Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 113845 times)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
This was several years ago, but I was an adult.

I was watching a DVD of either Sesame Street or the Muppets, and for some reason I muted it. I was shocked to realize that I couldn't read the Muppets' lips.

::facepalm::

LOL!  I just did something similar.  I was watching a youtube of the Avenue Q song "If You Were G*y" but with clips of Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street and I said to myself, "Wow, it looks like they're really singing the song instead of saying the lines from the original clips."  Then I went "duh".

Ha ha ha! I'm glad you admitted that. I felt like a sudden silence had descended after I posted that, because y'all were all so stupefied by my brilliance. ;)
~Lynn2000

Dr. F.

This was several years ago, but I was an adult.

I was watching a DVD of either Sesame Street or the Muppets, and for some reason I muted it. I was shocked to realize that I couldn't read the Muppets' lips.

::facepalm::

LOL!  I just did something similar.  I was watching a youtube of the Avenue Q song "If You Were G*y" but with clips of Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street and I said to myself, "Wow, it looks like they're really singing the song instead of saying the lines from the original clips."  Then I went "duh".

Ha ha ha! I'm glad you admitted that. I felt like a sudden silence had descended after I posted that, because y'all were all so stupefied by my brilliance. ;)

I'd've been willing to swear that Miss Piggy fluttered her eyelashes. Imagine my surprise when I found out that she can't - th eyelashes are fixed on her face.  :-[

daen

I'd've been willing to swear that Miss Piggy fluttered her eyelashes. Imagine my surprise when I found out that she can't - th eyelashes are fixed on her face.  :-[

Somewhat similar:

I've seen a few performances of a series of plays (the Wingfield Chronicles, by Dan Needles). They're all one-man shows, so actor Rod Beattie plays all the characters - the old man, the dimwitted brothers, the newspaper editor, the opinionated neighbor, stockbroker-turned-farmer Walt Wingfield... and Maggie, who marries Walt.

After a performance, I have to keep reminding myself that I haven't actually seen Maggie, much less any of the other characters, because Beattie's performance is so pitch-perfect he creates these characters with a change in mannerisms and voice... amazing.

I need to see another of those plays soon. I've only seen three of the seven so far...

Carotte

Do you see those space saving bags where you put things like sweaters or pillows and suck the air out?
I knew they could be used with a vacuum cleaner, but for the strangest reason always thought it would need a special one that could go in reverse  :o (not just a special apparatus that fits the bag, a special vacuum)
The "you need to suck the air out" and "vacuums suck the air out" did not click until very recently  :-[ .
At least, when I admitted that to my SO he said he had thought the same thing, that you had to use a special one and that a normal vacuum wouldn't work.

Maybe I had it mixed with the thing you use to blow up air mattres and things like that.

kckgirl

Do you see those space saving bags where you put things like sweaters or pillows and suck the air out?
I knew they could be used with a vacuum cleaner, but for the strangest reason always thought it would need a special one that could go in reverse  :o (not just a special apparatus that fits the bag, a special vacuum)
The "you need to suck the air out" and "vacuums suck the air out" did not click until very recently  :-[ .

I used a space bag to take my shaped pillow with me on a quick trip. It had to fit in my carry-on bag. When I got to my destination, I had planned to borrow a vacuum to repack the pillow, but I figured out that I could put it in a chair and gently sit on it to push the air out through the one-way valve. Worked like a charm and is easier that getting the vacuum out. That's the way I always do it now.
Maryland

Margo

I live in the UK I passed my driving test about 16 years ago. Yesterday I learnt that what makes a dual carriageway is not the road being 2 lanes in each direction but some sort of central reservation. It doesn't have to be much just a small fence or a bit of grass, anything more than a mere painted white line separating each direction and you have a duel carriageway even if its only a single lane either side!! two lanes in each direction and just paint separating them is only a single carriageway.
Since finding this out I have blown many drivers minds including people who have much more and much less experience than me.
I did know this, but because my grandmother used to live near the 'first dual carriageway in England', and it is exactly that - 2 single track roads with a grassy bank in the middle.

And more recently because there is a stretch of the North Devon Relief Road which has 2 lanes in each direction but no central reservation, and there is a big sign up reminding everyone of  the speed limits. As I know that dual carriageway = 70mph, the reminder that the limit is 60mph reinforces the 'not a dual carriageway' . Although I've notices that going 60 along there I get overtaken a lot. Maybe most people either don't read the sign, or don't know about the speed camera which comes next?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
In Ontario, we call it a 'divided highway'.  If there is a grassy median between the lanes, the speed limit is usually 100 km/hour.  If there isn't a median but there is a guardrail, it's usually 90 km/hr.  If there is no median or guardrail, it's usually 80 km/hr.  But of course, there are lots of exceptions so you really have to watch the signs.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

guihong

• Super Hero!
At least, when I admitted that to my SO he said he had thought the same thing, that you had to use a special one and that a normal vacuum wouldn't work.

Maybe I had it mixed with the thing you use to blow up air mattres and things like that.

:-[

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
I've always been confused about those vacuum storage bags. Wouldn't they damage the thing they're compressing that much? Maybe not for a short use, like a day of traveling, but often they're advertising for storing out of season clothes for months at a time. Times like this are when I'm torn between "seems obvious to me" and "surely someone thought of this before they marketed it."
~Lynn2000

jmarvellous

My vacuum bags (Space Bags brand) were great for a few uses! Kept things stored beautifully, collapsed easily with vacuuming or squeezing. But they ALWAYS got a rip or a pinhole-size leak within a few uses, probably less than a year of storage with one or two re-vacuumings. Sometimes it could be fixed with duct tape, sometimes not.

It's just thin plastic, so it doesn't surprise me, but it is disappointing.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
I've always been confused about those vacuum storage bags. Wouldn't they damage the thing they're compressing that much? Maybe not for a short use, like a day of traveling, but often they're advertising for storing out of season clothes for months at a time. Times like this are when I'm torn between "seems obvious to me" and "surely someone thought of this before they marketed it."

I use my for off season storage of quilts and sweaters. I'm not sure how compression fabric for long lengths of time is bad.  They come out wrinkled, but fluff up pretty quickly.

I also use them for traveling as well. 2 medium size bags fit perfectly in my carry-on

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
For smaller "packages" (e.g. a couple of sweaters or something) you can do basically the same thing by using oversized jumbo 2-1/2 gallon Hefty bags.  Just fold your stuff neatly, stick it in there and then sit on it to sqeeze out extra air.  Zip shut and you're done! 

You can use them over and over and so far I've never had one 'leak'.  I do this often when traveling and don't want to carry a big suitcase.  It does make a difference how much stuff you can put in even a tiny "overnight" bag or a standard 20" or 21" suitcase.

Snooks

If it makes you feel better I've just had a lightbulb moment that we don't have to use the vacuum for ours we could use the nice handheld pump for the air mattress (which deflates as well as inflates).

Katana_Geldar

I've found to Rhode Island is not actually an island. What is up with that?

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
I've found to Rhode Island is not actually an island. What is up with that?

Rhode Island is an island. (Or actually was, it's not called that anymore. What used to be called Rhode Island now goes by its Native American name.) it's just not the entire state. The official name of the state is "The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations." Providence Plantations being every else...