Author Topic: Meet the baby  (Read 11450 times)

sammycat

• Super Hero!
Re: Meet the baby
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2013, 06:37:08 PM »
I really really hope that EHell is a weird microcosm where people see "gift-grab" in everything and that it doesn't reflect the general world because it seems that, for some people, you can't have any sort of party with any sort of guest of honor without it being seen that way.  That makes me sad.   I personally feel that every child should be celebrated.  Just because someone was born second (or third or fourth) doesn't mean that their entry into the world isn't worth celebrating.  Why should the second child have to have their celebration disguised as a BBQ where they are an afterthought?  I realize that not everyone shares this opinion, but I felt i had to put it out there.  (And I'm a first child. heh.)
Now, if a "meet the baby" party isn't known in your circle you don't have to use that actual term as that might just cause confusion.  Saying "come on over for a get together to meet our  wonderful new addition" would still get the point across.  I think those people who would already be inclined to bring a present when they meet the baby for the first time will and those who wouldn't won't.
POD. The fact that people often assume the worst intentions here continues to baffle me.

POD!!!!!  to the millionth degree.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2013, 06:39:55 PM »
And I'll say again, a "Meet the Baby" party does not scream gift.  It means, come and meet our baby. I don't see how the OP can be any clearer.

Those that want to gift, will...party or no party.

Definitely.

When I go to see a new baby for the first time I always take a present, whether that be at the hospital, at home, the christening, wherever. I've never had anyone expect that I (or other visitors) would bring a gift, but in my experience everyone does anyway.

kudeebee

« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2013, 10:19:19 PM »
Sorry for being focused on the baby so much. Not trying to be a hog or mommy zilla...We are planning a meet the baby gathering. Not a shower or sprinkle..just come meet the baby and socialize. I was wondering a couple of things

1) Wording on invites. Is this ok? Its on a facebook invite..I also sent out email invites to those who are not on facebook
What: Its just going to be a laid back event. Come chit chat, meet the baby and snacks provided!
2) if you read that would you assume you would need to bring gifts? We aren't expecting any or doing a baby registry or anything. My family doesn't do 2nd baby showers (According to mom) so I want to make sure that its clear that it isn't one.
3) any ways to say we don't expect anything if asked? We did invite both his side mom's, dad's, step mom,s and my side so we are hoping for a number to have enough snacks
4) I was thinking chips/cup cakes and maybe fresh fruit and assortment of candy to be what to serve...is that to tacky? Any other ideas? We never had a meet the baby get together so any help would be appreciated!

Somehow we have really gotten sidetracked on the "gift grab" track.  Going back to OP's original question--bolded above--some people might assume it is a gift-giving event, as I stated I would as I would assume it was another name for shower as these types of parties are not common where I am from.  I would not think gift grab, but would think I needed a gift and would gladly get one.

If meet the babies are what you do in your family, no problem.  Some people might want to bring gifts.  If they do, accept them graciously and put them away in another room to be opened later.

LadyR

• Musings of A Pinterest Mom
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2013, 12:19:42 AM »
And I'll say again, a "Meet the Baby" party does not scream gift.  It means, come and meet our baby. I don't see how the OP can be any clearer.

Those that want to gift, will...party or no party.

Definitely.

When I go to see a new baby for the first time I always take a present, whether that be at the hospital, at home, the christening, wherever. I've never had anyone expect that I (or other visitors) would bring a gift, but in my experience everyone does anyway.

Not the OP, but we had our Meet the Baby party today. I think if I am to have another child, if I throw a gathering I'll stress no gifts instead of just letting peoplle know we don't require gifts. Everyone (except a friend who visited right after the baby was born and brought a gift then) brought a gift and anout half the guests brought gifts for my older child as well and I know at least ine person who only brought a gift for the new baby felt bad that she didn't get anything for the older child. We had about 15 guests, all very close friends. I feel a little bad, wondering if they (especially a few on tighter budgets) felt obligated ti bring gifts, though I know from experience some of them would have brought a gift as soon as they came to see the baby. If I ever have another child, I'd likely just have a low key BBQ and invite people over, without specifically calling it a Meet the Baby Party so people don't feel obligated to bring presents.

Phoebe

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2013, 02:17:45 PM »
Just catching up on this thread.  I have to say that in my area, a gathering specifically billed as "Meet the Baby" is most always held because for one reason or another a baby shower was not held before the baby's arrival.  This is most definitely assumed to be a gift-giving occasion, just as a shower is.  It's a "post-natal" shower. 

