Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1749425 times)

Mergatroyd

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #18030 on: October 28, 2014, 07:10:13 PM »
How many meters is that? 3.5 meters will make an adult nightgown, you could have a judge or witch costume with that as a basis. If that's a no go, I would probably make a dog bed, with old pillows as stuffing. (I have a black dog.)

mmswm

« Reply #18031 on: October 28, 2014, 08:19:53 PM »
It was for a very full, floor length cloak.  It's no longer wide enough for the primary pieces of the cloak.  I'll have to go through patterns and find something that doesn't have pieces that take up the entire width of the fabric.  Grump.  I guess the fates have determined that I'm supposed to do more sewing than I'd originally planned.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

audhs

« Reply #18032 on: October 28, 2014, 08:21:51 PM »
My MIL shared her annoyance recently.  I had told her of a $1 truck I bought the little guy at the Salvation Army. It was a red truck, no bells and whistles, doesn't even have doors on it and all it does other than roll is the bed lifts and the gate opens.  But by hand, nothing electronic or battery operated.  He loves it and insists on sleeping with it.

So her annoyance is she was trying to find a simple toy for him for his upcoming birthday and was telling us how you can't even really find a big toy truck in stores that's not operated by batteries with noises, remote controls, etc.
Tell her about http://www.melissaanddoug.com/ lovely classic wood toys.

I'll see what brick and mortar stores carry them, as she avoids using the internet as much as possible. Might recommend it to FIL though if they're looking for Christmas presents (she already bought the bday present) as FIL is comfortable with using the internet and has no aversion to it.

I don't know about where you live but here you can get them at toys r us, most independent toy stores and chapters (which my be Canadian , but is a big bookstore/gift store)

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #18033 on: October 28, 2014, 08:26:53 PM »
You could make a great dirndl skirt out of it.

EllenS

« Reply #18034 on: October 28, 2014, 08:27:33 PM »
It was for a very full, floor length cloak.  It's no longer wide enough for the primary pieces of the cloak.  I'll have to go through patterns and find something that doesn't have pieces that take up the entire width of the fabric.  Grump.  I guess the fates have determined that I'm supposed to do more sewing than I'd originally planned.

Well, I wound up with some not-quite-wide enough fabric for an Elsa dress and cape for DD1. What I did to McGuyver the pattern was lay the piece out, then pinch it at the top and at the point where the hem crossed the fabric edge. This created a line to fold on. Then I used that fold line as the new cutting line for the edge of the piece. We lost a little fullness overall, but certainly it was still wearable and was plenty full for the "look".

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #18035 on: Yesterday at 11:02:45 PM »
Right now, it's my MIL.

Two weekends ago, DD and I went to a pumpkin patch.  We each got a beach ball sized pumpkin (mine was a little bit bigger).  This past weekend, MIL picked up DD to spend the day with her.  I asked her (MIL) if she wanted to take DD's pumpkin with them to carve it.  I ensured to say this out of DD's earshot just in case MIL said no and let MIL know that DD didn't know I was suggesting it.  MIL agreed.

When she dropped DD off with the pumpkin, it was gutted with a giant hole in the side.  MIL had cut a huge opening in the side, gutted it, then put plastic cupcake toppers inside that said "Happy Halloween".  She then wrote "Our Street Cemetery" above the opening.  I was astounded that such a perfect pumpkin had been wasted as such, but I said nothing and my face belied nothing.  DD, on the other hand...she's 7, I can't blame her.

"Momma, can we carve your pumpkin for real, like with a scary face instead of just a hole?"*

DD and I had a talk, later, about how stuff like that can make other people feel bad.  MIL?  She went PA on DD and I had to bean dip like mad to get her to knock it off.  You don't pull that manipulative excrement on a child.  This isn't the first time she's done it, either.

*We have a few stairs leading up to an enclosed porch, on which was sitting my pumpkin.  DD only said this, I'm guessing, because she saw my unmolested pumpkin sitting there next to hers where MIL had just sat it. 
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18036 on: Today at 09:31:47 AM »
Right now, it's my MIL.

Two weekends ago, DD and I went to a pumpkin patch.  We each got a beach ball sized pumpkin (mine was a little bit bigger).  This past weekend, MIL picked up DD to spend the day with her.  I asked her (MIL) if she wanted to take DD's pumpkin with them to carve it.  I ensured to say this out of DD's earshot just in case MIL said no and let MIL know that DD didn't know I was suggesting it.  MIL agreed.

When she dropped DD off with the pumpkin, it was gutted with a giant hole in the side.  MIL had cut a huge opening in the side, gutted it, then put plastic cupcake toppers inside that said "Happy Halloween".  She then wrote "Our Street Cemetery" above the opening.  I was astounded that such a perfect pumpkin had been wasted as such, but I said nothing and my face belied nothing.  DD, on the other hand...she's 7, I can't blame her.

"Momma, can we carve your pumpkin for real, like with a scary face instead of just a hole?"*

DD and I had a talk, later, about how stuff like that can make other people feel bad.  MIL?  She went PA on DD and I had to bean dip like mad to get her to knock it off.  You don't pull that manipulative excrement on a child.  This isn't the first time she's done it, either.

*We have a few stairs leading up to an enclosed porch, on which was sitting my pumpkin.  DD only said this, I'm guessing, because she saw my unmolested pumpkin sitting there next to hers where MIL had just sat it.

I don't get it. What does that even mean? Is she anti-Halloween? And if so, she seriously used a small child's pumpkin as a way to express that to the parents?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #18037 on: Today at 09:48:01 AM »
Right now, it's my MIL.

I don't get it. What does that even mean? Is she anti-Halloween? And if so, she seriously used a small child's pumpkin as a way to express that to the parents?

Oh no, not at all anti-Halloween. Passive aggressive? You betcha. She was trying to send some sort of message but I don't quite know what and probably never will.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18038 on: Today at 09:52:28 AM »
That's an odd choice for a pumpkin.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

lilfox

« Reply #18039 on: Today at 01:17:11 PM »
So, does anybody have any use for almost 7 yards of not-really-45inch-width black fake crushed velvet (not really velour either)?

Giant spider!  Cut fabric into several smaller sections, make a big round ball with one piece by gathering the material in a knot at the bottom (like a sack), cut the other pieces into 8 rectangles, stitch along the length, stuff, sew onto the body and you have a nice cushy spider.

Or make Halloween 'flags' or placemats by again cutting into squares, then use white fabric paint to draw on a web design or ghost or skeleton or skull n bones.  Bonus points for glow in the dark paint!

Little thing driving me up the wall - not having enough change to buy a soda from the machine, which is supposed to take credit cards but that feature isn't working.  And it also wouldn't be a problem if a) I had brought one from home like usual, or b) I had remembered to sign up for the pizza + soda lunch my office is having today.  I'm being taunted by soda!