News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 10:30:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 283841 times)

Twik

Just had a co-worker, an otherwise intelligent woman, who tried to convince me that Puerto Rico became the 51st state of the United States last year. I don't know if she thought it was a conspiracy that nobody knew about it, or why she thought we didn't have the fancy new flag she used as evidence, but it took her a bit of convincing to prove otherwise.

I ... she had her own flag with 51 stars? Seriously?

I know last year was an election year down there, but I think a whole new state would have made the news at some point.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

zyrs

• spiffily male.
Just had a co-worker, an otherwise intelligent woman, who tried to convince me that Puerto Rico became the 51st state of the United States last year. I don't know if she thought it was a conspiracy that nobody knew about it, or why she thought we didn't have the fancy new flag she used as evidence, but it took her a bit of convincing to prove otherwise.

This seems to be something that a few people are confused about - I have seen a couple stories of people being convinced that Peurto Rico is now the 51st state.  I think it is because they voted to seek statehood and other people don't understand that that still needs to be approved.

cwm

I know last year was an election year down there, but I think a whole new state would have made the news at some point.

Well, she didn't have the flag herself, but she found pictures online. So it must be true, right? Because there was a website that said it was true.

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!

Well, she didn't have the flag herself, but she found pictures online. So it must be true, right? Because there was a website that said it was true.
Might have been this one: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/08/puerto-rico-state-flag_n_2090769.html

Googling for "51 Star Flag" brings up a number of images.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Luci

Might have been this one: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/08/puerto-rico-state-flag_n_2090769.html

Googling for "51 Star Flag" brings up a number of images.

When I was 7 during the first Eisenhower convention, I got really confused about why Puerto Rico was at the convention. Mom said it was a protectorate, and now I'm still confused. But at least I know it's not a state!

cabbageweevil

US flag matters -- going off from the real world, into speculative fiction...  considerable play is made with these things, in Harry Turtledove's "Southern Victory" alternative-history novel series.  The premise: the Confederacy wins the Civil War in 1862, and successfully secedes -- there ensues a protracted rather nasty situation, in which the United States and the Confederate States are permanently at each other's throats, and fight war after war with each other.

In this time-line of Turtledove's, the "political" map differs considerably from that in "our time-line".  For whatever reason, there are overall fewer separate states in the United States -- for instance, North and South Dakota are just the one state of Dakota. Various states on the USA / CSA border change hands, or appear / disappear, from time to time. IIRC -- Puerto Rico, as mentioned in PPs, still belongs to Spain in this time-line, in which there is no Spanish-American War. Certainly, in Turtledove's time-line, Alaska is still Russian territory.

What with all the above, it can be something of a puzzle to keep track of how many states the United States has, at any particular point in time.  People who are geeks over this series, have lots of fun homing in on references in the text, to the number of stars on the United States' flag, and discoursing / disputing over whether the cited number is in fact correct...

sunnygirl

There's a very famous British fictional character named Bulldog Drummond (who James Bond is based on), and in his first book, he actually fights a gorilla with his bare hands and wins.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
US flag matters -- going off from the real world, into speculative fiction...  considerable play is made with these things, in Harry Turtledove's "Southern Victory" alternative-history novel series.  The premise: the Confederacy wins the Civil War in 1862, and successfully secedes -- there ensues a protracted rather nasty situation, in which the United States and the Confederate States are permanently at each other's throats, and fight war after war with each other.

In this time-line of Turtledove's, the "political" map differs considerably from that in "our time-line".  For whatever reason, there are overall fewer separate states in the United States -- for instance, North and South Dakota are just the one state of Dakota. Various states on the USA / CSA border change hands, or appear / disappear, from time to time. IIRC -- Puerto Rico, as mentioned in PPs, still belongs to Spain in this time-line, in which there is no Spanish-American War. Certainly, in Turtledove's time-line, Alaska is still Russian territory.

What with all the above, it can be something of a puzzle to keep track of how many states the United States has, at any particular point in time.  People who are geeks over this series, have lots of fun homing in on references in the text, to the number of stars on the United States' flag, and discoursing / disputing over whether the cited number is in fact correct...

I believe we have two states of North and South Dakota in part because that meant two more northern senators when the Dakotas became states rather than a territory. (I think Maine was given statehood to balance a new state in the south, on the same basis.)

And yes, in that sort of alternate timeline the United States wouldn't have had the money to buy Alaska in 1867, though if I were doing world-building I might make it part of British Canada, since the Russians would still have wanted the money.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.

I believe we have two states of North and South Dakota in part because that meant two more northern senators when the Dakotas became states rather than a territory. (I think Maine was given statehood to balance a new state in the south, on the same basis.)

And yes, in that sort of alternate timeline the United States wouldn't have had the money to buy Alaska in 1867, though if I were doing world-building I might make it part of British Canada, since the Russians would still have wanted the money.

Canada was actively trying to get it, so yes. If the US did not want it, it would be a province of Canada.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

cabbageweevil

Only in these books of Mr. Turtledove's, he has other plans for Canada -- not nice ones.  The novels tell of, altogether, a pretty miserable "time-line"...

Yarnspinner

Never had a dishwasher before.  For the last nine years, I have had one.  Could not figure out why there was goop left over on my glasses and why I had to keep washing them by hand, why utensils got all streaky, why there was build up in the bottom of the washer.

And then I realized that when people were talking about "rinsing" the dishes, they weren't referring to a rinse cycle....they were referring to a lovely little liquid you poured into a special spot inside the washer which would spray the dishes and make them less likely to have junk left behind, decreased the scum that builds up (which I was cleaning out every time I used the machine) and made utensils shiny! 

How could I have gotten to this age and not known that?

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
If you have lime in the local water - either white vinegar, cider vinegar, or a lime & scale remover will do wonders on the dishwasher.

If the glasses are really scummy looking - I leave them in the dishwasher with the lime & scale remover & run it immediately with the hottest water that I can get to the dishwasher.  Clean glasses look so much nicer...but I don't use that stuff with metal in the dishwasher.  Metal gets run with vinegar only...partly because it doesn't seem to have the gunk build up nearly as much & partly to protect the metal.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Luci

If you have lime in the local water - either white vinegar, cider vinegar, or a lime & scale remover will do wonders on the dishwasher.

If the glasses are really scummy looking - I leave them in the dishwasher with the lime & scale remover & run it immediately with the hottest water that I can get to the dishwasher.  Clean glasses look so much nicer...but I don't use that stuff with metal in the dishwasher.  Metal gets run with vinegar only...partly because it doesn't seem to have the gunk build up nearly as much & partly to protect the metal.

Where do you put that? I used to use a rinse aid in the little Jet Dry thing, but haven't had to lately. I always hand rinse my dishes before washing and only use liquid dishwasher detergent - it doesn't eat the dishes so much.

I don't use the dishwasher for just the two of us.

PastryGoddess

Where do you put that? I used to use a rinse aid in the little Jet Dry thing, but haven't had to lately. I always hand rinse my dishes before washing and only use liquid dishwasher detergent - it doesn't eat the dishes so much.

I don't use the dishwasher for just the two of us.

You put it in the rinse fluid container

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
I just pour it into the bottom of the dishwasher & start the thing running right away - no detergent.  Just vinegar & hot water or lime remover & hot water - then a rinse of hot water.

It can be amazing what just hot water will get off some things....

Same thing in the clothes washer - towels & hot water once in a while to get the detergent scum & stuff scrubbed out of the tub (and out of the towels) - then bleach in a second run through without the towels - just in case there is anything growing in there....lots of bleach.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?