Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 104149 times)

cwm

The one I learned previously on eHell that still amazes me I missed all my life is that there is an arrow near the gas gauge in cars  indicating which side the gas tank is on. When I read it I immediately went and checked both our cars. At least 70% of the people I have shared that knowledge with never knew it either.

Only in newer cars. My previous 3, a '78, '90 and '95 didn't have this feature. My last two, and '03, and current, a '10, do.

Not all newer cars. Mine is an '03, and it doesn't. Neither did my '01, different make. Not all of them still have it.

In other news, I just had the sudden realization that the first several presidents of the USA weren't American born citizens.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
The one I learned previously on eHell that still amazes me I missed all my life is that there is an arrow near the gas gauge in cars  indicating which side the gas tank is on. When I read it I immediately went and checked both our cars. At least 70% of the people I have shared that knowledge with never knew it either.

I will be checking that out in about 10 minutes when I get in my car!

That's one I only learned in the last couple years, too.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Judah

• California, U.S.A

In other news, I just had the sudden realization that the first several presidents of the USA weren't American born citizens.

They were born here, it just wasn't called the United Stated of America yet. They considered themselves American.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 04:20:02 PM by Judah »
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

lilfox

I honestly never knew which finger a wedding/engagement ring went on (obviously they can go wherever, but left ring finger is tradition here) until we were talking about buying one and I had to be sized. Oh, and I thought you wore the engagement ring on one hand and switched it after marriage (which, as it turns out, is tradition in some places/cultures, but not ours).

My then-fiance was astounded -- apparently it's standard to check a person's hand before flirting if you are a single, conscientious person of an age where people are as likely to be married as not.

On the subject of rings, I was at least late teens, early 20s before I found out that it was common for married women to wear both an engagement ring and a wedding ring.  I believed that you got an engagement ring when engaged, then traded it in for a wedding ring.  (Mom never had an engagement ring, but I knew they were a thing so naturally I assumed she traded it in.)

lowspark

Regarding the arrow, it is most useful when renting a car as you can immediately tell which side of the gas pump to pull up next to when you go to fill it up.

And don't feel bad if you didn't know about it. I've told lots of people who didn't previously know. Since it's relatively new and not all that noticeable, it's not surprising many people don't know.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
I didn't figure out until I was in my 30's that when an adult tells a child that something is "broken" it often means they just don't want the child playing with it.

I was a grownup w/ my own kids when I realized that my parents had been *deliberately ignoring* the fact that we were staying up WAY past our bedtime on the nights when they went out.

I don't know why I ever thought we could be fooling them as we ran around turning off all the lights in the house when we heard their car turn onto our small-town street 3 blocks away. Of course they could see the light rectangles on the lawn, blinking out, one by one.

And that explains why sometimes their conversations as they got out of the car were REALLY absorbing, so that they took so long to actually walk in the door!

cwm

They were born here, it just wasn't called the United Stated of America yet. They considered themselves American.

Yes, but the Constitution specifically says that to be the preisdent, one has to be a natural-born citizen of the United States. Of course there was a loophole for them, but before the USA was formed, they were still technically British citizens. That realization nearly floored me.

lowspark

It's not a loophole. The constitution specifically allows for this.

from the website:
http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/constitution_transcript.html

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
It's not a loophole. The constitution specifically allows for this.

from the website:
http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/constitution_transcript.html

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

And that's my something new learned today.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Calistoga

You can't use regular dish detergent in a dish washer.

It makes bubbles...everywhere.

DH and I had never used one before, we've had our current home for more than a year...we just wanted to know if the dish washer worked...

The guy who came up with Scientology is named L. Ron Hubbard. Not Elrond Hubbard. For the longest time people would talk about him being an odd man and I thought "Well his parents named him Elrond, what do you expect?"

Virg

• Super Hero!
siamesecat2965 wrote:

"I learned at my last job, working for a law firm that handled asbestos litigation, that its mined from the ground! I figured something that harmful HAD to be man-made"

Mercury.  QED.  Anyway, you're not the only one who learned that in adulthood.  Someone told me that and I didn't believe him at first, and even cracked a joke about nylon mining to go along with it.  I had to look it up in a real encyclopedia because this was long before Wiki.

Virg

Bethczar

The other thread got me thinking - what things have you only recently learned that other people were surprised you didn't know?

For me, one recent one was that red wine is made with the skins and white wine is without.  I assumed it was red grapes versus white grapes.  (It's not as easy as that, apparently.)
Well, I've now learned something today. I always thought it was red vs white grapes, too. Then again, I'm not much of a drinker.

When I was in college I had an arguement with my roommate about how Wyoming was pronounced. For some reason, I always thought the g was silent and pronounced it "Wy o mee"

Still not sure where that came from!  :o

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
The other thread got me thinking - what things have you only recently learned that other people were surprised you didn't know?

For me, one recent one was that red wine is made with the skins and white wine is without.  I assumed it was red grapes versus white grapes.  (It's not as easy as that, apparently.)
Well, I've now learned something today. I always thought it was red vs white grapes, too. Then again, I'm not much of a drinker.

When I was in college I had an arguement with my roommate about how Wyoming was pronounced. For some reason, I always thought the g was silent and pronounced it "Wy o mee"

Still not sure where that came from!  :o
On the grape wine issue, I know that roses come from red grapes which have their skin removed. And there are some new varietals where the skin is being removed early on from red grapes.  But most white wines are made from white grapes.

Lynn2000

This is kind of weird, but there is a major US city "near" the small town where I grew up. Well, when I was a kid, this city was a distant dream on the horizon, like the city of Oz or something--maybe if I was really good, we might block out a long weekend, someday, and make the journey there. I think I've been there three times total in my life.

I actually live further away from it now, but it's nothing for people from my current town to run there and back in a day. Actually my co-worker just ran over there this morning to pick someone up from the airport, drove them back to our town, and came into work mid-afternoon, when he totally could have taken the whole day off.

So 1) for many years I failed to realize how close, geographically, I actually was to this city; and 2) apparently, my parents just didn't like going there, and always gave the impression it was too far. Understandably they probably didn't relish the city driving. But, my mind was boggled the first time I heard of people just jaunting there and back.
~Lynn2000

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
I had nearsighted and farsighted mixed up for the longest time.  Thought farsighted meant you had a hard time seeing things far away.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata