Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 106202 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
The other thread got me thinking - what things have you only recently learned that other people were surprised you didn't know?

For me, one recent one was that red wine is made with the skins and white wine is without.  I assumed it was red grapes versus white grapes.  (It's not as easy as that, apparently.)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
I've been learning a lot about twins here.  It may not be all that useful in my everyday life but it's certainly interesting. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
I don't count it as just learning it, but my studies have revealed the extent of ethnocentrism in my grade school education. From historical perspectives to maps to having information excluded, I am learning things now that I should have learned as a child in the 1970's and 1980's. It is a disgrace.

blueyzca01

It's really embarassing now, but I just didn't give it that much thought:  I didn't realize that "the flu" was "influenza."

I thought the word "flu" was generic for being sick w/ vomiting, fever, etc.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 01:24:52 PM by blueyzca01 »
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
^ When I was still living at home, every ailment was either a cold or the flu. I was also misinformed.

rose red

• Super Hero!
I'll admit it.  I only realised as an adult that Washington and DC are two different places.  And that Africa is not a country. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
I learned at my last job, working for a law firm that handled asbestos litigation, that its mined from the ground! I figured something that harmful HAD to be man-made

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
For years, I had Naples on the wrong side of Italy.  I am truly abashed. 

Shalamar

I didn't just find this out - it was when I was about 13 - but I'm still kind of embarrassed.   When I was a kid, my mother used to cut my fingernails for me with a pair of nail scissors.  These scissors were like any other kind; i.e. they were for right-handed people only.  That's why I needed her help - I could cut my left hand's nails, but not my right.  One day, I said to my friend "I have no idea how I'm going to cut my nails when I'm grown up and in a place of my own.  I'll probably have to call Mum over to help me!"  She looked at me oddly and said "Um, just use nail clippers."  "Huh?  What are those?"  "You're kidding, right?"

I wasn't.  I'd never heard of them.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
The one I learned previously on eHell that still amazes me I missed all my life is that there is an arrow near the gas gauge in cars  indicating which side the gas tank is on. When I read it I immediately went and checked both our cars. At least 70% of the people I have shared that knowledge with never knew it either.

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
The one I learned previously on eHell that still amazes me I missed all my life is that there is an arrow near the gas gauge in cars  indicating which side the gas tank is on. When I read it I immediately went and checked both our cars. At least 70% of the people I have shared that knowledge with never knew it either.

I will be checking that out in about 10 minutes when I get in my car!

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
I didn't figure out until I was in my 30's that when an adult tells a child that something is "broken" it often means they just don't want the child playing with it.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!

Only in newer cars. My previous 3, a '78, '90 and '95 didn't have this feature. My last two, and '03, and current, a '10, do.

jmarvellous

I honestly never knew which finger a wedding/engagement ring went on (obviously they can go wherever, but left ring finger is tradition here) until we were talking about buying one and I had to be sized. Oh, and I thought you wore the engagement ring on one hand and switched it after marriage (which, as it turns out, is tradition in some places/cultures, but not ours).

My then-fiance was astounded -- apparently it's standard to check a person's hand before flirting if you are a single, conscientious person of an age where people are as likely to be married as not.

RubyCat

I will be checking that out in about 10 minutes when I get in my car!

I just had to go check out my SUV and my dh's work van.  And there was the arrow  :)  When I came back inside, dh wanted to know why I was smiling, so I dragged him outside and showed him.  He didn't know about it either.  Thanks for sharing!