Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 106347 times)

Katana_Geldar

I really don't like how Americans pronounce the word "buoy". Or the way they pronounce "altimeter".

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
I really don't like how Americans pronounce the word "buoy".

It makes me laugh...

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Different Americans pronounce things different ways... (Warning: Time Sink) http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/maps.html

And how do you pronounce "altimeter"?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Katana_Geldar

Alti-meter. Similar to centimetre or millimetre. Emphasis on the first syllable.

oogyda

I checked. There is no gas tank arrow on my 2009.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Alt-TIM-'m'ter.

ETA that therm-MOM'm'ter has the same cadence.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

guihong

• Super Hero!
I learned all-TIM-et-er.

emwithme

My 2003 Peugeot (UK) doesn't have one either.  What it does have is a picture of a petrol pump.  The pipe and nozzle demonstrates which side the cap is on, similar to the arrow. 

BB-VA

My 2003 Peugeot (UK) doesn't have one either.  What it does have is a picture of a petrol pump.  The pipe and nozzle demonstrates which side the cap is on, similar to the arrow.

I miss my Peugeots.  Renaults, too, although I now have a Nissan Cube (named Puppy) that is based on a Renault design. 

Those were the days...

Puppy has an arrow, btw.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Browyn

I had no idea about the wine varieties being based on the skins being used or not.  I guess I just assumed it was based on the color of the grape.

Just a curiosity, how do they remove the skins on grapes?  Do they do this before they are squished or squish and strain?

Squish and strain, at least at the wineries I've been too. For some it's squish, strain, start fermentation then add skins back.

Same idea with making apple jelly.  Its clear/gold unless you include the skins then you can have darker jelly and a little different taste.

o_gal

Nope, it's just a coincidence with most cars: http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/icon.asp

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store

Nope, it's just a coincidence with most cars: http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/icon.asp

You mean the gas pump icon is a coincidence right?

Virg

• Super Hero!
I like the way my Mercury Mountaineer is marked.  Next to the fuel gauge, there's the words "FUEL DOOR" and an arrow.  It took me a bit to figure it out but now it's as plain as can be!

Virg

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Same for it's Ford version. Makes it so easy!

o_gal

You mean the gas pump icon is a coincidence right?

Yes, it makes no difference what icon they use - the location of the nozzle on the icon does not always indicate which side the fuel door is on (the icon used by my 2004 Corolla has the nozzle on the right side but the fuel door is on the left.) As the snopes article explains, it's the same thing as all those predictors of a baby's sex. Since there are only 2 choices, you're going to be right at least 50% of the time.