Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 107241 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
I've seen another magic trick for zipper tabs. Put a small keyring in the end of the zipper pull and you can hook it over the button on the jeans before you button the fabric on. It stays hidden and keeps the zipper from falling. It's a brilliant plan, I tell you.

What a brilliant idea! I would have never thought of that. Also, it would make it so much easier for little boys to zip back up after restroom trips. My grandson would always have a zipper that travelled too far down, and it was hard for his little fingers to dig the tab out so he could zip back up.
I had to dig a tab out for DH yesterday, because his fingers were too big!  8)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Virg

• Super Hero!
Elfmama wrote:

"I had to dig a tab out for DH yesterday, because his fingers were too big!"

In Man class, they teach you that this is the reason why you always carry a screwdriver or pocket knife.  He must have been the one who got sent for pizza during that lesson.

Virg

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Elfmama wrote:

"I had to dig a tab out for DH yesterday, because his fingers were too big!"

In Man class, they teach you that this is the reason why you always carry a screwdriver or pocket knife.  He must have been the one who got sent for pizza during that lesson.

Virg
He was upstairs, and he came wandering into my sewing room because I keep small screwdrivers in the tool drawer of my sewing machine.  His screwdrivers were downstairs, and I suspect that he didn't want to have a knife that close to his manly bits! :D 
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Virg

• Super Hero!
Elfmama wrote:

"He was upstairs, and he came wandering into my sewing room because I keep small screwdrivers in the tool drawer of my sewing machine."

Well, alright, then.  I won't send the Man police for his card.  This time.

Virg

Snooks

I'm incredibly thankful for the locking mechanism on my jeans zip due to the fact that if I let the zip go all the way down to the bottom the zip comes off.  I am only wearing the jeans places I can disappear to take them off and rethread the zip if need be.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
I'm incredibly thankful for the locking mechanism on my jeans zip due to the fact that if I let the zip go all the way down to the bottom the zip comes off.  I am only wearing the jeans places I can disappear to take them off and rethread the zip if need be.

Could you stitch together the ends with some strong thread, so the zip can't come off?

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Oh, I've been meaning to tell on myself about this one. You know how when you're paying a utility bill or rent or something, there's often a little code they want you to write on your check, like a customer number? Yeah, I was in my early 20s and living in my third apartment on my own before I realized that was actually important. ::) I honestly thought that was just some persnickety thing companies wanted me to do to irritate me. Ah, the brilliance of youth. Then one day I was waiting at my landlord's office and watched someone inputting rent checks on the computer, and I saw that she was looking up accounts by the customer number so she could be sure and assign the check to the right person. In case the name on the check didn't match the account name (like if a parent was paying the rent--college students) or something like that.

Lightbulb moment.

Of course these days I pay only one bill with an actual check, the rest are all online and they know who I am from logging in, so maybe this will become a thing of the past soon.
~Lynn2000

Virg

• Super Hero!
Snooks wrote:

"I'm incredibly thankful for the locking mechanism on my jeans zip due to the fact that if I let the zip go all the way down to the bottom the zip comes off.  I am only wearing the jeans places I can disappear to take them off and rethread the zip if need be."

Bend a staple or other small piece of metal around the bottom teeth on the zipper and the slide won't be able to drop off the teeth.

Virg

cwm

Oh, I've been meaning to tell on myself about this one. You know how when you're paying a utility bill or rent or something, there's often a little code they want you to write on your check, like a customer number? Yeah, I was in my early 20s and living in my third apartment on my own before I realized that was actually important. ::) I honestly thought that was just some persnickety thing companies wanted me to do to irritate me. Ah, the brilliance of youth. Then one day I was waiting at my landlord's office and watched someone inputting rent checks on the computer, and I saw that she was looking up accounts by the customer number so she could be sure and assign the check to the right person. In case the name on the check didn't match the account name (like if a parent was paying the rent--college students) or something like that.

Lightbulb moment.

Of course these days I pay only one bill with an actual check, the rest are all online and they know who I am from logging in, so maybe this will become a thing of the past soon.

I had that explained to me in high school. That's why I always give the "remit this portion with payment" part back. A friend said that it was useless, that if the check had all the information that it was fine, but I try to make it easier on whoever's job it is to input payments.

CuriousParty

I had that explained to me in high school. That's why I always give the "remit this portion with payment" part back. A friend said that it was useless, that if the check had all the information that it was fine, but I try to make it easier on whoever's job it is to input payments.

And all of us who have ever done data entry bless you.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!

