Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 96572 times)

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
I've found exam cheat sheets hidden in those bins when I've searched the toilets during exam time.. Yes, it's a big ick factor but I had to look as the students probably thought we wouldn't. Found a stack of paper too.

Would this be a problem? Are kids going to the toilet during the middle of the exam, and looking at the notes? I wouldn't think you'd be allowed to leave the room.
I was allowed to leave the room during my last exam to go to the bathroom, mind you I was 35 weeks pregnant. I didn't cheat though.

Victoria

Psychopoesie

I've found exam cheat sheets hidden in those bins when I've searched the toilets during exam time.. Yes, it's a big ick factor but I had to look as the students probably thought we wouldn't. Found a stack of paper too.

Would this be a problem? Are kids going to the toilet during the middle of the exam, and looking at the notes? I wouldn't think you'd be allowed to leave the room.
I was allowed to leave the room during my last exam to go to the bathroom, mind you I was 35 weeks pregnant. I didn't cheat though.

All the uni exams I've had actually allowed a toilet break, if requested. No note from a doctor or any other documentation required. Think I've only had to duck out a couple of times. Most people don't want to lose time on the exams. I didn't cheat either.

The exam invigilators keep a sharp eye out, just in case. Signs go up saying the toilets are regularly checked so it can't be much of a surprise to students when they get caught.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
In my three years of classes at my university, I have seen people be allowed to leave an exam for a bathroom break once. That is because the graduate teaching assistant went with them. She stayed outside the door.

Our exams really aren't that long and most people go before.

Ms Aspasia

There are special bins, sanitary disposal units, here in Oz. Like this:

http://www.sanokil.com.au/hygiene-services/sanitary-disposal-bins/

Not sure if they're the same everywhere.

Didn't think they were just a normal bin - they use some chemicals. There are notices on some not to put anything but the tampon or pad in the bin. I always assumed that was either because of whatever chemicals were used or related in some way to how they processed the waste afterwards. Confess I'm not totally sure.

Yes I'm in Oz too, and without checking the link, I believe we're referring to the same kind of chemically filled bin that is seen in a majority of women's public bathrooms here.  But I read recently that someone was "emptying out and washing" the special bins (ick) as a job, so I'd started to think that the chemicals weren't dissolving the contents as I'd thought all along.    I guess I'm just confused again.  :)

lowspark

I've only recently realised that the sanitary bins in public toilets...are just bins.  And it's perfectly OK to  put the wrappings from sanitary products in them, rather than hanging onto them to put in the bins by the basins.

I'm nearly 46  :P

I'm in the exact opposite spot. I hate using those bins by the toilet because I'm into "hands free" trash disposal and where I am, they are small metal bins hanging on the wall in the stall, and you have to lift the lid in order to dispose of your trash. Ugh.

I finally figured out that I can just as easily throw my stuff away in the regular trash bins by the sink where I don't have to touch anything in order to dump it.

Psychopoesie

I've only recently realised that the sanitary bins in public toilets...are just bins.  And it's perfectly OK to  put the wrappings from sanitary products in them, rather than hanging onto them to put in the bins by the basins.

I'm nearly 46  :P

I'm in the exact opposite spot. I hate using those bins by the toilet because I'm into "hands free" trash disposal and where I am, they are small metal bins hanging on the wall in the stall, and you have to lift the lid in order to dispose of your trash. Ugh.

I finally figured out that I can just as easily throw my stuff away in the regular trash bins by the sink where I don't have to touch anything in order to dump it.

Some of the newer shops and restaurants here have handsfree sanitary disposal bins - wave your hand over the top and the flap opens.

Wouldn't the regular trash bins by the sink not be set up to deal with blood products? Seems like a potential safety issue for the people that have to empty them and are expecting just paper rubbish. At least, a previous employer set up signs in the bathroom requesting products be disposed of properly for that reason.

lowspark

I dunno. There's no sign about it anywhere in the restrooms at my office. They are just regular in-the-wall bins which they line with plastic bags. They take out one plastic bag and put in a new one. It's not like they are handling the trash itself. Plus I'm not just dumping the item in as is. I wrap it up in TP first.

Honestly, I've never heard of an issue with blood products being thrown in a trash can in a public restroom, nor would it have ever occurred to me to think of it. It's a restroom trashcan. I'm sure all kinds of trash makes its way into that bin.

Not to mention that I'm pretty sure that the same person who empties the bins by the sink is also emptying the paper bags in the stalls. I'd be pretty surprised if the paper bags which hold nothing but these items are any safer to handle than the large plastic bags where my trash is buried somewhere in the middle.

Betelnut

I dunno. There's no sign about it anywhere in the restrooms at my office. They are just regular in-the-wall bins which they line with plastic bags. They take out one plastic bag and put in a new one. It's not like they are handling the trash itself. Plus I'm not just dumping the item in as is. I wrap it up in TP first.

Honestly, I've never heard of an issue with blood products being thrown in a trash can in a public restroom, nor would it have ever occurred to me to think of it. It's a restroom trashcan. I'm sure all kinds of trash makes its way into that bin.

Not to mention that I'm pretty sure that the same person who empties the bins by the sink is also emptying the paper bags in the stalls. I'd be pretty surprised if the paper bags which hold nothing but these items are any safer to handle than the large plastic bags where my trash is buried somewhere in the middle.

If it were "sharps"--yes that would be a problem.  But sanitary products don't include needles.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Can we move the sanitary disposal discussion to a new thread please?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
I have had my current stove for about 15 years.  Today -- today! -- I realized that when the timer has finished counting down, the little green light that indicates activity switches from steady to blinking.   :-[
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~