Author Topic: The Good Boss stories (spin off of the unwarranted demands for loyalty)  (Read 1989 times)

MissRose

When my paternal grandmother died a few years ago, my boss was good about things.  I requested 2 out of 3 allotted bereavement days without issue and did not have to call into the sick line each day per his instructions.  A few co-workers stepped up and did overtime to cover my shifts on the weekend as I had 2 week days off as our department was 24x7 at the time.  Although over hearing a co-worker say "I am gonna be screwed this weekend" because the funeral stuff was taking place over the weekend, and I had to bite my tongue & not remind her that she left me in the lurch for no good reasons - she committed PD some time later for attendance and attitude issues and doesn't work here now.

Firecat

My first boss at my security job back in my college days was an awesome boss. He was approachable, understanding, and backed us 100%. To the point where, if someone gave us trouble about requiring ID before unlocking a room for them and threatened to call our boss, we knew we could hand that person a card with his phone number on it and say something to the effect of "Sure. He'll be delighted to know I'm following the rules." The angriest I ever saw him was when someone at one of the building tried to throw us under the bus; he.was.livid.

Another former boss once loaned me her car. I was working late with her one night, and my DH was supposed to come and pick me up. He called to say that the transmission on our car had just failed spectacularly. Fortunately, my parents had a car we could use to get through until we could get something else, but they were a two hour drive away, we now had no car, and my Mom didn't drive in the city where we live - she got too nervous. My boss drove me home that night, and then the next day offered to loan me her car for the weekend so we could go get the car from my parents.

My other boss at that same job had a habit of calling me around noon the day before holiday weekends (if he wasn't in the office) just to say "You're leaving early, right?" I've mostly been fortunate in my bosses; none of them have been spectacularly awful. Edited to add: He also once backed me up when a client tried to blame me for something.

alkira6

In balance to the absolute evil bosses I have had some spectacular bosses.

*Current principal - backs me 100% with the interventions that I have to do with the children, has gone to bat for me when my job position was on the line by pushing my effectiveness rate, has tolerated, no facilitated, me leaving a bit early when I need to go to the doctor (especially the appointments made months in advance that cannot be changed).  She takes me seriously when I come to her with concerns and actually backs me up in public even if she disagrees in private.  She is also absolutely fine with me surfing the web while my kids are being tested in another room, hence the replies here lately.  She says it's comp time for the amount of paperwork that I do. Paperwork that's my job, but hey, it works for me.   ;D

* Principal I had for 4 years - same as above as well as being a generally upbeat person who is absolutely in the job for the kids.  She is the one who convinced me to stay in education when system politics were working my last good nerve.

* One manager at Lane Bryant.  Flexible scheduling, upbeat even when she didn't really have reason to be, and generous.  She is one of those people who brighten your day by her sheer attitude.  I hated that I had to leave that job.

* Almost all of my factory bosses.  Very supportive of female workers (all of them were male) and absolutely okay with me driving the trucks and lifts instead of taking "lady" jobs in the office.

* My supervisor when I worked the front desk at my dorm.  Angie would always make sure to check in on me as I was working night shift by myself and she always had a good attitude even during the infrequent times she had to take me to task.  Yeah, don't stay awake for 4 days and then expect to stay awake in an absolutely silent office while sitting under a box fan.   ::)

-There are many, many more.  I have had bosses that have absolutely saved me and prevented me from ditching my career.

goldilocks

WARNING - this is not really a happy story.

We had a case of domestic violence in the parking lot at work.   Husband drove up, shot his wife (and shot at her multiple times), then killed himself.   

Everyone was screaming and rushing into the building while the shooting was going on.   No one knew much, except that Susan had been shot and her crazy husband was out there shooting.  (at this time no one knew he'd killed himself).

Susan's supervisor started to walk out of the building.   Several people tried to stop him, it was dangerous, no one knew if the husband was still shooting or what.   He just looked at them and said "You don't understand.   I CANNOT leave her out there alone."

Thankfully, it was over by that time and he didn't get hurt as well.

JeanFromBNA

We had a case of domestic violence in the parking lot at work.   Husband drove up, shot his wife (and shot at her multiple times), then killed himself.   

Everyone was screaming and rushing into the building while the shooting was going on.   No one knew much, except that Susan had been shot and her crazy husband was out there shooting.  (at this time no one knew he'd killed himself).

