Author Topic: Meet the baby  (Read 12485 times)

LilacGirl1983

Meet the baby
« on: May 25, 2013, 02:09:11 PM »
Sorry for being focused on the baby so much. Not trying to be a hog or mommy zilla...We are planning a meet the baby gathering. Not a shower or sprinkle..just come meet the baby and socialize. I was wondering a couple of things

1) Wording on invites. Is this ok? Its on a facebook invite..I also sent out email invites to those who are not on facebook

What: Its just going to be a laid back event. Come chit chat, meet the baby and snacks provided!

2) if you read that would you assume you would need to bring gifts? We aren't expecting any or doing a baby registry or anything. My family doesn't do 2nd baby showers (According to mom) so I want to make sure that its clear that it isn't one.

3) any ways to say we don't expect anything if asked? We did invite both his side mom's, dad's, step mom,s and my side so we are hoping for a number to have enough snacks

4) I was thinking chips/cup cakes and maybe fresh fruit and assortment of candy to be what to serve...is that to tacky? Any other ideas? We never had a meet the baby get together so any help would be appreciated!

NyaChan

Re: Meet the baby
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 02:14:45 PM »
I would bill it as just another gathering in the title and details, and then as an aside in the description you can say, "This will be a good opportunity to introduce BabyName to our family."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 02:27:50 PM »
If your family doesn't do 2nd-baby showers, I don't think you need to make it clear that this isn't one. Saying, "come meet the baby" and leaving out "shower" is enough.

I'm not sure why you need to say anything about snacks--wouldn't people simply expect you to have them anyway? That makes it awkward somehow--as though it implies that they might think you wouldn't, or it's a big "draw" (reason to come).

I'd just say,

Come meet the baby! Saturday, the 12th of Never, from 2 to 4pm.

LadyR

• Musings of A Pinterest Mom
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 03:33:31 PM »
We're having a Meet the Baby party as well and I've organized it open house style so you can come and go as you like. I'll provide light party food (veggies, fruit, dip, cake, and maybe an appetizer or two) and I've chosen not to say anything about gifts either way.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 04:36:19 PM »
If you're extra sensitive about people getting offended (because it is true that most people feel that any party with a guest of honor *IS* a gift giving occasion, no matter what you call it), then don't name it anything.

Just invite people over--just say, "please come to a party at our house." They'll figure out that the baby will be home at the same time.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 05:08:28 PM »
If you're extra sensitive about people getting offended (because it is true that most people feel that any party with a guest of honor *IS* a gift giving occasion, no matter what you call it), then don't name it anything.

Just invite people over--just say, "please come to a party at our house." They'll figure out that the baby will be home at the same time.

Personally, I'd rather the "title" of the party be on the invite, otherwise, I'd feel like it was a bait and switch or something.

OP, just name it "meet the baby" party and leave it at that.  There's no need to mention gifts or food/snacks.  Those that want to show up, will attend regardless of gifts or snacks. :)

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 05:58:49 PM »
Since it is not a shower I would not feel obligated to bring a gift.  If I was close enough to be invited but not close enough to have already have visited I would probably use this opportunity to bring a small gift.  It is okay.  Just be your gracious self when accepting the gifts.  Don't display them.  If asked about a registry just be honest that you don't have one. 

MOM21SON

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 05:59:24 PM »
I am not a fan of Meet the Baby party's.  No matter what you want it to be it, it is a gift grab.

If you want everyone to meet your baby, have a summer BBQ or something thing that.

BTW, are these the new thing?

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 07:09:43 PM »
No matter what you want it to be it, it is a gift grab.

I disagree.  Just because you'd like to celebrate your child and have them welcomed into your circle of family and friends does NOT mean it's a gift grab.

The term 'gift grab' seems to be thrown around quite a bit lately.  It's losing its meaning. I certainly wouldn't describe what the OP is doing as a gift grab.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 07:23:54 PM by Roe »

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 07:21:39 PM »
Quote from: Roe link=topic=128200.msg2949855#msg2949855 date=1369523383type

I disagree.  Just because you'd like to celebrate your child and have them welcomed into your circle of family and friends do NOT mean it's a gift grab.

The term 'gift grab' seems to be thrown around quite a bit lately.  It's losing its meaning. I certainly wouldn't describe what the OP is doing as a gift grab.
I concur. This is not a gift grab and I see no reason to try to hide the type of party. That seems silly because it is a meet the baby party. 

I'm sure some people will bring gifts but they would do that anyhow. We just had our second daughter and had no shower or meet the baby and we still got a lot of gifts from people. Generally when they were invited over or they invited us there would be a present for the little one and the big sister. People like to celebrate babies.

MOM21SON

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 07:22:02 PM »

I disagree.  Just because you'd like to celebrate your child and have them welcomed into your circle of family and friends do NOT mean it's a gift grab.

Then I guess we disagree.  If I were invited to a meet the baby party, it would never occur to me to not take a gift.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 07:25:34 PM »

Then I guess we disagree.  If I were invited to a meet the baby party, it would never occur to me to not take a gift.

A gift-grab is one the recipient intends to hold, which lilacgirl does not.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 07:26:46 PM »
Quote from: Roe link=topic=128200.msg2949855#msg2949855 date=1369523383type

I concur. This is not a gift grab and I see no reason to try to hide the type of party. That seems silly because it is a meet the baby party. 

I'm sure some people will bring gifts but they would do that anyhow. We just had our second daughter and had no shower or meet the baby and we still got a lot of gifts from people. Generally when they were invited over or they invited us there would be a present for the little one and the big sister. People like to celebrate babies.

Exactly!  Whenever a friend has a baby, I give a lil' gift.  (even if it's just diapers and wipes)  Whenever my friends have life-changing moments, esp the birth of a baby, it's something to celebrate.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 07:43:37 PM »

[/quote
The difference is intent. By your argument, any social occasion can be seen as a gift grab.

MOM21SON

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 07:48:10 PM »

[/quote
The difference is intent. By your argument, any social occasion can be seen as a gift grab.

Not hardly. 

And I never said it was her intent.  I am voicing my opinion on the idea of a Meet the baby party.

Who not have a BBQ and call it a BBQ?  People know the baby has arrived?  It is safe to assme they will meet the baby at a BBQ hosted by the parents.