Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 98284 times)

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
Earlier this morning I was picking up DD's toys, including that toy that's a rod with multi-colored rings of increasing size that stack on it.  I always have to remind myself what order they go in as I'm grabbing the rings to restack them, but this time I finally realized that they go in reverse rainbow order: blue on the bottom, then green, then yellow, then orange, then red on top.

I cannot believe it took me this long to notice.  :-[
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

faithlessone

Last year (aged 23) I finally learnt that 'suckling pig' meant 'baby pig'. All these years, I'd assumed it meant 'pig with an apple in it's mouth'. Doh!

cwm

It took me until well into my 20s to realize that "kid gloves" weren't gloves for children, but gloves made out of the hide of a baby goat, AKA a kid. I kept wondering how these adults were buying kid gloves that fit them until I finally got confused enough to look it up.

Virg

• Super Hero!
This does remind me of a moment I had with my son when he was much younger, pertaining to that.  He heard the term "kid gloves" and asked if they were gloves for kids.  I said (with the tiniest smirk) that they weren't gloves for kids, they were gloves made of kids.  The wide-eyed horror was entertaining.  I didn't explain it to him.

Virg

guihong

• Super Hero!
I didn't just learn this, but it was an embarrassingly long time before I knew Al Jolson (The Jazz Singer) wasn't black; he was born in Lithuania.  And just for trivia, although it's little known, Mae West was 1/4 African-American.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
I didn't know Halle Berry was African-American until I saw her featured in JET (an African-American magazine).  Part of it was just knowing the name was famous and knowing the face was famous but not putting the two of them together.  I think the other part of it was that her skin tone is kind of indeterminate (especially in airbrushed pictures, where magazines are STILL awful about photoshopping stars' skin to make them look lighter).

Either way, I felt like an idiot.  I mean, it's not like she's famous for being an author or a radio personality or something - I ought to have put two and two together  :P

katycoo

I didn't know Halle Berry was African-American until I saw her featured in JET (an African-American magazine).  Part of it was just knowing the name was famous and knowing the face was famous but not putting the two of them together.  I think the other part of it was that her skin tone is kind of indeterminate (especially in airbrushed pictures, where magazines are STILL awful about photoshopping stars' skin to make them look lighter).

Either way, I felt like an idiot.  I mean, it's not like she's famous for being an author or a radio personality or something - I ought to have put two and two together  :P

She is quite pale for an African American and afaik she's not really known for "championing the black cause" so I can see why you may not have realised.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!

She is quite pale for an African American and afaik she's not really known for "championing the black cause" so I can see why you may not have realised.

I *may* have kind of had her mixed up with Drew Barrymore in my mind, too  :P

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
I didn't know Vanessa Williams was black until I read something about it (I'd never heard of her until I saw her in Ugly Betty).  I thought she was just tanned.

perpetua

Ditto Slash from Guns & Roses.

Asharah

My grandmother used to swear Lena Horne wasn't black. I think she was just in denial. The woman had issues.
Asharah

lowspark

Vanessa Williams was the first black Miss America. back in the 80s (I remember when she won) but was forced to give up her title when some nude photos she had posed for in the past surfaced. I applaud her for overcoming that because I always thought it was incredibly shameful how she was treated by the pageant officials.

Halle Berry was the first (and I think still the only) black actress to win an Academy Award for Best Actress. It was a huge thing which she gushed about in her acceptance speech IIRC.

So it's funny that although both of these women were the first black women to accomplish these things, there are people who don't realize they're black! Maybe that a good thing if it means we are more color blind?

perpetua

My grandmother used to swear Lena Horne wasn't black. I think she was just in denial. The woman had issues.

I didn't know who Lena Horne was so I looked her up. She seems to have quite Caucasian features, so I can see how that mistake could be made.

katycoo

So it's funny that although both of these women were the first black women to accomplish these things, there are people who don't realize they're black! Maybe that a good thing if it means we are more color blind?

Actually I think its quite telling that they are both pale for their race.  Sadly.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Ditto Slash from Guns & Roses.

Same here.  I only realized that Slash was African-American when he showed up in an exhibition of  African-American portraits at the museum. 

Along the same lines,  I never realized that Dinah Shore was Jewish until reruns of her variety show started appearing on the Jewish cable channel's  Thursday night comedy line-up.