Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 107230 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
And see, I learned it:

"When it's something you know, that your culture says so, that's a more."

Virg

Betelnut

I pronounce it the same way I do the Maryland town of Bowie.  Boo-ee.

In house hunting I was surprised to find out that not all homes have breaker boxes and that some of the older ones had fuseboxes. (one had a fusebox on the outside of the house.  I'm sorry, all I could think was "That's a horror movie waiting to happen" because I could just imagine someone coming up and pulling fuses to make lights go out and freak out the inhabitants of the house before pulling them all out, going in and killing someone. 

No I don't watch too many horror movies, I've seen just enough, thank you. :)

I was also surprised when my friend told me that Iowa had vineyards.  I blame it on the fact that I'd just never heard about it till then and never seen any bottles marked as being from an Iowa vineyard, they were mostly foreign, Californian, or Maryland vineyards.  We visited one of those vineyards while I visited my friend, one called Fireside Winery and the wine was VERY good! I tried to find it when I got back home but no one had it.

Plus, not all grapes are used for wine.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Luci

• Super Hero!

Are you saying you never saw grapes in the produce section or someone's backyard, or that not all varieties of grapes are suitable for making wine?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum

Are you saying you never saw grapes in the produce section or someone's backyard, or that not all varieties of grapes are suitable for making wine?

How did you get that meaning?

It seems pretty obvious to me that Betelnut means "not every grape variety that is grown is used for wine; some are used for other things instead."

Most wine varietals aren't sold as eating grapes (thogh they often taste quite good); most eating-grape varietals aren't used for wine.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
You don't want to know how long it finally took to dawn on me that our own Ehellion, Moray, has a picture of a Moray Eel as her avatar.

*sings* When you swim in the sea and an eel bites your knee, that's....a moray!

And ... you beat me to it.

or hubby's version

*sings* when the eel that you feel, doesn't feel like an eel, that's a moray

When you're stung by an eel and a shock's what you feel, that's a moray.

(I have no idea if morays are electric eels, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  ;))

I've always seen the "trouper" spelling to refer to a good sport, someone who keeps on going in the face of adversity. From "troupe" as in performing troupe and "the show must go on" and all that. But we call that behavior "soldiering on," and soldiers are "troopers," so yeah, I may need to rethink that. Hmmm....

LOL, I thought I felt my ears burning! I love Morays because they always look like they've told a really really stupid joke and are going "Do you get it? Get it? It's funny because ducks can't drive tractors!"

Fun fact: Electric Eels aren't acutally eels at all; they're a species of Knifefish.
Utah

Betelnut

How did you get that meaning?

It seems pretty obvious to me that Betelnut means "not every grape variety that is grown is used for wine; some are used for other things instead."

Most wine varietals aren't sold as eating grapes (thogh they often taste quite good); most eating-grape varietals aren't used for wine.

Yes, exactly,  I was responding to the poster who was surprised that there were vineyards in Iowa because she/he had never seen wine from Iowa (until recently).  Well, not all grapes are used for wine.  A person can have a vineyard and not produce wine.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Luci

• Super Hero!

I was responding to the poster who was surprised that there were vineyards in Iowa because she/he had never seen wine from Iowa (until recently).  Well, not all grapes are used for wine.  A person can have a vineyard and not produce wine.

I was laughing at my first reading on your statement. I thought it was funny that I read that into it. I did know what you meant!  :)

flowersintheattic

Or you turn the jar upside down, give it a little shake and turn it right way up and open it.  If you do that then you've pushed the contents into the little air pocket on top and... well, you filled the vacuum.

(My grandmother used to do that, she saved the jars and lids for preserving fruit and making jam and the lids were never quite right if you'd popped the seal with a knife as most people are prone to do)

That doesn't always work, sometimes the contents of the jar refuse to move. I've never ruined a seal with my scissor trick and I've made (and still make!) lots of jams and jellies.

My father had all of my siblings and I convinced that blowing on the lid made it open easily. And then he'd demonstrate...and it ALWAYS worked. I was well into high school before I realized that he was really just stronger than us.  :-[

I was in college before I realized that Perchik in "Fiddler on the Roof" was a communist. Re-watching it now, it seems painfully obvious.
...I learned my lesson / And yes, I still remember the last one / But this time will be different / Until I do it again... ~Phish, "Kill Devil Falls"

guihong

• Super Hero!
I think all of you are just hilarious with the "Just A Moray" songs  ;D.

crella

The moray song that I know:

"What's that thing in the reef, with a mouthful of teeth? That's a moray."