Susan's supervisor started to walk out of the building.   Several people tried to stop him, it was dangerous, no one knew if the husband was still shooting or what.   He just looked at them and said "You don't understand.   I CANNOT leave her out there alone."

I actually choked up when I read this. 

goldilocks

Yes - it was one of the most awful days I ever remember at work.   Thankfully Susan survived but will never be able to return to work.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples

That is not just a good boss, that is a FANTASTIC and brave human being! 

Arila

Yes - it was one of the most awful days I ever remember at work.   Thankfully Susan survived but will never be able to return to work.

Wow, I didn't think that when I read the first part of the story, but I'll bet that having someone come out to her sooner rather than later meant so much to her.

Vall

That is not just a good boss, that is a FANTASTIC and brave human being!
I agree completely.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
My last physical therapy boss was excellent.  He was very mellow and laid back, but there was absolutely no question in anyone's mind that he was the boss.  He always came to bat for his people and wouldn't allow other departments to mistreat us which, in this military hospital, had happened regularly until he took over. He handled the unreasonable patients and the screaming doctors, and during his tenure it was a good place to work.  I left right before he did, and ended up in a situation, while not precisely bad, was a little iffy. 

Peppergirl

Just popping in to say that, while happy for all of you with great bosses, I'm also incredibly jealous!  >:D

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
About three bosses ago, I had one of the best bosses ever.  He came in to a new area, where he had very little experience and was just fantastic.  In one of our first meetings with him, he told us, "I've reached the highest position in the company that I want, and I won't leave you guys for a promotion or the next hot job."  Which may not sound like a big deal, but he was our ... 7th boss in four years.  Most of them had left after a promotion, so promising our team that we weren't just a stepping stone for his career ambitions was HUGE.  He backed us in what we said to people, somehow managed to retain his patience when dealing with the p/a whiny person on our team, and was generally upbeat.  When I got my new job, and had to tell him I would be leaving, he gave me a hug and told me he was sorry to see me go, but was happy for me.  I'd talked to him a little bit about some issues I was having with getting my resume considered for certain areas and I was worried it might have to do with my background.  About a year after I went to another position within the company, he sought me out one day and told me that other people in my old department were also having problems getting their resumes considered for those areas, so he'd made some inquiries and found out there was a bias in the recruiters for those areas (they didn't want anyone with customer service experience, for some reason).  I couldn't believe that he'd remembered me mentioning this issue, and had taken the time a year later to seek me out and reassure me that it wasn't anything to do with me, but was more on the HR side! 

After all the terrible bosses I had at that company (one would sleep on the job, and write you up if you had to wake her up, one announced that she didn't like any of us and would like to see us all fired, one would hide in her cube and refused to answer our questions, one was very clear that we were all very much below him and he was far superior and therefore could tell us what to do about everything including our home lives), this boss was the one who actually gave me hope that there were some good managers out there, and I just might be considered a valuable employee. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
My last physical therapy boss was excellent.  He was very mellow and laid back, but there was absolutely no question in anyone's mind that he was the boss.  He always came to bat for his people and wouldn't allow other departments to mistreat us which, in this military hospital, had happened regularly until he took over. He handled the unreasonable patients and the screaming doctors, and during his tenure it was a good place to work.  I left right before he did, and ended up in a situation, while not precisely bad, was a little iffy.

I have a family member who also had an awesome boss. She is a nurse, but not military, in one of the largest military hospitals and what she does involves a lot of patients who can be "difficult" her former boss was a dr. who headed this dept and would go to bat for her and the rest of the staff whenever patients screeched about not getting what they wanted

IrishGenes

I would do this in a heartbeat for my students... any of them.  When they tell me they hate me or that I must hate them, I tell them that a teacher who would give her life for her students doesn't hate said student.  They are usually pretty surprised by that comment.
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."  ~ The Talmud

daen

Not my boss, but a manager (Cathy) in another department:

Open hours were 7am-11pm, Monday to Saturday. Unless you had declared unavailability for a specific time or were in one of the few positions that had shorter hours, you could expect to be scheduled anywhere during that time. It had somehow come out that Marge, one woman in Cathy's department was a dedicated follower of a particular TV show.  Once she found out, Cathy never scheduled Marge for a Tuesday evening, so that she wouldn't have to miss an episode (or have it spoiled for her).