Author Topic: Beet Greens  (Read 556 times)

One Fish, Two Fish

Beet Greens
« on: May 28, 2013, 03:28:11 PM »
I'm buying a bunch of beets today, and I really don't want to throw the greens away.  Are the greens any good?  Does anyone have a good recipe for them?
I'll get there.  Eventually.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Beet Greens
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 03:50:01 PM »
I like to use them in a salad with other greens, just raw.  They add a bit of an earthy flavour.  I use the smaller leaves for this.

A friend of mine sautes them with a little butter, like she would Swiss chard or kale or spinach and you can get away with using some of the larger leaves.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 03:59:13 PM »
The greens are quite good! They are a bit more sweet than kale or chard,  or at least are a lot less bitter.

If you're not using the beets or greens right away, I recommend cutting the leaves from the root, so you can store them separately. The greens will keep for a few days in a plastic bag in your crisper.

I like to cook them with bacon, or sauté them with butter until they turn bright green, then drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 12:30:42 AM »

I love them steamed and drizzled with a bit of vinegar and a pinch of salt.

exitzero

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 09:21:57 AM »
I saute mine in a little olive oil.
LOVE  them!

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 10:38:04 AM »
You can cook them like you would spinach..I would steam rather than boil.   You can also do fresh in salad.  The red stems are also edible.

whiskeytangofoxtrot

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 10:38:24 AM »
I love greens simmered with just enough water to keep them moist, until they're tender, with a bit of ham or bacon for seasoning, and a little green Tabasco pepper vinegar sprinkled on top at serving. Late last winter, we had enough left from the garden to can up, and oh my, were they good!

doodlemor

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 11:36:51 PM »
I saute mine in a little olive oil.
LOVE  them!

I love greens done like this, and add quite a bit of chopped garlic near the end.  Then I put on balsamic vinegar.