Author Topic: A good plug for a teenage boy :)  (Read 2159 times)

guihong

• Super Hero!
A good plug for a teenage boy :)
« on: August 19, 2013, 02:34:53 PM »
Hi, all:

DD14 (15 in two weeks) has a new boyfriend, and I feel in the litany of bad etiquette here, I'd tell of a very nice boy :).

They're very new, so we'll see how it goes, but so far:

*He always pulls out her seat, and opens the car door for her (unless his hands are full, then she opens it for him)
*I'm "Mrs. Gui" or "Ma'am"
*Yesterday, he spent much of the day over here, as they won't see one another until Saturday.  At lunchtime, I looked around the living room for him and he was no where to be seen (DD was there).  He was in the kitchen, making us a big pot of Ramen noodles.  When I went flapping into the kitchen to "help", he ordered me gently to sit at the table with DD.  Then he served lunch!  After lunch, he rinsed and stacked the dishes in the sink for me to wash later.  He left the kitchen tidy.  (I'd told him we were a very "help yourself" household, and showed him where things were in the pantry and fridge).

We'll see how it goes long-term (DD just started school today, and they attend different schools), but I liked him :).  I've told her 1) Don't go with anyone who can't make you laugh, and 2) Look for good character, and yes, good etiquette.  Score for both!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:36:30 PM by guihong »

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: A good plug for a teenage boy :)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 02:38:30 PM »
Oh, man. He sounds too good to be true. I'd start wondering if we were dealing with an Eddie Haskel.

But really, doesn't it make you proud your DD is exercising good judgement in boys? Shows she is a smart cookie.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 02:46:53 PM »
Oh, man. He sounds too good to be true. I'd start wondering if we were dealing with an Eddie Haskel.

But really, doesn't it make you proud your DD is exercising good judgement in boys? Shows she is a smart cookie.

So far, I don't get the idea he's fake or "oily" like Eddie  ;D.  I've met his family, and they all seem "salt of the earth" people like him.  So unless I'm wayyy off, he seems the real deal.

If I can't freeze-dry DD until she's 30, then yes, I'm very glad that her standards in boys has steadily climbed and this is the best of the bunch so far.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 03:17:59 PM »
Good deal! His parents raised him right.

misha412

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 08:00:37 PM »
Well it looks like two sets of parents are doing a great job.

His parents are raising a polite young man who will likely be a great person to employ, befriend, or marry in the future.

You are doing a great job with teaching your daughter what to look for in the people she is dating. That is a good sign she will always choose someone with manners and character.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 08:18:30 PM »
He just sounds like a very genuine, upstanding young gent.  I am very impressed with your DD's judgement in boys.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

chibichan

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 08:38:40 PM »
I agree . The added bonus is that , whatever happens , she now has a standard with which to measure her future choices by .

Good work Gui ! You raised one smart cookie !
The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 10:31:43 PM »
It's the ramen story that got me. Ooooo! A thoughtful boy! *swoon*

They are worth their weight in GOLD. ;D

I remember the day I learned that my grandma/mom had raised my Bro right: he was walking across the street with me and he made a point to put himself between me and the oncoming traffic. Now I'm looking for another guy who is willing to take that big of a bullet for me.  ;)
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 07:38:48 PM »
He sounds like the kind of boy I wish I'd dated in high school. Lovely.

I knew my (now) nephew-in-law was a keeper when, the morning after the first night he and niece spent at my house, HE made the bed in the morning!
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

MrTango

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 08:38:25 PM »
He sounds like the kind of boy I wish I'd dated in high school. Lovely.

I knew my (now) nephew-in-law was a keeper when, the morning after the first night he and niece spent at my house, HE made the bed in the morning!

He sounds like the kind of boy I wish I had been in high school.   :-[