Author Topic: Trying not to give mom a piece of my mind.  (Read 6943 times)

amylouky

Re: Trying not to give mom a piece of my mind.
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2013, 12:06:53 PM »
Just to clarify about the black bean brownies, I'm not trying to be amusing when I bake them, and I'm not walking into a potluck and surprising people. A number of black bean brownie recipes are available out there. The beans in the recipe I use offset some of the fat found in a typical brownie recipe and add some fiber. Some black bean brownie recipes are vegan and gluten free. The beans serve a purpose in the recipe. It's not the same as adding an unusual ingredient just for the sake of adding it. While the use of black beans as a substitute for oil or butter may be unusual, it follows the logic of swapping applesauce for butter or eggs.

Some people may be attracted to the idea of black bean brownies because of their dietary restrictions.

I've had brownies made with black beans that were very good.
While I agree that it is far from pretending brains are eggs, which is just nasty, I still think you should tell the people eating them, because black beans are not a usual or expected ingredient in brownies. I think the applesauce swap is pretty well known, so it may occur to someone eating cake/brownies to ask if there is applesauce in them if they are sensitive to it, but I don't know that anyone would think to ask if there are black beans.

I don't understand the assumption that I'm not telling people about the beans. In my PP on this topic, I said no one would know unless I told them. That doesn't mean I'm not telling them. My niece has a peanut allergy. I know the drill.

Ah, okay. I did interpret your post as saying that you didn't feel it was necessary to tell them, because they were still just considered brownies even though there were black beans. I don't think there's anything wrong with substituting unusual or unexpected ingredients, as long as people are aware of what they're eating. Sorry for misunderstanding!

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2013, 12:26:53 PM »
Nya, I have to ask, did you intend the pun in your title? Because it cracked me up!! Too bad your Mom didn't extend you the same courtesy, eh?  :D

I think you have every right to be upset and to let her know! When I was about 10 I told my Mom I didn't want to try venison. I realized that a lot of people liked it and it was probably good, but emotionally I just didn't want to eat it. She said that was fine and I could have something else, which I did. A few weeks later she fixed what I was told was pork chops. I ate two, she asked if I liked them, I affirmed that they were very good, then she admitted that it was venison and "See, don't you like it?! I knew you would! Aren't you glad you tried it?" I was so confused, upset and embarrassed that I just nodded my head and agreed that it was good, but I never trusted her not to do that again.

I don't know if it's related but to this day I have a really hard time eating meat unless I can either absolutely identify it or I saw the raw portion go into the dish so that I know what it was. If it's in any way a mystery I'll do my best to convince myself "it's just chicken, relax!" but my inner 10 year old will be trying not to gag.  :-\

Calistoga

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2013, 12:31:20 PM »
I'll admit, I used to try and sneak things in on family members who said they didn't like XYZ. Sometimes it works...more often than not, it didn't, and my family would get mad at me for trying to make them eat something they knew they didn't like.

Now I just ask them nicely to try things... and amazingly enough, when you ask people nicely to try something, they usually say yes, especially if they trust you.

Side note, I like that you're avoiding giving your mom a piece of your mind...when she obviously didn't feel too bad giving you a piece of that animals mind to munch on. Icky.

I think that you have every right to be mad, and to let her know about it. She shouldn't feel like it's OK to trick you, because it's not. If she asks you in the future if you would like to try something she's made, politely tell her no, because you don't know that you can trust her.

*new*mommyagain36

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2013, 12:34:40 PM »
You have every right to be upset and every right to not eat your mother's cooking for the forseeable future.
And this is why I no longer eat meatballs prepared by my Aunt (who I love dearly by the way).
They are never just beef.  There's always numerous random meats ground together and formed into a ball.  I don't eat beef very often but I will on occasion - I just need to be in the mood for beef.  The last time (and it's been close to 6 years now) Dear Aunty made the meatballs and after I took a bite I thought they just tasted "funny" - although the sauce they had simmered in was tasty.  Turns out they were beef, veal and turkey.  I mean,  :o.  Beef, ok.  Turkey, ok.  But I do not ever eat veal.  SO, not ok with me.  And she *knows* I don't want to eat veal, we had many conversations about it.  I felt, as you probably do, tricked and upset (and a little sick).
Now, if there are meatballs at family gatherings that DA prepared I steer clear.  She acts a little hurt or will insist they are all beef this time!  But I am not going there again.
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

NyaChan

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2013, 12:35:39 PM »
Nya, I have to ask, did you intend the pun in your title? Because it cracked me up!! Too bad your Mom didn't extend you the same courtesy, eh?  :D

I did  :)  I was trying to find some humor in the situation - glad you enjoyed it!

daen

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2013, 02:51:15 PM »
There is also the disease-transmission factor to consider. Consuming brain (and possibly other central nervous system tissue) is one of the vectors for diseases like kuru and mad cow disease. Not to say it's not transmitted in other ways, but that's the most effective.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2013, 06:26:37 PM »
When I was a kid, my mother once got me to try something by refusing to tell me what it was until I had eaten it. It was squid and it was like eating a rubber band drenched in olive oil. (So not the good stuff.)

The trick only worked once - I loooove calamari today (after I learned it's not supposed to be rubbery), but I never would eat anything else she wanted me to try without a detailed accounting of the ingredients first. If she refused, so did I. And I got my stubbornness from her.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture