Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 307927 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
We use fiberglass shaft umbrellas. No metal.

Alias

When you're out sick from work, you should contact someone at work and let them know. Obviously if you're in the emergency room or something, this won't be the first thing on your mind; but if you're just feeling under the weather, you should really contact us to say you won't be in Thursday. Or Friday. Or Monday. Instead of showing up for your first day of work on Wednesday, and then vanishing from the face of the earth until next Tuesday, and claiming you didn't know who to contact.

Also, if you change your schedule for the day, and decide to come in for the afternoon shift instead of the morning as written on the schedule, you should let someone know.

Also, if you're supposed to come in at 10am, but you email to say you'd rather come in at 1pm, hey, points for contacting me! But if your reasoning is, you overslept and missed your 9am class, so you need to make it up with a noon class... that's not very impressive to your employer.

If you're going on holiday, you should let someone know. Seriously, we had someone get in touch 3 days after they left the country to say 'by the way, we got a last minute deal on a trip to <where ever> and I'll be back in two weeks'.  Yes, she does still have a job, it's not the sort of place you get fired from easily.

Hillia

DS  is currently in hot debate with a coworker over whether or not 1cc = 1ml.  They have to dilute a particular product; coworker is first off using the wrong dilution proportion (3 to 1, instead of 2 to 1), and when DS sent out a memo saying "1 cc of product to 2 cc of dilutant' she got all outraged - in addition to the proportions, it should be MLs, not CCs.

She's been doing this for some time and is supposedly highly trained, so not knowing something that I was able to dredge up from 10th grade chemistry 35+ years ago is pretty bad.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
I had to explain to my boss today that she would not be able to remote access into her computer until Sunday. The building power is being shut off tomorrow and our computers automatically boot at midnight.

She kept arguing with me that it would boot as soon as the power came back on. Sigh.

Onyx_TKD

DS  is currently in hot debate with a coworker over whether or not 1cc = 1ml.  They have to dilute a particular product; coworker is first off using the wrong dilution proportion (3 to 1, instead of 2 to 1), and when DS sent out a memo saying "1 cc of product to 2 cc of dilutant' she got all outraged - in addition to the proportions, it should be MLs, not CCs.

She's been doing this for some time and is supposedly highly trained, so not knowing something that I was able to dredge up from 10th grade chemistry 35+ years ago is pretty bad.

*blink* *blink* ??? But...it's a ratio. It doesn't matter whether 1cc = 1mL as long as the same unit is used for both product and dilutant. Any "1 [unit of volume] of product to 2 [same unit of volume] of dilutant" will dilute it by the same proportion regardless of the unit. He could have quoted in it cubic lightyears and it would still be the same proportion. If this woman doesn't grasp that fact, I think it's more frightening than her forgetting which units correspond to one another.  :-\

CuriousParty

*blink* *blink* ??? But...it's a ratio. It doesn't matter whether 1cc = 1mL as long as the same unit is used for both product and dilutant. Any "1 [unit of volume] of product to 2 [same unit of volume] of dilutant" will dilute it by the same proportion regardless of the unit. He could have quoted in it cubic lightyears and it would still be the same proportion. If this woman doesn't grasp that fact, I think it's more frightening than her forgetting which units correspond to one another.  :-\

Well, I think the issue there is that if 1 cc =/= 1 mL, the ratio would stay the same but the dosage could be off. So if 1 cc = 1.5 mL, for example, using a total of 3 cc results in 4.5 mL.  Not good, depending on what you are getting an extra 1.5 of.

However, a quick google search (because what do I know about cc's or mL, and I could be working, so let's google something random) says that 1 cc does = 1 mL. So there are a couple of things off here...

z_squared82

My friend was confused why I was allergic to our other friend's dogs. "But they're short-haired," she said. "That's makes them hypoallergenic!"

Um, no, the length of the hair has nothing to do with it. The severity of my allergic reaction depends on how much the dog sheds, and then dander.

Which she should know. B/c she's allergic to dogs, too.

Dazi

• like the flower
My friend was confused why I was allergic to our other friend's dogs. "But they're short-haired," she said. "That's makes them hypoallergenic!"

Um, no, the length of the hair has nothing to do with it. The severity of my allergic reaction depends on how much the dog sheds, and then dander.

I have specific breeds that are worse for me and some breeds don't bother me at all.  Example: I'm terribly allergic to beagles and to a slightly lesser extent, poodles,  like my eyes will swell shut and I will have trouble breathing before I make it to the front door of someone who has one. Fluffy bacon-fed knave pomeranians don't bother me at all and I seldom have any issues with Labs,  German Shepherds, or chihuahuas. Most others cause a mild reaction.

