how Steve is, I don't really talk with him much. How are you?

friend: CRUD MONKEYS!!!!!! when did you split up? I didn't hear that!

me: Jarry and me? no we are still together!

friend: No, you and Steve! When did you split?

me: I married Jarry, not Steve..... Steve is married to Sammie

friend: No, you married Steve. I know, I was there!!!!

me: Well, I was there, too....and I'm pretty sure I said my vows to Jarry...... :o

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Jocelyn

« Reply #2600 on: April 19, 2014, 04:27:38 PM »
Tinkytinky,
That sort of thing really baffles me. Why will people argue that they know more about your life than you do? I have a friend who once had someone argue with her that her surname was European, not Asian, despite the fact he was talking to her very Asian face. Then he told her it must be her married name, and argued about it when she said, no, it was the family name of her birth family. He kept insisting that it was very peculiar that she was Asian, and had a surname from a European country, then. (FWIW, her surname is very typical of surnames of the Asian country from which her father immigrated!)

Cherry91

« Reply #2601 on: April 19, 2014, 05:43:53 PM »
This was admittedly when I was only about 16 and so was the friend, but I once had to explain the concept of a mortgage to a friend who had never heard of such a thing.

Her parents were so wealthy that she didn't realise that not every household could buy a house up front with the money in their bank account...

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2602 on: April 19, 2014, 06:26:50 PM »
I could totally see a 16yo not realizing this even if her own parents weren't wealthy, or if they did have a mortgage.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #2603 on: April 19, 2014, 07:34:56 PM »
Tinkytinky,
That sort of thing really baffles me. Why will people argue that they know more about your life than you do? I have a friend who once had someone argue with her that her surname was European, not Asian, despite the fact he was talking to her very Asian face. Then he told her it must be her married name, and argued about it when she said, no, it was the family name of her birth family. He kept insisting that it was very peculiar that she was Asian, and had a surname from a European country, then. (FWIW, her surname is very typical of surnames of the Asian country from which her father immigrated!)
I had a boss argue with me over who my Dad was. There were 3 Herbert families in the town, and we lived within a block of each other. Boss thought I was the daughter of a different family. I have to give him this he only argued with me for less than a min.. It was a kind of YIKES I made a huge mistake situation. They had added Dad to the nonprofit's board not realizing the connection. Dad argued with me over who I worked for because he didn't realize that the Children's Art Museum was part of the Fine Arts Museum.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

PeterM

« Reply #2604 on: April 20, 2014, 02:13:24 PM »
friend: No, you married Steve. I know, I was there!!!!

The arrogance required for this kind of thinking always amazes me, even in people who give in to reality after just a few moments of argument. I've done it myself, and afterwards it always leaves me thinking, "I am far, far stupider than I ever feared."

It reminds me of an anecdote I heard from the journal of what might have been the most arrogant man in the world. He and his companion were canoeing north along a river or lake or some such. One morning after getting up before dawn they disagreed about which direction to go. That is, they disagreed about which direction was north. He insisted it was this way, she insisted it was that way, and he was louder so she just gave in and they went his way.

His journal entry for that day read, "The sun rose in the west today."

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2605 on: April 21, 2014, 04:55:19 PM »

Exactly this. We've got a new employee, and so far he has demonstrated a rather sad lack of common sense. :( Additionally, I did tell him to contact us if he wasn't coming in, but he got all confuzzled about who to contact, since I was out and the boss was out. There's only... nine other people in the office he could have emailed. Or he could have called and left a voicemail. ::)
~Lynn2000

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2606 on: April 21, 2014, 06:08:40 PM »
That reminds me of an old joke I heard in a lecture about Roman jokes. A person goes up to a friend and said "I'd heard that you'd died!" The friend said "Well, you can see that I haven't." "But the person who told me was more reliable than you are!"

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #2607 on: April 22, 2014, 12:46:10 AM »
Tinkytinky,
It wasn't a confusion between the indian surname "Khan" and the german surname "Kahn" was it?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 07:04:30 AM by WolfWay »
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Hillia

« Reply #2608 on: April 22, 2014, 03:06:47 PM »
DH's Uncle Knowitall argued with his wife about the year the Berlin wall went up.  His German wife, who was a teenager in Berlin at the time and was separated from many family members as a result.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

z_squared82

« Reply #2609 on: April 22, 2014, 03:14:49 PM »
My friend and I were talking about saving for house down payments. I said I’m nowhere close to being ready to buy because I need mortgage + insurance + tax to be about $600/month. Friend asks, “Well, what do you pay in rent? Like, $200 a month?” “No!” I said, “$615! How could you think it was only $200? That might get you a room in a house with a shared bathroom, not a 2 bedroom apartment!” “Well, I didn’t know!”

You shouldn’t have to tell an adult who has lived in the same city her whole life, who has gone apartment hunting and who currently rents an apartment that rent in a not-sketchy neighborhood in a middle-sized city is not $200 a month.