Author Topic: Internet Image Oops!  (Read 963 times)

jmarvellous

Internet Image Oops!
« on: August 13, 2014, 04:57:34 PM »
We have threads about movie and TV gaffes, grammar and spelling mistakes and other errors that irk or make you laugh. This one's for those silly pairings of stock or public domain photos or videos with articles that don't quite match.

I'll start with 2 from this week:

1. A major news network apparently paired images of a man in a Mrs. Doubtfire Halloween costume with a story on the death of Robin Williams.

2. This one took a bit of digging: I was reading a blog entry about '10 ways you know it's true love' or similar. I'd clicked on it mainly because of the awkward looking photo in the link. Lo and behold, the photo was not of the author, but rather someone else's Flickr photo. I clicked on their account, and there were pictures of the same woman ... with an obviously different man. The picture in the article was 7 years old, and was with the woman's ex-fiance (it appears she's since gotten married).  :o

What are your "What were they thinking?" Internet moments?

(Links if you want, of course; I didn't feel comfortable calling out these two, but some stories surely demand proof!)

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
Re: Internet Image Oops!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 02:34:55 AM »
How's this for a screw up? The release date for the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie in Australia is september 11. The poster advertising the movie release caused quite a stir, as it features the four turtles leaping from an exploding skyscraper, and features the date September 11:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-released-on-911

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 11:56:34 AM »
We have threads about movie and TV gaffes, grammar and spelling mistakes and other errors that irk or make you laugh. This one's for those silly pairings of stock or public domain photos or videos with articles that don't quite match.

I'll start with 2 from this week:

1. A major news network apparently paired images of a man in a Mrs. Doubtfire Halloween costume with a story on the death of Robin Williams.

2. This one took a bit of digging: I was reading a blog entry about '10 ways you know it's true love' or similar. I'd clicked on it mainly because of the awkward looking photo in the link. Lo and behold, the photo was not of the author, but rather someone else's Flickr photo. I clicked on their account, and there were pictures of the same woman ... with an obviously different man. The picture in the article was 7 years old, and was with the woman's ex-fiance (it appears she's since gotten married).  :o

What are your "What were they thinking?" Internet moments?

(Links if you want, of course; I didn't feel comfortable calling out these two, but some stories surely demand proof!)

A similar thing happened when Anne B Davis died.  They used the image of the woman who played the Alice character in the parody movies.

squeakers

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 12:40:18 PM »
Newscaster sharing Twitter images of an air crash accidentally shares an image that left a lot of people gasping for air

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/18/fox-affiliate-airs-penis-pic-video_n_4987124.html

(if the url gets broken it's because after "airs-" is the word p3nis)
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 02:39:52 PM »
Newscaster sharing Twitter images of an air crash accidentally shares an image that left a lot of people gasping for air

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/18/fox-affiliate-airs-penis-pic-video_n_4987124.html

(if the url gets broken it's because after "airs-" is the word p3nis)

I couldn't resist, I had to watch the news video. The male anchor was incredibly professional after the first unexpected pics... The blond lady just kind of sat there.

I would have just laughed. There's a reason I can't be trusted on camera  >:D
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

squeakers

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 02:52:24 PM »

I couldn't resist, I had to watch the news video. The male anchor was incredibly professional after the first unexpected pics... The blond lady just kind of sat there.

I would have just laughed. There's a reason I can't be trusted on camera  >:D

There's a picture on the page that is of their immediate reactions that makes me laugh: guy on the left did the hand headed to mouth but smoothly touches face and back down by his side, woman with mouth open and eyes wide, talker is a pro, other woman with same shocked face.

I, myself, would have been on the newsroom floor laughing myself into tears.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 03:38:22 PM »
Google really, really screwed up last Christmasish, during the trial of the ex Lost Prophets singer (Ian Watkins). They accompanied the news about the conviction with a picture of a totally different chap called Ian Watkins (who, as it happens, is also famousish singer - though probably better know as H).

It would have been bad enough if the LP singer had been done for a motoring offence.

It would have been had enough if the LP singer had been done, even for assault.

But he wasn't. He was convicted for some truly horrifying crimes.

I can't remember if H threatened to sue Google or actually started legal proceedings, but I think it all got resolved in the end.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 05:14:11 PM »
American Apparel (a US clothing company) posted this photo of "fireworks" this fourth of July:

Unfortunately,

1) That's clearly not fireworks

2) It's actually the Challenger explosion, in which several people died.

They did post an apology, but I hope someone on their social media team learns to use Google image search . . .