Author Topic: Baby Registry Comments  (Read 3499 times)

StoutGirl

Re: Baby Registry Comments
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 02:24:28 PM »
My suggestion would be "Thank you for your love and support.  We can't wait to celebrate and welcome Baby."

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 02:38:17 PM »
On my registry comment,  I just wrote "It's a girl!" and left it at that.  If you want to write more, you can say "Thank you for your love and support" and also like the suggestion above about the items not being set in stone and that your guests are free to get whatever they want and find appropriate.

As for registries, I try to remember when looking at them that just because an item is on the registry, it doesn't mean that the anyone is expected to purchase the item.  Most stores offer discounts on registry items that are purchased by the people that created the registry.  In that case, it makes sense to register for the big ticket items to take advantage of the discount (we registered for the stroller we were planning to buy, but had already gotten the furniture so none of that was on ours).  Also, when I registered for my baby shower, the stores encouraged me to add items that I would need later, like baby proofing items, or toddler bed extentions. I didn't feel right about it, so didn't do it, but I can see where other people may just go with the store's suggestions not thinking about it (and again, for the future discounts). 

Just do what feels right for you.  If you don't need/want the item and don't feel comfortable having it on your registry, then don't do it.  It sounds like you're being very thoughtful and that's a good thing!

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 02:51:57 PM »
Personally, I like registries/wishlists. I like making them for my own personal use, to keep track of things I'm interested in purchasing for myself later; and I like using them for choosing gifts for people. I really have no idea what most people would like or find useful, especially for a baby shower, and having a nicely laid-out list online or printed out at Target really helps me feel like I'm getting the GOH something they really want, without the hassle of me having to squeeze the information out of them. :)

I like TootsNYC's suggestion of encouraging people to get whatever else they think might be useful to newborns/new parents. Nursery colors, "looking forward to introducing Baby to all of you," or just blank would also be fine. To be honest I'm not sure I really read extra comments as I'm looking over the list of items and trying to decide what to buy, especially online--websites are so busy these days, with random words and pictures everywhere.  :-\

Not sure where you're registered, but on Amazon wishlists now you can just type something general into the box and have it appear as an item on your list. So you could add, literally, "yellow or green swaddling blankets" to your wishlist, not referencing any specific brand, and when people click on that it's like they typed that phrase into the Amazon search box. They get a page of results showing different yellow or green swaddling blankets available on the website and they can choose their own brand, price, etc.. So if you dislike asking for "Brand X Swaddle-Me Wrap in Tadpole for $YY" and you really don't care that much about the specific brand, you could make a list of all general items, and let people choose on their own.
~Lynn2000

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 02:53:03 PM »
why do these expensive items keep showing up on registries

Because there are groups of people that actually do like to go in with each other and get one bigger present than several small ones.  If you have a group where everyone is able to just pitch in $10 or something nominal, but the end result is a larger item that the couple really can use, it can be a good thing.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 02:54:02 PM »
To be honest I'm not sure I really read extra comments as I'm looking over the list of items and trying to decide what to buy

I don't think I've ever noticed if there's an extra comments section, either.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2013, 03:31:32 PM »

Because there are groups of people that actually do like to go in with each other and get one bigger present than several small ones.  If you have a group where everyone is able to just pitch in $10 or something nominal, but the end result is a larger item that the couple really can use, it can be a good thing.

At our office we normally pool money to buy a large item and much prefer knowing the exact model of stroller, carseat, or highchari the parents prefer than guessing.

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2013, 04:01:23 PM »

This is true in my circle, too.  We also used our registry as a checklist for ourselves, and to take advantage of the discounts.  15-20% is nothing to sneeze at, especially when talking about the larger items.

I also like purchasing from registries for other people.  I like knowing that I'm getting them exactly what they want. 

cwm

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2013, 04:25:32 PM »
Personally, I'm terrible at gift-giving. I'm much more of a gift-card person simply because it's much less stress on me than anything else. That's why I absolutely love registries. I may not be able to buy the things that are listed on there exactly, but it gives me a very good idea of what to buy for someone. I understand that some people think registries seem grabby, but without them I'd be lost.

I think any extra information to include would be nursery colors, if the baby is a boy or girl, and if there are any special considerations. My sister, for example, has terrible skin allergies, so she requested that any lotions or bath products be hypoallergenic so she wouldn't break out when bathing her baby.

The most important thing, in my opinion, is be gracious at the shower. My sister registered for a lot of big-ticket items because of the discount and was very surprised when people actually got them for her, but if they hadn't, she would have been thankful for whatever they did get her.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2013, 06:39:06 PM »
Giving a gift card when a person has a registry isn't a bad idea as it means they can get things ey really need off that registry.

Also, gift cards a very easy to mail if you can't attend.

Loruaus

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 08:18:58 PM »
I am from Australia where our attitude towards registries and the inclusion of the registry information on invitations is a lot more relaxed.

I helped my best friend with her baby shower recently and we decided against a registry at a baby shop because she already had all the big things and the small things are significantly more expensive from a baby shop than other places.

Instead we used a website that allowed you to make up your own registry. It was more like a wish list that was available online, we could upload a photo for each product and write a short sentence. People who took items off the registry either anonymously or put their name to it.

It worked well for us, it allowed us to make a list of things that all the invitees could easily access and buy from what ever shop they wanted.

LadyR

• Musings of A Pinterest Mom
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 11:28:46 PM »
How about not doing a commercial registry but just giving your host/hostess a list of items you would like. That's what we did and our hostess forwarded it to people upon request and kept track of who would buy what.

I actually find this way more annoying than registries because I have to track down the hostess and feel like i'm making more work for her. With a registry, i buy it, it gets crossed off and its that simple.

katycoo

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 01:07:06 AM »
I don't read into gift cards or big ticket items.  IME noone creating a registry actually expects a friend to spend $500 on a crib.  But that friend may know that the MTB really likes that crib, and purchase a $40 gift card to put towards it.

Also, I know a lot of department stores here discount unpurchased items on the registry if the bride/MTB buys it after the fact.  And that is how a $700 cutlery setting ended up on my registry.  I got 15% off and a bunch of contributions from people who knew how much I wanted it. I'd have died if someone actually spent that much.

Geekychick1984

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2013, 06:46:41 AM »
I don't read into gift cards or big ticket items.  IME noone creating a registry actually expects a friend to spend $500 on a crib.  But that friend may know that the MTB really likes that crib, and purchase a $40 gift card to put towards it.

Also, I know a lot of department stores here discount unpurchased items on the registry if the bride/MTB buys it after the fact.  And that is how a $700 cutlery setting ended up on my registry.  I got 15% off and a bunch of contributions from people who knew how much I wanted it. I'd have died if someone actually spent that much.

Yup - I just registered this last weekend and I think we get 20% off unpurchased registry items.  We included all of our big ticket items, but also have a huge price range of other things.  We plan on buying the big things ourselves, but the discount will be helpful.

Also, I just want to add that we didn't add any comments.  Just "It's a girl" and that's it.  People who want to use the registry will, and people who don't won't.