And all of us who have ever done data entry bless you.

Oh yeah, that part, I at least did. :) But I swear, I would look at the instruction that said, "Write your Customer Number on your check," and think, "That's stupid. They're just trying to annoy me. I'm not doing it." ::) Why I thought that was a reasonable motivation for a utility provider or landlord to have, I don't know...
~Lynn2000

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
I looked back six pages in the Coffee Break folder so I could resurrect this thread and tell on myself.

So, okay, this evening I had an... incident with the toilet, and I had to get out the plunger--serious-looking black rubber thing on a wooden handle. Not just the simple rubber suction cup, this is one my dad got me with extra... shape. Anyway, so I dealt with the toilet successfully and then I was trying to clean the plunger, because... ew.

After trying without much success to rinse the inside of the plunger without touching it or indeed even looking at it, I decided to let it soak in the bathroom sink for a while, so I plugged the drain of the sink, filled it with water, and let the plunger soak there. Now, my bathroom sink and I have also had our differences. I've been liberal with the Draino and I finally got it draining slightly faster than molasses and thought I would just have to live with that.

So I let the toilet plunger soak for a while, then I unplugged the sink drain to let the water out. Then I decided to do a little plunging in the sink with the plunger, in the hopes that this would get fresh water inside the plunger in the same places nasty water goes, to help rinse it out. So I plunged a little, over the drain of the sink because there wasn't really any place else, and all of a sudden there was this roaring noise, and then the water just... shot straight down the sink drain, emptying the entire sink in seconds.

I swear to you, I had no idea you could use a toilet plunger to clear a clogged sink drain. I'm going to try it on the bathtub drain next.
~Lynn2000

squeakers

I looked back six pages in the Coffee Break folder so I could resurrect this thread and tell on myself.

So, okay, this evening I had an... incident with the toilet, and I had to get out the plunger--serious-looking black rubber thing on a wooden handle. Not just the simple rubber suction cup, this is one my dad got me with extra... shape. Anyway, so I dealt with the toilet successfully and then I was trying to clean the plunger, because... ew.

After trying without much success to rinse the inside of the plunger without touching it or indeed even looking at it, I decided to let it soak in the bathroom sink for a while, so I plugged the drain of the sink, filled it with water, and let the plunger soak there. Now, my bathroom sink and I have also had our differences. I've been liberal with the Draino and I finally got it draining slightly faster than molasses and thought I would just have to live with that.

So I let the toilet plunger soak for a while, then I unplugged the sink drain to let the water out. Then I decided to do a little plunging in the sink with the plunger, in the hopes that this would get fresh water inside the plunger in the same places nasty water goes, to help rinse it out. So I plunged a little, over the drain of the sink because there wasn't really any place else, and all of a sudden there was this roaring noise, and then the water just... shot straight down the sink drain, emptying the entire sink in seconds.

I swear to you, I had no idea you could use a toilet plunger to clear a clogged sink drain. I'm going to try it on the bathtub drain next.

They work pretty good on kitchen sinks too.  Unless there is a clog made of small forks that are trying to mate in the drain.  That required DH to open the pipes and buy a new sink drain thingamabob (the crap catcher).  The crosshatch part of the drain has dissolved so stuff would fall down into the pipes.  Since it is part of the sink itself one can't easily replace it.  So the drainer/strainer whatever is now used on that side of the sink.  It doesn't close so can't fill the sink but at least nothing can fall down that side anymore.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Leaving the tab on a zipper up allows it to unzip with a bit of gentle pressure. Putting the tab down locks it in place so the zipper won't come undone. I really wish I'd had that lightbulb moment before I tossed DD's jeans that kept coming unzipped.  :P

And yes, I went all around the house trying it on various items to see if it worked on everything. Lol!

This isn't true of *every* zipper in the world--I sewed a hook-and-eye onto a coworker's skirt because her zipper would *not* stay up.

And some zippers have an extra pokey-out part on the underside of the tab to enhance the locking part. I'd never heard of this being true with the non-locking zippers.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
...  Then I decided to do a little plunging in the sink with the plunger, in the hopes that this would get fresh water inside the plunger in the same places nasty water goes, to help rinse it out. So I plunged a little, over the drain of the sink because there wasn't really any place else, and all of a sudden there was this roaring noise, and then the water just... shot straight down the sink drain, emptying the entire sink in seconds.

Though, I tried this on the kitchen sink, and the pipe popped off. Apparently the drain isn't firmly locked into the elbow pipe. So that air can pass or something. Or, maybe it's just my sink.