Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 104157 times)

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
So it's funny that although both of these women were the first black women to accomplish these things, there are people who don't realize they're black! Maybe that a good thing if it means we are more color blind?

There are many who argue that "color blindness" is a bad thing!
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Syfygeek

Ditto Slash from Guns & Roses.

Wait? What? I'm a GnR fan, and had no idea Slash was African-American. Guess that answers the "is it a perm" question...Wow, mind blown.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

nuit93

My grandmother used to swear Lena Horne wasn't black. I think she was just in denial. The woman had issues.

I didn't know who Lena Horne was so I looked her up. She seems to have quite Caucasian features, so I can see how that mistake could be made.

Didn't she try to pass (as they called it back then) in her day?

Luci

• Super Hero!
My grandmother used to swear Lena Horne wasn't black. I think she was just in denial. The woman had issues.

I didn't know who Lena Horne was so I looked her up. She seems to have quite Caucasian features, so I can see how that mistake could be made.

Didn't she try to pass (as they called it back then) in her day?

No. She was a Civil Rights activist, and started her career in the Cotton Club chorus line.

We who were here fans had no doubts about who she was or what she stood for, both on and off stage. Her record albums definitely show she was African-American.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.

He always looked like Cousin Itt to me...
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Snooks

Wait? What? I'm a GnR fan, and had no idea Slash was African-American. Guess that answers the "is it a perm" question...Wow, mind blown.

Isn't he British?

snowflake

So it's funny that although both of these women were the first black women to accomplish these things, there are people who don't realize they're black! Maybe that a good thing if it means we are more color blind?

Actually I think its quite telling that they are both pale for their race.  Sadly.

Both are more white than black when it comes down to it. 

I have always found it odd that I am an even half-and-half.  My mother has only Asian/Pacific Islander ancestry and my father has only European ancestry.   The vast majority of people cannot figure out what race I am and will ask bluntly.

But you have someone like Halle Berry who has a European mother and a father who was the standard American White/Black mix (Not sure what he looks like but the majority of people called "black" in the US are a mix.)  Of course she gets called "Black" though she is likely 50-75% white.

I was 20 before I realized that people who asked me, "What race are you?" before asking my name were on the inappropriate side.  Not mean or racist or rude - because most of the time it's without malice.  But it is sort of odd.  Get to know me before you ask personal questions.

faithlessone

Isn't he British?

He is British. His mother is African-American though, and his father is White British.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 04:16:38 PM by faithlessone »

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Last year (aged 23) I finally learnt that 'suckling pig' meant 'baby pig'. All these years, I'd assumed it meant 'pig with an apple in it's mouth'. Doh!

Well, actually you haven't exactly been wrong all those years. 

Most farmers or others who actually raise pigs refer to them as piglets.  The term 'suckling' pig does refer to a very new baby pig who isn't yet weaned from its Mom, but the term is rarely used outside of its culinary context.

Bluenomi

Earlier this morning I was picking up DD's toys, including that toy that's a rod with multi-colored rings of increasing size that stack on it.  I always have to remind myself what order they go in as I'm grabbing the rings to restack them, but this time I finally realized that they go in reverse rainbow order: blue on the bottom, then green, then yellow, then orange, then red on top.

I cannot believe it took me this long to notice.  :-[

They are too! I never noticed either, I just slacked them based on size, never paid any attention to the colours.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
The set I've been cleaning up doesn't have all those colors

gadget--gal

On the subject of rings, I was at least late teens, early 20s before I found out that it was common for married women to wear both an engagement ring and a wedding ring.  I believed that you got an engagement ring when engaged, then traded it in for a wedding ring.  (Mom never had an engagement ring, but I knew they were a thing so naturally I assumed she traded it in.)
But, are you aware of the fact that there are married people who have neither ring.

(It was only halfway during my brthers reception that I realised that he and his wif hadn't exchanged rings.)

Hmm, come to think of it, my dad never wore a ring (he lost it before I was born) so I also didn't know it was common for men to have a wedding ring.  I think I just wasn't very observant!   ;)

My name pronunciation problem was Penelope.  Pen-ah-lope isn't right??

It's pronounced Pen-EH-lo-pee. But I always pronounced it the other way until I was like... in my teens, and someone gently corrected me. Whoops.

that's my name. I don't mind correcting someone the first time, but unfortunately in my parent's country. it's commonly pronounced "the other way" and the galling thing is people tried to tell me *I* was wrong. in a really patronising way some would even go as far as to say the correct way (Pen-EH-lo-pee) was "bush" i.e. uncivilized or like a bumpkin.

so now I'm really precious about the pronunciation of my name, though I do try to be polite about it.

(

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
This does remind me of a moment I had with my son when he was much younger, pertaining to that.  He heard the term "kid gloves" and asked if they were gloves for kids.  I said (with the tiniest smirk) that they weren't gloves for kids, they were gloves made of kids.  The wide-eyed horror was entertaining.  I didn't explain it to him.

Virg

I thought the same thing as a kid then I saw a pair of kid gloves in an antique store and said "These are too big for a kid!"

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Calistoga

The other day someone was talking about the Stanley cup and I felt like such a moron when I had to ask DH where the teams for that were from. I didn't understand if it was hockey teams from around the world, or just from Canada, or from North America.... he laughed at me, boo!

Shoo

• Super Hero!
The other day someone was talking about the Stanley cup and I felt like such a moron when I had to ask DH where the teams for that were from. I didn't understand if it was hockey teams from around the world, or just from Canada, or from North America.... he laughed at me, boo!

I don't think this really fits the category of things adults should know.  I bet a LOT of people don't know.  For one, me!  I don't know the first thing about hockey.  I wouldn't even know what the Stanley Cup *is*....well, now I do, I guess. :)