The label "uptight" is not a nice one to toss around haphazardly.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2013, 06:41:28 PM »
Just catching up on this thread.  I have to say that in my area, a gathering specifically billed as "Meet the Baby" is most always held because for one reason or another a baby shower was not held before the baby's arrival.  This is most definitely assumed to be a gift-giving occasion, just as a shower is.  It's a "post-natal" shower. 

Just because one "assumes" it's a gift-giving occasion doesn't make it so.

LadyR, people that want to gift will do so.  I always gift a relative's or friend's new baby.  If I knew a Meet the Baby gathering was happening soon, I'd wait to give my gift until then but I usually gift at the hospital or the first visit at home.  My family and friends don't expect if of me, I do it willingly. It makes me happy to welcome a new addition. Plus, I never ever think such thoughts as 'gimme pig' about the parents.

Specky

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2013, 07:07:08 PM »
I think it must be a regional thing.  In my area,  "meet the baby" is just another name for shower, or maybe "shower for a second baby".  It is definitely a gift-giving event, even if it isn't billed as one.  It is the term used (in our area) for a shower put on by the mother for her baby.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 07:09:27 PM by Specky »

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2013, 07:18:17 PM »
In my circle, a "meet the baby" party is what parents have when they aren't baptizing the baby. There's always a party after a baptism and that is when people outside the immediate family get to "meet" the baby for the first time. But not everyone in my generation is as religious as our parents, so the meet the baby party is filling that gap of an occasion to honor the new baby.

Also in my circle, the guest list for baby showers, meet the baby parties and christening parties are always just close family and friends. Exactly those people who would most likely be giving a gift to the parents or new baby anyway, party or no party.

So while presents may show up at a meet the baby party, it's not because said party is a gift-grab, but because it is a convenient time to give the gift. I'd say about half the guests at meet the baby parties bring gifts, usually small ones. The other half probably already have given their gifts, as the parties are usually a month or two after the baby is born.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

alis

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2013, 07:40:28 PM »
I had one of these.

It was my 2nd boy in 2 years.

I wrote "no gifts, please" in the announcement.

Not sure if that was correct or not, but I do think that a "meet the baby" can be confused with a baby shower here in North America at least. The last thing I needed was a 500th blue onesie!

Phoebe

« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2013, 09:19:20 PM »

Just because one "assumes" it's a gift-giving occasion doesn't make it so.

LadyR, people that want to gift will do so.  I always gift a relative's or friend's new baby.  If I knew a Meet the Baby gathering was happening soon, I'd wait to give my gift until then but I usually gift at the hospital or the first visit at home.  My family and friends don't expect if of me, I do it willingly. It makes me happy to welcome a new addition. Plus, I never ever think such thoughts as 'gimme pig' about the parents.

"Assumed" wasn't a strong enough word to use, my error.  If one, in this region, attends an event specifically called a "Meet the Baby" function, it's just not done to go without a gift for baby any more than it is to attend a traditional baby shower.   Apparently that isn't the case in your region.  Differences make the world go round.  What is done here isn't anymore right or wrong than what is done elsewhere.

LilacGirl1983

« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2013, 08:57:01 PM »
OP here...Thank you for all the replies. The meet the baby is this weekend. We had some people rsvp yes. I am hoping for a good turn out. It will be nice to see extended family. I told my mom that it is not expected for anyone to bring gifts so if anyone asks she can pass that along. I didn't want anyone to think they had to. As for BBQ that is way to expensive. We are doing home made cupcakes, fruit punch, chips, chex mix...simple munchy stuff.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2013, 12:01:38 PM »
In our experience, a 'Meet the Baby' party is held when the parents aren't going to have a Baptism or similar rite usually performed when the child is an infant. 

Like any party, we'll bring some sort of a gift.  For a dinner party, we'll produce a bottle of wine or a pound of wild rice.    A 'Meet the Baby' party seems to call for something to give the new member of the family. A package of birds-eye towels and a nice onesie in a size larger than the new-born seems right.   

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2013, 10:47:02 AM »
I've never heard of a meet the baby party.  If I received an invitation, I would assume it was exactly what it says it is: a party being held so people can meet the baby.  If I thought further about it, I would think it was because it would be less stressful on the new parents because many people could meet the baby in a short period instead of having to entertain a person here and there each for an hour or so at a time.  I probably wouldn't take a gift because I'm meeting the baby and this isn't a shower.

Just another perspective from someone who hasn't heard of them before E-Hell.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.