Author Topic: Update on mother-in-law who tried to starve me and my daughters.  (Read 17895 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: Update on mother-in-law who tried to starve me and my daughters.
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2013, 05:26:08 PM »
The thought behind the "water with a meal" rule:  http://www.naturalnews.com/033731_digestion_drinking_water.html

And the Mayo Clinic's view:  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/digestion/AN01776

We are ugly bags of mostly water.  I don't think half a pint more is going to harm anything.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2013, 05:34:53 PM »
The thought behind the "water with a meal" rule:  http://www.naturalnews.com/033731_digestion_drinking_water.html

We are ugly bags of mostly water.  I don't think half a pint more is going to harm anything.

8)

gmatoy

« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2013, 06:00:41 PM »
If nobody got drinks, at least it's all equal.  But if everyone got decent amounts of food except me and my daughters, that will be the second-to-last time MIL will see me and my daughters (her grandchildren).  Second-to-last because I believe in second chances.  Possibly a third if she reaches out somehow.  But not a fourth.

I'm not sure I would care that it is equal, but there is just no way I could or would eat a meal without being able to drink something. A glass of water would be fine. I really don't care what the Mayo Clinic has to say about it. If someone forbade me from getting a drink during my meal, I would leave.

See this is what I think: It doesn't matter what my MIL thinks about drinks on the table. I can not eat with out water to wash it down. And while I was adamant about it then, now I'm really over the top about it. (I had a plate put in to hold some disks and they went in through the front of my neck. I kept complaining for about 8 months that I could feel the plate and my doctor kept saying I couldn't. Got a second opinion, and new doctor says "Yep, you are the one in a million that is that sensitive and can feel it." Now it only bothers me if my throat is dry, so walk around with water all the time.)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2013, 06:09:16 PM »
My one resolution about dining with other people is that if any of them are this bizarre and controlling, that is the last time I ever sit at their table, nor will they be invited to mine.

I once ate at the home of someone who couldn't (or thought she couldn't) tolerate any spices.  Her mother prepared chicken and rice.  Plain chicken and white rice.  They only had a salt shaker; no pepper, no herbs, no spices.  I never ate at their home again.

SuperMartianRobotGirl

« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2013, 06:26:16 PM »
I don't know her reasoning, but my best guess is that she hates waste. It sounds like everyone remembers the old thread so I hopefully don't have to rehash. I haven't asked her directly. Maybe if we visit again. (We probably will. I personally wouldn't do it. I have been pushing for us staying in a hotel in the future, and it sounds like that's a strong possibility.)

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2013, 07:05:57 PM »
My one resolution about dining with other people is that if any of them are this bizarre and controlling, that is the last time I ever sit at their table, nor will they be invited to mine.

I once ate at the home of someone who couldn't (or thought she couldn't) tolerate any spices.  Her mother prepared chicken and rice.  Plain chicken and white rice.  They only had a salt shaker; no pepper, no herbs, no spices.  I never ate at their home again.

Plain chicken and rice should be a war crime. Even just a little garlic could liven that up!

Otterpop

« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2013, 07:30:28 PM »

8)

Trekkies!!!!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2013, 07:59:56 PM »
Whatever her reasoning, SRMG and her family should not allow MIL to treat them badly. I hope it gets straightened out, but people hate to change.

Hugs, SRMG and your family on trying to maintain a relationship despite these issues.

KB

« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2013, 09:00:57 PM »

Plain chicken and rice should be a war crime. Even just a little garlic could liven that up!

Interesting. I get terrible gastritis from almost any herbs or spices, and, being fructose, dairy and gluten intolerant, have very plain food. I guess I know who not to bother inviting for a meal.

ettiquit

« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2013, 09:05:06 PM »

Interesting. I get terrible gastritis from almost any herbs or spices, and, being fructose, dairy and gluten intolerant, have very plain food. I guess I know who not to bother inviting for a meal.

Do you not allow your dinner guests to use spices?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2013, 09:05:26 PM »

...   Interesting. I get terrible gastritis from almost any herbs or spices, and, being fructose, dairy and gluten intolerant, have very plain food. I guess I know who not to bother inviting for a meal.

Knowing that you prefer (or MUST have) very bland food though, would you not at least offer some Mrs. Dash or something to your guests so they could liven up their personal portion if they wished?

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2013, 09:08:09 PM »

My point was chicken is the blandest of the meats by itself (unless fried... then it needs nothing else).  If you're going to unspiced, there are more flavorful meats to do so with.  And plain rice is a filler at best.  I never said that all plain food is bad, but don't let that stop you from jumping on me.

KB

« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2013, 10:30:13 PM »

...   Interesting. I get terrible gastritis from almost any herbs or spices, and, being fructose, dairy and gluten intolerant, have very plain food. I guess I know who not to bother inviting for a meal.

Knowing that you prefer (or MUST have) very bland food though, would you not at least offer some Mrs. Dash or something to your guests so they could liven up their personal portion if they wished?

I would try to, but it would depend on the menu. The food I generally offer at dinner parties would be seen by the majority of people as exceedingly bland despite my best efforts because, as a result of not using them, I have no real idea of how to cook with them and I can't 'taste test' to check if things are okay or not. Therefore I tend to stick to things that are safe for me to check. I also have to say that, if I went to a dinner party, where the hostess was eating different food from the rest of the party, I would wonder what she had done to the food I was having!  ;D