Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 113671 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
^^^  Regardless of the 'color' of the icon, usually in most toasters I've seen the dial works something like a water spigot.  The farther to the right you turn in the more "on" it is, or in this case, the heating elements stay on longer giving you darker toast.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
I'll tell you something else about some toasters that I can't think too much about, or it will blow my mind. So, most toasters, you can set how toasted you want the bread to be, from barely warm to black and charred. A lot of them just have an imprecise dial with an icon of a white piece of bread at one extreme, and a black piece of bread at the other extreme.

But which end is which?

IME, on some toasters, the white icon means "lightly toasted," like the color of the bread before toasting; and the dark icon means "heavily toasted," again like the dark color toasted bread has.

But on other toaster brands, it's the opposite, especially if the toaster itself is dark-colored--then the "dark" icon is actually supposed to be an empty outline of a piece of bread, like an empty cup icon on a coffee maker--very little heat applied. The "white" icon is actually supposed to mean "full" as in fully toasted, turn the heat all the way up.

I discovered this because I used to like my bread only lightly toasted. Now I get so confused with new toasters that I just set the knob in the middle.  :P

Good product design is actually much harder than it seems. Things like this happen because the designer knows what the icons mean but has trouble approaching this from the perspective of someone who doesn't.

Many years ago, a company I worked for had a user interface to control several types of hardware. One type was a "Communications Processor" which was (for odd reasons) called a "COP". The user interface icon had the picture of a policeman with his hand up, palm out. Somebody who didn't know the system would assume that that icon was to stop something, not to access the "COP". Take this out of the cultural environment (this was the US and we were internationalizing the product for Japan) and it gets even more confusing.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

lowspark

^^^  Regardless of the 'color' of the icon, usually in most toasters I've seen the dial works something like a water spigot.  The farther to the right you turn in the more "on" it is, or in this case, the heating elements stay on longer giving you darker toast.

This.
Mine has numbers. The higher the number, the darker the toast. But yeah, the farther right, the darker the toast. The numbers, pictures or whatever are just arbitrary anyway.

Virg

• Super Hero!
The way I suggest for finding out how a toaster  (or toaster oven) works is just to sacrifice two slices, cooking one with the dial to the far left and one to the far right.  It becomes very obvious which is which that way.

For the best toaster, I always suggest getting an extra wide, extra long toaster.  The one we saw that I liked best had a single slot about a foot and a half wide and three inches across.  It was supposed to be for toasting thick stuff like bagels.  It was big enough that I could have toasted a trout if I cared to.

Virg

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
I'll tell you something else about some toasters that I can't think too much about, or it will blow my mind. So, most toasters, you can set how toasted you want the bread to be, from barely warm to black and charred. A lot of them just have an imprecise dial with an icon of a white piece of bread at one extreme, and a black piece of bread at the other extreme.

But which end is which?
And along that line, appliances like toaster ovens that have tiny, discreet markings on a gray background, in a slightly lighter or darker gray.  My vision is such that I can't see them until I get my face six inches away!  I take a marker of some kind and write over them so that I can see them from a normal distance.  I can't do that with the bread machine, though.  It's LED display, so I can't change it. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

jilly

I live in the UK I passed my driving test about 16 years ago. Yesterday I learnt that what makes a dual carriageway is not the road being 2 lanes in each direction but some sort of central reservation. It doesn't have to be much just a small fence or a bit of grass, anything more than a mere painted white line separating each direction and you have a duel carriageway even if its only a single lane either side!! two lanes in each direction and just paint separating them is only a single carriageway.
Since finding this out I have blown many drivers minds including people who have much more and much less experience than me.

oogyda

I just made a batch of potato gnocchi for chicken and gnocchi soup. 

Gnocchi is (I believe) Italian. 

It's very similar to the Kluski, or potato dumplings my Polish grandmother used to make.  These are much easier, though as they are dropped into the liquid in a glob as opposed to being rolled and cut. 

I'll have to remember that for next time.  For now...the gnocchi is made and I will use it. 

I guess there are a lot of foods that most cultures have their own version of. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
I realized during a sermon last week that "go the extra mile" is based on a Bible verse.  I had never really given it much thought before, just assumed it meant to "go further" for somebody without thinking about the origin of the phrase.

I found myself looking at our toaster this morning to see how they labeled the settings.  :)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
I found myself looking at our toaster this morning to see how they labeled the settings.  :)

My work here is done.  8)
~Lynn2000

Bobbie

I grew up in the military and had only went to the base commissaries growing up.  I never went to a civilian grocery store.  When I was 18 and moved to Oregon, my older sister took great delight in taking me to Safeway, the local grocery store.  I never know that these stores had bakeries, delis, a floral dept....I was blown away lol.  People must of thought I was keep locked in a dark basement.....

Me: Oh my gosh!! Fresh doughnuts!!!
My sister: I know its so cool.
Me: Is this how it is in all these store?!?
My sis: Yes, and some are even better then others.

Also, there were no baggers.  At the commissaries there are always baggers and long lines at the checkouts.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 06:11:42 PM by Bobbie »

Bobbie

I never tried sour cream till I was married at 21 because Japanese don't eat it.  Now a taco or burrito without it is sacrilege.

marcel

This.
Mine has numbers. The higher the number, the darker the toast. But yeah, the farther right, the darker the toast. The numbers, pictures or whatever are just arbitrary anyway.
Just comenting to agree. Toasting bread is not very common in The Netherlands (it is mostly for old bread) so i do not use toasters a lot and then only at other peoples places, but every toaster i have encountered turns to the right for longer toasting.

Wherever you go..... There you are.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
And in the same spirit, my sewing machine.  The one I've had for 20+ years.  :-[   The dial for upper thread tension is marked from 0 to 9, and I could never remember which direction I wanted to turn it when I use the nylon monofilament "invisible" thread.  Then due to this thread, I realized that it was probably the same "righty-tighty, lefty-loosy" as most other things...
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
This was several years ago, but I was an adult.

I was watching a DVD of either Sesame Street or the Muppets, and for some reason I muted it. I was shocked to realize that I couldn't read the Muppets' lips.

::facepalm::
~Lynn2000

minky

This was several years ago, but I was an adult.

I was watching a DVD of either Sesame Street or the Muppets, and for some reason I muted it. I was shocked to realize that I couldn't read the Muppets' lips.

::facepalm::

LOL!  I just did something similar.  I was watching a youtube of the Avenue Q song "If You Were G*y" but with clips of Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street and I said to myself, "Wow, it looks like they're really singing the song instead of saying the lines from the original clips."  Then I went "duh".