Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 81342 times)

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
I don't know if giving out recommendations for vaccines count as medical advice, but perhaps it had better be taken to PM so as not to ger this thread locked?

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

PeterM

My personal opinion of the film (what of it I was awake for) was that it was beyond awful; but tastes differ !

I'm glad I saw it but think it wasn't very good. Except for the last act, the big chase. That was pretty awesome, especially that they unselfconsciously used The William Tell Overture.

Also, the horse. It had to be 95% CGI, but Silver was definitely the star of the movie.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
I just learned a few minutes ago that adult humans need vaccines too.  I do not have medical records from my childhood and no idea what was given to me when but as we're about to leave the country we are required to get one vaccine and when the nurse heard my uncertain vaccination status (ie: I have not had a tetanus shot in 20+ years), she seemed shocked.  So now I get to schedule Yellow fever, typhoid, Hep A, and tetanus shots.  I'm going to be a pin cushion!

Is there a list of vaccines adult humans are supposed to receive?  I am always aware of my pets' vaccine status but it never occurred to me to get myself up-to-date.   :-\
Be aware that one or more of these might make you feel ill, similar to flu, as your immune system ramps up to churn out antibodies.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

cabbageweevil

My personal opinion of the film (what of it I was awake for) was that it was beyond awful; but tastes differ !

I'm glad I saw it but think it wasn't very good. Except for the last act, the big chase. That was pretty awesome, especially that they unselfconsciously used The William Tell Overture.

Also, the horse. It had to be 95% CGI, but Silver was definitely the star of the movie.

I'm afraid I thought the final chase scene was dire.  Mind you, I'm a railway enthusiast, which tends to spoil me for goofy and impossible stuff involving trains -- such as a horse being ridden along the roofs of the coaches (cars) -- even a magical spirit animal !  Well, life would be dull if all of us liked and disliked the same things...

Iris

I'm afraid I thought the final chase scene was dire.  Mind you, I'm a railway enthusiast, which tends to spoil me for goofy and impossible stuff involving trains -- such as a horse being ridden along the roofs of the coaches (cars) -- even a magical spirit animal !  Well, life would be dull if all of us liked and disliked the same things...

I'm sure this is an obvious thing that adults should know, but although I didn't see the movie when I saw the trailer I wondered why it isn't racist for Johnny Depp to be painting his face to play a Native American? I'm not from the US so maybe there's something I don't know, or perhaps the makeup wasn't as dire as the previews made it look...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.

I'm sure this is an obvious thing that adults should know, but although I didn't see the movie when I saw the trailer I wondered why it isn't racist for Johnny Depp to be painting his face to play a Native American? I'm not from the US so maybe there's something I don't know, or perhaps the makeup wasn't as dire as the previews made it look...

From what I have heard, he actually consulted some Native Americans to get the right look and feel of the character. He was trying for an authentic look for someone of that era, not a frivolous Halloween costume type. Much less offensive that way.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Katana_Geldar

But he looks like someone going to a KISS concert with that face paint.

I prefer the reovirus film Disney did, John Carter, which is rather underrated.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!

I thought they did a great job with John Carter. That movie suffered from criminally poor marketing. I hate that it was a flop, because I would've loved to see more in the series.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Adult vaccines tend to be for specific occasions, not just because of an age schedule like children's vaccines are.  My vaccines have all either been seasonal (flu) or because I'm traveling and I need to be vaccinated against bugs they have there but aren't an issue here (malaria, yellow fever, etc).  You may need more vaccines if you missed some in childhood, but most adults don't *need* vaccines/boosters the way children do.  Several which are recommended in certain populations, sure, but not "you'll get polio and die" kind of vaccines.

The major exception is tetanus.  You should have a tetanus shot every 10 years, minimum, and if you are an active gardener, you should go for a booster every 5 years. I had my last one in 2010 to make it easy for me to remember when I have to do it again.

Brilliant!

Ereine

The look is based on a painting (I Am Crow by Kirby Sattler) that's apparently not very historically accurate or isn't even meant to be, the artist isn't interested in depicting certain tribes.

cwm

Adult vaccines tend to be for specific occasions, not just because of an age schedule like children's vaccines are.  My vaccines have all either been seasonal (flu) or because I'm traveling and I need to be vaccinated against bugs they have there but aren't an issue here (malaria, yellow fever, etc).  You may need more vaccines if you missed some in childhood, but most adults don't *need* vaccines/boosters the way children do.  Several which are recommended in certain populations, sure, but not "you'll get polio and die" kind of vaccines.

The major exception is tetanus.  You should have a tetanus shot every 10 years, minimum, and if you are an active gardener, you should go for a booster every 5 years. I had my last one in 2010 to make it easy for me to remember when I have to do it again.

Brilliant!

We were told every 3-5 years for dog grooming. Work wouldn't pay for it, neither would the insurance for work. But if you happened to get bit at work (much more common than you'd think) and needed a work comp claim, work comp would pay for it. Nobody actually paid for a tetanus shot at that job.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Taking my first science class with an actual lab component. I did not realize there is absolutely no eating, drinking, taking of medication, lip balm application, mints or gum allowed in the lab. It was very difficult for me to go three hours without a drink. I hope to adjust to it by next week's lab.

fountainof

Wow those are major lab restrictions.  I only took physics in university so the labs had no chemicals.  Can you leave for a drink?  I wonder what people with illnesses do?  A diabetic probably couldn't go that long without a snack. 

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
Taking my first science class with an actual lab component. I did not realize there is absolutely no eating, drinking, taking of medication, lip balm application, mints or gum allowed in the lab. It was very difficult for me to go three hours without a drink. I hope to adjust to it by next week's lab.

In my uni courses, all the three-hour classes either had a ten-minute break in the middle or let out ten minutes early - students got to vote on which they'd prefer. Most ended up going for the mid-class break and used it for leg stretches and grabbing snacks. I'm guessing you're working with potentially hazardous chemicals? If you're gowned and gloved up, a break might not be practical. :-\

There was a post in the Student Darwinism thread about somebody who brought a granola bar into a class working with potentially carcinogenic chemicals, and started eating it without taking his gloves off. :o
"Set aphasia to stun!"

menley

Oh dear. I'm a living example of why those eating and drinking rules exist. We were working with some equipment and I was super hungry, so I snuck (sneaked?) a snack, but I wasn't as diligent as I should have been about washing my hands because I was trying to be surreptitious. The next week I had a massive infection in my throat and the doctor said something like "This is truly impressive, normally we only see this level of infection in patients with CF or other compromised immune systems." After I answered no to the medical history questions about a suppressed immune system, he said "It looks almost like you've dumped the contents of a petri dish in your throat!" That was a bit of a light bulb moment and I asked if I could possibly have gotten it from working on the equipment we'd been using without washing hands properly - he promptly gave me a lecture on handwashing, lab sanitation, and incubation of diseases in crevices of poorly cleansed lab equipment :)