BC's version-

"When an eel lunges out,
and bites off your snout,
that's a mora-a-a--ay!"

crella

The "Report" button takes us to a screen to say why the post is being reported and then we must hit "Send" or something like that. Anyway, not all reports are acted on. If the mod doesn't agree with the report, it will be ignored.

It's pretty hard to report something by accident!

Oh, good! Thank you!

cwm

LOL, I thought I felt my ears burning! I love Morays because they always look like they've told a really really stupid joke and are going "Do you get it? Get it? It's funny because ducks can't drive tractors!"

Everyone accuses me of having that face most of the time.

To be fair, I do have it frequently. I tell a lot of REALLY bad jokes and then have to explain half of them because they're either obscure science puns that nobody understands or obscure TV/book series puns that nobody else has read.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Could we get back to the topic before the thread gets locked?

NyaChan

I didn't just find this out - it was when I was about 13 - but I'm still kind of embarrassed.   When I was a kid, my mother used to cut my fingernails for me with a pair of nail scissors.  These scissors were like any other kind; i.e. they were for right-handed people only.  That's why I needed her help - I could cut my left hand's nails, but not my right.  One day, I said to my friend "I have no idea how I'm going to cut my nails when I'm grown up and in a place of my own.  I'll probably have to call Mum over to help me!"  She looked at me oddly and said "Um, just use nail clippers."  "Huh?  What are those?"  "You're kidding, right?"

I wasn't.  I'd never heard of them.

My nail scissors have straight circular metal handles.  They can be used by persons of either-handed pursuasion.  I've not seen them otherwise (thoguht larger scissor ofen are...)

It's not just the shape of the handles; it's the direction that the blades cross each other.

But it doesn't make any difference.  After all, I use my left hand to cut the nails on my right and both hands look the same at the end.
Does to me. I'm left-handed, but I still can't use nail scissors to cut my right hand. The blades just won't meet properly. I've tried turning it around (so the blades curl away from the nail rather than with it) and that helps somewhat, but not enough to make it worth while.

Nail-clippers are so much easier to use :)

I had no idea those scissors were for nails until I read this thread  :-[  Always thought it was strange that they included scissors in manicure sets, but I figured it was for general grooming or cutting.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
I was surprised to discover that Brits pronounce "buoy" like "boy." Here in the states I've always heard/said "boo-ee." That explains the song that contains the line:

"Just then a voice cried out, 'Ahoy!'
And there was me mother just sitting on a buoy
That's meaning a buoy for the ships that sail
And not a boy that's a juvenile male."

This reminded me of the time in fifth grade when we were learning about homophones, and the teacher would throw one out and call on a student to supply the matching word. Lucky me, I got stuck with "buoy," which the teacher pronounced like "boy." Obviously he was looking for the word "boy," as in a male child, but I had absolutely no idea what he meant. This was in the Midwest. The teacher was somewhat older so perhaps it was a generational thing, or he was from another part of the country originally. When he finally explained it, the whole class of 11-year-olds just looked at him blankly. We were also pretty landlocked with no large lakes nearby, so we only had a tenuous grasp of what a "buoy" (boo-ee) was anyway...

AND--I told my dad about the gas tank arrow last night, and he had no idea! And it was there on his car. He knows everything about cars, and I don't even drive. eHell, you made my dream come true of telling him something about a car that he didn't know. ;)

In college (late '90's) they put little cards on the tables in the dorm dining halls explaining what the "proper" politically correct terms for different ethnicities, etc. were, as a helpful thing. I think at that time, Hispanic was out and Latino was in, for example. Most of them I knew or at least had heard of, but I was absolutely shocked to learn that "little person" was the correct term to use. It seemed so patronizing to me. But, not being one myself or knowing any, I'm sure I wasn't attuned to the negative connotations of words like midget or dwarf. I guess overall the terms weren't retrospectively obvious, though, since enough students had trouble with them that the college printed up an informative sign...
~Lynn2000