My MIL is allergic to cats, but is much more allergic to male cats.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Fluffy bacon-fed knave pomeranians don't bother me at all and I seldom have any issues with Labs,  German Shepherds, or chihuahuas.

Bacon fed pomeranian? That must be one happy pup :)

wheeitsme

I have specific breeds that are worse for me and some breeds don't bother me at all.  Example: I'm terribly allergic to beagles and to a slightly lesser extent, poodles,  like my eyes will swell shut and I will have trouble breathing before I make it to the front door of someone who has one. Fluffy bacon-fed knave pomeranians don't bother me at all and I seldom have any issues with Labs,  German Shepherds, or chihuahuas. Most others cause a mild reaction.

My MIL is allergic to cats, but is much more allergic to male cats.

Interesting. Labs and German Shepherds are double coated.

Wintergreen

This was a teen, not an adult, but still:

My brother had some friends over.  My mom made veal parmesan.  One of the girls didn't know what that was:

Mom: Veal?  You know?

Girl: *blank stare*

Mom: Veal is baby cow.  You know, like lamb is baby sheep?

Girl: People eat sheep?

I was almost going to say in this thread that I wonder how anyone with two brain cells cannot understand where food comes, even without being told it. I never remember being told, it was so clear, we would eat chicken and pig and so on, and you know they are animals too. But then I started to wonder the English language, and how there is beef and pork and so on. I'm not a native speaker, but I've understood that these terms are usually used about meat, not really as "oh, there is the pork walking around, saying oink". So maybe it's not as clear if your mother says it's going to be pork today compared to if she would say it's going to be pig today.

On the other hand :D I do remember a friend who claimed to hate fish, yet ate canned tuna fish with good appetite because she did not realize it was fish... So maybe my theory is totally wrong :D

On different topic, I had to tell an adult female that getting her tubes tied would not stop her having periods.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!

My brother had some friends over.  My mom made veal parmesan.  One of the girls didn't know what that was:

I was almost going to say in this thread that I wonder how anyone with two brain cells cannot understand where food comes, even without being told it. I never remember being told, it was so clear, we would eat chicken and pig and so on, and you know they are animals too. But then I started to wonder the English language, and how there is beef and pork and so on. I'm not a native speaker, but I've understood that these terms are usually used about meat, not really as "oh, there is the pork walking around, saying oink". So maybe it's not as clear if your mother says it's going to be pork today compared to if she would say it's going to be pig today.

As I understand it, this difference in words for the animal and the product that comes from it comes from a linguistic divide in English history when the ruling class and the working/farmer class spoke two different languages.

So the working class Anglo-Saxon farmers would call the animals by the name of the animal (because that what they saw mostly, the whole animal) like Cow, Sheep, Pig.

The ruling class Norman elite who never really saw the full animal, only the final processed product used words like Beef, Mutton and Pork.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2008/why-do-we-eat-beef-and-pork-rather-than-cow-and-pig

This could be a historical fairytale, but it's still a nice explanation of the split.   :)

I have been known to jokingly say "We're having oink sausages today", or answering a question about what kind of burger I'm eating with "Cow", but that's just me being silly and nonsensical. Using the name of the animal just sounds wrong. "Pig sausages" just sounds kind of gross, no matter how accurate it may be.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 03:57:16 AM by WolfWay »
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!

We got some chickens the other day (live chickens) that will be for meat.  They are young but not babies (fully-feathered, etc., not little downy chicks).  My SIL saw them, and she was horrified at the thought that we'd be eating them.  "So you're just going to let them live outside in the sunshine, and walk around the yard, and play outside, and then you're going to kill them and eat them?  That's inhumane!"  She's not a vegetarian and has no problem eating chicken from the grocery store, but apparently having chickens live free range until they're ready to eat, rather than live in boxes at a chicken farm, is inhumane.  Or maybe it's the whole "seeing your food alive before you eat it" that is disturbing.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
^ We get the same thing when people ask what we plan to do after retirement and we tell them we are going to have a small scale subsistence farm with heritage animal breeds. One cow for milk to make cheese and a steer for meat. Chickens for eggs and meat, and so on. Nothing like knowing what kind of life your food had.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!

...  "So you're just going to let them live outside in the sunshine, and walk around the yard, and play outside, and then you're going to kill them and eat them?  That's inhumane!"  ...

This is not my quote and unfortunately I don't remember the name of the guy who said it, but it goes something along the lines of this:

The animals lived a wonderful, carefree life with the best quality food, normal social interaction within the species, plenty of water, fresh air and sunshine and no predators to avoid. 

And then they had one very bad day.