Author Topic: Interesting author profiles  (Read 356 times)

Redsoil

Interesting author profiles
« on: May 25, 2013, 02:57:50 AM »
Loved this one:

"Frank Tuttle first began writing under the woefully mistaken impression doing so would release him from the burden of ever doing honest work. “It turns out writing is hard,” said Frank as he pulled out great handfuls of hair. “That was never mentioned in Strunk and White’s Elements of Style.” Frank’s first published works appeared in print magazines such as Weird Tales and Marion Zimmer Bradley’s Fantasy Magazine in the late 1990s. Since then, Frank has published seven Markhat novels and a variety of shorter works. Frank rarely resorts to hair-pulling these days, preferring to weep inconsolably while affixing his toupee."

In fact, this profile had me downloading one of his books.  I figure someone with that sense of humour might be worth reading!

Any others that posters here have found quirky, or snippets about authors that have endeared them to you?
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

cwm

Re: Interesting author profiles
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 10:03:19 AM »
At the end of each of the Incarnations of Immortality series, Piers Anthony wrote a bit about writing that book and what was going on in his life. One of them was about switching from DVORAK to QWERTY keyboards and how hard that was. I happened across the first book and kept reading them because of the story, but also the information he wrote about himself, it was very interesting!

doodlemor

Re: Interesting author profiles
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 01:01:27 PM »
Alan Seeger has been gone a long time, having been killed in the Great War  [WWI].  I recently thought of his famous poem "I Have a Rendezvous with Death" and looked him up on the web.

I was interested to learn that he is an uncle of the famous folk singer Pete Singer, who is in his 90's.

Here is the poem:

http://www.bartleby.com/104/121.html

Here is the wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Seeger