Author Topic: Facebook when off work ill  (Read 5953 times)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
Facebook when off work ill
« on: May 28, 2013, 04:22:28 PM »
I'm of the opinion that using FB when at home ill is wrong in most cases.  Of course there are exceptions.  But generally if I'm not well enough to work (ie today), I am not well enough to mess on my phone or ipad. All I wanted to do was sleep this bug off. Feeling slightly less nauseated. Can handle sitting under a blanket although want bed very soon.  No. I am very picky about using a social networking site that workmates are friends of mine on.

Friends of mine disagree. ..am I being a little bit harsh about this? It just seems wrong to me.  :-\
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: Facebook when off work ill
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 04:24:37 PM »
I don't think there's anything wrong with using Facebook when you're sick at home.  Not everyone needs to be in bed when they're sick.  I like curling up on the couch with a blanket and pillow.  I have my phone and iPad right next to me, and I don't hesitate to use either one if I feel like it.  Being sick doesn't mean you have to lie there and do nothing. 

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 04:26:38 PM »
Maybe it's just me then lol. I hate going off work sick. 

nuit93

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 04:29:58 PM »
I don't see what the issue is, unless you're posting from the beach :)

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 04:31:58 PM »
There is nothing wrong with it. As long as you are home, you can be on FB. You might be home watching TV all day when sick, there's no difference. Or posting on an interent forum  ;)

However, this is why I never have current colleagues as FB friends.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 04:34:05 PM by Perfect Circle »
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 04:43:17 PM »
Thanks.  Idk.  I get your point Perfect Circle...

It's just me then lol!

audrey1962

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 04:45:15 PM »
It's your FB and you can use it anyway you want. You could decide you only want to use FB on the first full moon of the month and it wouldn't be rude.  :D

I hope you're feeling better!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 04:47:02 PM »
One of the reasons people stay home is so they don't infect others. They might also need to burn a sick day for a doctor's appointment.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 05:22:03 PM »
I've never encountered this opinion. To me, Facebook or other internet activities is no more taxing than watching TV or reading a book. Do you feel they should stay away from all internet/computer activities or just social networking sites?

NyaChan

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 05:25:40 PM »
I can see how using FB while sick could get you in trouble if a coworker or a boss saw it and misunderstood.  They might think, well if you were well enough to do that then you were well enough to come to work.  However, using FB itself isn't wrong.  If you are off of work for a legitimate reason, I don't see how anyone has a right to restrict your actions.  If you want to spend all day playing with Legos while you wait for your fever to pass go for it. 

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 05:38:35 PM »
Why would using Facebook be wrong because you should be too ill to be messing with it but posting on EHell is okay?

perpetua

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 05:42:41 PM »
Why would using Facebook be wrong because you should be too ill to be messing with it but posting on EHell is okay?

Presumably because colleagues could see you posting on FB?

My mother used to use this reasoning on me when I wanted to stay home sick from school: "If you're sick enough to stay home, you're sick enough to stay in bed and not watch TV or read". It was her way of ascertaining whether I was genuinely sick or just trying to pull a fast one to get out of going to school. But as adults, this surely doesn't apply.

Either way, I don't see how it's rude to anyone?

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 06:27:52 PM »
One of the reasons people stay home is so they don't infect others. They might also need to burn a sick day for a doctor's appointment.

Agreed.  I've also stayed home because injuries from a recent accident made moving painful, I had an allergic reaction that resulted in a full-body itchy rash and clothing hurt, and I recently passed out and didn't feel up to standing/walking/driving.  None of these preclude sitting on the couch and watching TV, reading, or using my iPad.  Even when I've been home with the flu or a bad cold, there is time between naps when I need non-taxing entertainment.

I'd say it's in poor form to post photos of you at the beach when you've called in sick, but other than that, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to entertain yourself while you recuperate.  In fact, I'd expect to see more posts from somebody who is out sick than somebody who is at work.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 06:34:35 PM »
I don't see what harm it does to you if someone else uses FB during their sick day. Unless they're posting "lolz, I faked a cold! And now Hollanda gets stuck with my work while I'm sunning in Daytona , high fives!!", it isn't your problem.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 06:44:35 PM »
I don't see what harm it does to you if someone else uses FB during their sick day. Unless they're posting "lolz, I faked a cold! And now Hollanda gets stuck with my work while I'm sunning in Daytona , high fives!!", it isn't your problem.

Yea, faking sick then bragging about it on FB (or Twitter, or wherever else) is rather rude and, if done enough, Professional Darwinism. But "My head feels like it's stuffed full of memory foam and I can't think straight so I am just going to sit here and post nonsense and play Angry Birds Friends until I can fall back asleep" is not a problem. Even when sick, there comes a time when you just can't sleep any more (at least for a little while) but you just can't function worth a tinker. FB is a great way to pass time like that.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture