Author Topic: Halloween 2014  (Read 2296 times)

snowfire

Re: Halloween 2014
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2014, 06:12:31 PM »
I was pretty disappointed.  We only got 4.  My mom, who only lives a mile away, got around 30.  I don't know why our turnout was so dismal.  It was a nice evening, most of the houses in my neighborhood were lit and/or decorated. 

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »
We did not participate in ToT this year.  Given the fact that we have few kids anyhow and it was around 40 degrees with howling winds, we decided to just have our lights off and not hand out candy.

The lights off thing is important because everywhere our village advertises the ToT hours, they also advertise to only go to homes with lights on.

So I did have a couple of ToT'ers come up to our unlit door, knock a couple of times and then wander off. 

The ones that take the cake were the kids (I could tell they were older by their voices) that came to the door right at the end of the assigned hours.  They knocked a couple of times and then as they were leaving, I heard some very audible swear words directed at us for not answering the door.

And people wonder why I don't care to participate in ToT in my neighborhood....

I was surprised to get three or four people coming up after I'd finished for the night. I turned off my porch light and the light by the garage I usually leave on, plus turned my candy bowl upside down on the welcome mat. It was pitch black on my porch when I ducked out later to pick up the candy bowl, so I don't know why anyone would go knock on the door! Luckily no one stayed to curse at me -- my wildly barking dog acting like he was going to eat their faces off probably helped. :)  (He was just saying "come play with me!". He had so much fun with the kids earlier during TOTing. But he sounds incredibly ferocious whenever anyone comes to the door.)

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2014, 03:22:44 PM »
We experienced 3 of the 4 seasons on Halloween.  The day pretty much went like this: snow. sun. rain. hail. sun. snow. sleet. hail. sun.  hail. sleet. sun. rain. snow.  The only constant was the lovely north gale coming off the lake.

We managed to get a 20-minute break during which there was no precipitation and the kids did pretty good.  We were invited to a party at the house of some friends so we weren't out in the elements all night.

My ILs stayed home and said we didn't get a single ToT-er.

I didn't see any horrible costumes this year but my favorite was a whole production.

We were walking down the street and suddenly the music from "Halloween" started up.  One house was pretty dark but it had an eerie light trained on the porch.  Suddenly, Michael Meyers sloooowly opens the door, slooowly walks out onto the porch and just stood there until some brave soul came up to get some candy.  When everyone was done, MM slooowly backed up into the doorway and slooowly closed the door.  I'm guessing there was some sort of motion detection set up for the music that alerted the homeowner that someone was walking by.

The little kids didn't really get it but the adults were highly entertained.   ;D

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2014, 03:49:08 PM »
Very few trick-or-treaters, but not surprised as the weather was cold and rainy.  Our last two TorTers were neighbors, and there was about a half hour between them, and when it hit 9:30 we closed down.  And we weren't the only ones.

gingerzing

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2014, 10:17:57 AM »
We had a smaller than usually group of kids come T-O-T at the office.  We usually have about 40 kiddos and we had about 15-20.  And only about 5 of the employees dressed up. 

I didn't get a picture of it, but the best costume (besides the babies in various cuddly costumes) was one coworker's daughter and friend who dressed up like the twins girls from The Shinning.  WAY creepy.  I could tell what they were from down the hall.

I dressed up.  In my pun-ish way.
No, not a ninja.... a cat burgular. 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2014, 01:03:55 PM »
We had a smaller than usually group of kids come T-O-T at the office.  We usually have about 40 kiddos and we had about 15-20.  And only about 5 of the employees dressed up. 

I didn't get a picture of it, but the best costume (besides the babies in various cuddly costumes) was one coworker's daughter and friend who dressed up like the twins girls from The Shinning.  WAY creepy.  I could tell what they were from down the hall.

I dressed up.  In my pun-ish way.
No, not a ninja.... a cat burgular. 

Now, that would be true to form for me!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2014, 01:34:23 PM »
I had one teenaged girl come as 'Rosie the Riveter'.  Except she couldn't remember her name and her friend had to remind her.  She did a good job, though, and looked pretty period for the 40's.  She'd tied a checked kerchief in her hair in the right style.

And then, after the kids left, I had to explain who she was to my neighbours because they had no idea who Rosie was.  I was kind of surprised since they're about 10 years older than I am.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Aquamarine

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2014, 02:00:56 PM »
Where I live does not allow TorTing and I rather enjoy it since my kids are grown, gone I don't feel the need to participate in that part of the social contract anymore.  It was fun at the time though.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

pinkflamingo

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2014, 04:11:49 PM »
My neighborhood is kind of a Halloween destination--we're close to three elementary schools, the houses are close together, and one of my neighbors constructs a mini haunted house on their lawn. So, we normally get tons of kids trick or treating.

Last year, I handed out 600 pieces of candy in less than 90 minutes and had to turn out the porch light before 7pm. This year, we handed out about 500 but only because we were throwing handfuls in kids' bags near the end. We didn't even turn out the light until after 8:30pm.

Despite the relative lack of trick or treaters, I feel bad for my new next door neighbors. No one in the neighborhood had thought to warn them that we're popular on Halloween, so they only bought one bag of candy. My fiance happened to get the story as he was coming home from work. I went over there with a bag of candy, but they had already left for the store.