Author Topic: Baby Registry Comments  (Read 3457 times)

Rockstar420

Baby Registry Comments
« on: May 28, 2013, 07:16:05 PM »
Ok so I know everyone has an opinion on registries.. I guess I don't know how I really feel about them, but my friend is planning a baby shower for me (for my first child) and honestly *everyone* in my area/social circle expects registry information if there's going to be a shower... so I've started a small one online. We already bought the big ticket baby items, so I'm trying to keep things modest and really only register for necessities, nothing extravagant, and include a variety of price points that hopefully everyone who wants can find something in their budget.

So I've been to a number of showers recently, and looking at other people's registries has left a bad taste in my mouth... from registering to expensive, over the top items, to what maybe actually even bothered me more... on the store's website, there's a field for additional comments that the mom-to-be can enter, for people viewing the registry... some of the store's "suggested" comments is "A buyer protection plan would give us piece us mind" and the one I've seen used more frequently in my circle - "gift cards appreciated". Both of these just make me go ICK. I'm not sure if it actually is rude, but it feels very gift grabby to me. Which I guess a registry is generally but all the same, I feel obligated to create one for those that I know are going to ask me. Also I'm kind of using it as a shopping list for myself... so many little things to remember!

Anyways... my actual question... I want to use the comments field for Etiquette Good, not Etiquette Evil  ;D I want to put something in there to let people I don't really care what/if they buy baby & I, even as they are on the registry site... I was thinking like "We are extremely grateful for any and all gifts. Thank you for looking!" What does everyone think? Can I make this better? I just want people to know that they don't have to buy off the registry, or anything at all, and we appreciate them even caring enough to think of getting us something. Showers make me feel very awkward because I know how fast they can go downhill  :-\ at the same time I'm very excited for baby and would love to have a little celebration with my friends & family  :D

Oh Joy

Re: Baby Registry Comments
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 07:20:51 PM »
Right or wrong, I used the comments section to say something along the lines of: Requests for batteries, protection plans, and gift cards are part of the ABC Store registry and can't be turned off.

Too tired to remember my polite phrasing.

And best wishes!

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 08:28:41 PM »
No one is ever forced to create a registry.

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 08:43:14 PM »
How about not doing a commercial registry but just giving your host/hostess a list of items you would like. That's what we did and our hostess forwarded it to people upon request and kept track of who would buy what.

For some things we wanted a specific model and/or color, but for other things, we left the details to our friends (something like "3 hooded towels") where friends could either get simple cheap ones or a bit fancier, special ones, whatever their preference.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 09:41:53 PM »
Just because people want you to create a registry doesn't mean you have to..and I really like a create your own list.  You already bought the big ticket items (why do these expensive items keep showing up on registries????) so you can just tell your guests when they ask that the basics are what you will need (diapers, towels, spit clothes, lotions).  And stores are really over the top with the registry stuff, convincing parents that their child will need years of therapy if they do not register for the expensive dry clean only bedding set in the one of a kind IQ boosting pattern. 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 09:56:56 PM »
Right or wrong, I used the comments section to say something along the lines of: Requests for batteries, protection plans, and gift cards are part of the ABC Store registry and can't be turned off.

Too tired to remember my polite phrasing.

And best wishes!

I like this approach.

Ask if those comments can be turned off and if they can't I think this is va great approach.

I also like it if the comments include info about nursery colors or themes. That way I have some guidance if I want to buy off the registry.

kudeebee

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 10:07:06 PM »
i would probably leave the comments section blank unless you want to put nursery colors or theme info as a pp suggested.

Aria

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 10:18:35 PM »
I think your suggested message is fine. I also agree with kudeebee that it would be fine to leave the comments section blank as well.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 10:29:23 PM »
I sort of dislike having anybody say to me, "Oh, you don't need to get me a present, and I'll be grateful for anything you do get me!"

Did they think I was such a boor as to assume the OPPOSITE of them?

It just ruins the whole "I'm buying you a present! Yippee!" vibe for me as a gift GIVER!

