Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 113055 times)

AylaM

As a kid I didn't know if I liked or hated mayo.  Sometimes it made my sandwiches better and sometimes it was wrong.  It annoyed my parents that I'd sometimes tell people that I hated mayo, because I ate it all the time.

I grew up in a house with my mom and grandma.  Mom only eats mayo and grandma only eats MW.  What I got depended on who was cooking.  I can't stand miracle whip, and didn't know it existed.  So all I knew was sometimes mayo was good and sometimes it wasn't.

Pen^2

I was watching the National Geographic channel today and there was a scene which involved a wildebeest. I couldn't help but think that it was the most gnu-looking wildebeest I'd ever seen, so I looked up the two animals to see how closely related they are.

Turns out they're two different words for the exact same animal. ::)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
As a kid I didn't know if I liked or hated mayo.  Sometimes it made my sandwiches better and sometimes it was wrong.  It annoyed my parents that I'd sometimes tell people that I hated mayo, because I ate it all the time.

I grew up in a house with my mom and grandma.  Mom only eats mayo and grandma only eats MW.  What I got depended on who was cooking.  I can't stand miracle whip, and didn't know it existed.  So all I knew was sometimes mayo was good and sometimes it wasn't.

Our house always had both growing up. For a ham sandwich, I liked mayo. For a sliced chicken sandwhich I liked the extra punch of MW. For Tuna salad, I liked the MW but for making potato salad or chicken salad, it was always mayo.

One day a friend had spent the night and I was making us sandwiches as a late night snack. I asked her if she wanted mayo or MW. She said she wanted mayo. She tasted her sandwich and asked what I had put on it and I said mayo and she said it didnt' taste right so I showed her the jar and she said that wasn't the type they used then she spied the MW jar and said that's the type of mayo her family used. I made her a new sandwich and gave her old one to the cat who wasn't picky about mayo or MW.

Optimoose Prime

Mayo and Miracle Whip both have their uses.  Deviled Eggs = Miracle Whip.  Roast beef on rye = mayonnaise.

daen

Mayo and Miracle Whip both have their uses.  Deviled Eggs = Miracle Whip.  Roast beef on rye = mayonnaise.

Ah, for me, roast beef sandwich (not necessarily on rye) = Russian dressing or Catalina dressing. But then, I do like a bit of sweetness.

GreenHall

God bless Google.  Today I learned how to change fluorescent lightbulbs.  (They rotate.). Why the kitchen lights are 4 foot fluorescents remains unknown (house built 10ish years ago, everything else is twist in bulbs...)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Miracle Whip and thick slices of turkey breast on whole wheat with lettuce & tomato after Thanksgiving (November - USA).  Although any time I smoke a turkey (outside - it doesn't heat up the house in summer time) will work - the fresher tomatoes taste better in the summer...

Mayo - not what we had growing up - so, while I'm sure that there are foods it complements better - I don't know offhand which ones they are...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
I sometimes buy a tiny jar of mayo to use after Thanksgiving on Leftover Sandwiches. Most of it always ends up in the trash.

Durkey's if you can get it is even better with Turkey.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Betelnut

The reason why everyone says to not mow the lawn when the grass is wet.  My garage smelled bad for about a month when, one day, I moved the lawn mower and rotting, composting grass--with the consistency of glue--dropped out from its innards.

Strangely enough, I had actually used the lawn mower three or four times while it had this huge plug of grass glued to the inside of it, rotting away.

I promptly scooped up the composting grass to use on my lawn but now I know--don't mow while wet unless you at least clean out the inside bottom of the mower afterwards!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

squeakers

The reason why everyone says to not mow the lawn when the grass is wet.  My garage smelled bad for about a month when, one day, I moved the lawn mower and rotting, composting grass--with the consistency of glue--dropped out from its innards.

Strangely enough, I had actually used the lawn mower three or four times while it had this huge plug of grass glued to the inside of it, rotting away.

I promptly scooped up the composting grass to use on my lawn but now I know--don't mow while wet unless you at least clean out the inside bottom of the mower afterwards!

That's one of the reasons to not mow... the other is that the cut grass is susceptible to fungus/bacteria.  If it is wet then you are flinging fungus/bacteria around in a nice moist environment.  It's the same reason you shouldn't pick tomatoes/beans/peppers etc after a rain or after watering.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Syfygeek

I was watching the National Geographic channel today and there was a scene which involved a wildebeest. I couldn't help but think that it was the most gnu-looking wildebeest I'd ever seen, so I looked up the two animals to see how closely related they are.

No, no way. A gnu and a wildebeest are the same? They gave this poor animal 2 names, one makes sense (wild beast = wildebeest) and one is a, well, something to make jokes with. It will always be a gnu to gme....
That's my purse! I don't know you!

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store

No, no way. A gnu and a wildebeest are the same? They gave this poor animal 2 names, one makes sense (wild beast = wildebeest) and one is a, well, something to make jokes with. It will always be a gnu to gme....

According to Wikipedia..  "The name "gnu" originates from the Khoikhoi name for these animals, gnou" "Wildebeest is [/size]Dutch[/color][/size] for "wild beast" or "wild cattle" in [/size]Afrikaans[/color][/size] (bees = cattle)"[/i]

Pen^2

Loads of animals have two names--there's nothing gnu (sorry :P) there! Reindeer and caribou, manul and Pallas' cat, pygmy/gracile/slender chimpanzee and bonobo, the red cat-bear and the lesser panda, moose and elk, chevrotain and mouse deer, cougar and puma, white ants and termites, etc. all spring to mind, but there are probably thousands more. I just had no idea that wildebeest were gnus! I though wildebeest were large, stocky antelope creatures, whereas gnus were more cow-like animals with funny, curvy muzzles.

I'd love to share a list of animals with alternative names, but Google isn't being helpful.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
Also, the sound that a wildebeest makes kind of sounds like "gnu". I kind of wonder if that isn't how they got the name to begin with.

Luci

• Super Hero!
Please rethink moose and elk. The antlers and noses, body builds and coloring are way different. Even their habits are very different.