I would leave it blank, or I'd put in anything like "The insurance and gift-card suggestions are automatically added by the site and are not something I have specifically registered for."

Also, I'll tell you--there are a lot of people who are very grateful that registries exist. They don't want to end up squandering all the economic clout that they put into the gift by guessing wrong.

And the registry is a sort of anonymous way to provide suggestions. It actually makes me less squeamish than directly asking someone for gift ideas.

So just register for stuff you truly wish you could have for when the baby comes.

And if your registry seems small, maybe add something like, "These are the only things we could think of to suggest for those of you who needed ideas. Feel free to add anything you think a baby or a new mom and dad ought to have."

citadelle

• fully functional & aesthetically pleasing
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 10:36:33 PM »
I sort of dislike having anybody say to me, "Oh, you don't need to get me a present, and I'll be grateful for anything you do get me!"

It just ruins the whole "I'm buying you a present! Yippee!" vibe for me as a gift GIVER!

I would leave it blank, or I'd put in anything like "The insurance and gift-card suggestions are automatically added by the site and are not something I have specifically registered for."

Also, I'll tell you--there are a lot of people who are very grateful that registries exist. They don't want to end up squandering all the economic clout that they put into the gift by guessing wrong.

And the registry is a sort of anonymous way to provide suggestions. It actually makes me less squeamish than directly asking someone for gift ideas.

So just register for stuff you truly wish you could have for when the baby comes.

And if your registry seems small, maybe add something like, "These are the only things we could think of to suggest for those of you who needed ideas. Feel free to add anything you think a baby or a new mom and dad ought to have."

I like the bolded a lot and it would make me smile to see it on a registry when I went shopping for a gift.

m2kbug

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 11:14:49 PM »

I like the bolded a lot and it would make me smile to see it on a registry when I went shopping for a gift.

I like this suggestion too.  I also like the idea of colors for the nursery.  I don't know if putting the sex of the baby would be worth your time, though the registry may already have this option you check-box. 

I happen to be one that likes the registries - not for kid birthdays though.  Anyone heard of those?  I also don't put much thought in those big ticket items that get listed.  I don't see them so much as a gimme list, but a wish list.  You never know, maybe a group of friends will pool their money together for one of the biggies, your coworkers, book club, etc., or not. 

z_squared82

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 09:08:06 AM »
My friends recently had a baby. The comment at the top of their baby registry just said, Its a girl! So, if you *need* to put a comment, it could be one that has nothing to do with gifts.

RobinJ

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 09:12:40 AM »

I like this suggestion too.  I also like the idea of colors for the nursery.  I don't know if putting the sex of the baby would be worth your time, though the registry may already have this option you check-box. 

This is what I was going to suggest - your colors for the nursery or if you are going with a theme.  I did a registry, mainly because one store offered us 25% off a big item purchase if we registered at their store.

mime

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 10:11:17 AM »
I am so grateful for baby registries. I don't consider myself especially good at reading others' tastes and I like that I can get someone exactly what they want with a registry, and avoid returns because of duplicates. When I see those $500-items on someone's list, I just think "that's for the grandparents to buy!" and move on.

When I registered with my first baby I was disappointed to see that the store automatically gift cards to the registry list as an item we 'want'. I didn't know that would happen, and didn't really like the idea. Now when I see it on other registries I know that it wasn't necessarily a deliberate choice of the parents-to-be.

For comments, I think the "it's a boy/girl!" comment is a great suggestion.

Congratulations!

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 10:21:52 AM »
Just as no one is forced to make a registry, no one is forced to look at one either.  I think they make things easier for everyone.  I haven't seen the "comments" thing, but I wouldn't stress over it. "It's a Girl!" or just leaving it blank seems fine to me.  And as for the bigger ticket items, lots of times groups of people will go in together to get them.  So the $250 stroller is given by 10 coworkers who each contributed $25.  To me that is preferable to each person spending $25 on an outfit that will be worn once, for example.