Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 80355 times)

Lynn2000

Wapiti news: I read today about a company called something like Wapiti Oil & Gas. And I knew what it was named after! I wonder if they would have named the company Elk Oil & Gas, though--wapiti definitely sounds more mysterious.
~Lynn2000

Hillia

Watching a Big Bang Theory rerun last night with Bob Newhart as the boys' childhood hero, Professor Proton.  (Bob may be 85, but he is hilarious.  My DH had never seen him in anything, and was blown away by how funny he is).  Anyway, the professor is doing his kids' science show for Leonard, Sheldon and Penny.  Along with Penny, I was amazed by the potato clock.  I know it's a staple science demo, but I had no idea how it worked - I had to have DH explain it to me, and I'm still not sure I understand it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

katycoo

When the electricity goes out at home and then comes back on, my electric oven says PF till I hit any button. Today after I power failure, I finally realized what PF stood for.

Mine always says HELP which I think is cute.

Lynn2000

Today I was looking at my box of Honey Nut Cheerios as I ate breakfast. In the bottom corner of the box it says something like, "Whole Grain Oat Cereal with Real Honey and Natural Almond Flavoring." I thought, "Oh, almond flavoring, that's nice... Wait. Honey NUT Cheerios. That's the nut!"  ::)

In a similar vein I have a friend who's allergic to nuts, so she's always pointing out things that have nuts that I never thought about before. Like Butterfingers. Which is one of my favorite candy bars. I never thought about the "butter" part trying to evoke peanut butter, they don't really taste like peanut butter to me...
~Lynn2000

jmarvellous

Today I was looking at my box of Honey Nut Cheerios as I ate breakfast. In the bottom corner of the box it says something like, "Whole Grain Oat Cereal with Real Honey and Natural Almond Flavoring." I thought, "Oh, almond flavoring, that's nice... Wait. Honey NUT Cheerios. That's the nut!"  ::)

In a similar vein I have a friend who's allergic to nuts, so she's always pointing out things that have nuts that I never thought about before. Like Butterfingers. Which is one of my favorite candy bars. I never thought about the "butter" part trying to evoke peanut butter, they don't really taste like peanut butter to me...

The stuff in the middle of a Butterfinger is the same as a Chick-o-Stick, which is definitely a peanutty candy. I feel like the chocolate coating mitigates the peanut flavor.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Homemade Butterfinger ice cream is divine.

lowspark

Recipe please.
Or do you just mix in broken up butterfingers into vanilla ice cream? If so, I assume you'd add it in just the last few minutes of churning?

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
Recipe please.
Or do you just mix in broken up butterfingers into vanilla ice cream? If so, I assume you'd add it in just the last few minutes of churning?
Agreed!  Our ice cream maker has lain dormant for months, and this might be just what I need to pull it out of the cupboard again!  :D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
I use the simple ice cream recipe as a base, then add crushed candy, cookies, what have you toward the end.

http://tidymom.net/2013/vanilla-bean-ice-cream-recipe/ This recipe makes one quart, ideal for canister style ice cream freezers. Multiply as needed for larger models.

You don't use eggs, so you don't have to cook the custard first. Divine.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
Thank you!  :D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

lowspark

I need do NOT need to make some ice cream. But I think I might anyway.  >:D

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
We were chatting the other day and our daughter (who will be 22 next month) casually mentioned that she only recently realized that what "black market" means.

She thought it was an actual, physical place - a street market in a shady alley some where.

I blame too much Harry Potter and all the shopping in Diagon Alley!  :)

cabbageweevil

We were chatting the other day and our daughter (who will be 22 next month) casually mentioned that she only recently realized that what "black market" means.

She thought it was an actual, physical place - a street market in a shady alley some where.

Boring super-nerdy nitpick -- re HP, aren't you thinking of Knockturn Alley -- where the dealings of the dodgy kind take place?   Diagon Alley is where the wizarding world's legitimate and above-board commerce, goes on.

turnip

I knew someone who thought the same thing about black markets!  She said she always wondered why the police didn't just go there and arrest everyone!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
Watching a Big Bang Theory rerun last night with Bob Newhart as the boys' childhood hero, Professor Proton.  (Bob may be 85, but he is hilarious.  My DH had never seen him in anything, and was blown away by how funny he is).  Anyway, the professor is doing his kids' science show for Leonard, Sheldon and Penny.  Along with Penny, I was amazed by the potato clock.  I know it's a staple science demo, but I had no idea how it worked - I had to have DH explain it to me, and I'm still not sure I understand it.

Per the bolded: Your DH has been deprived of some great stuff! I was a kid when the first Newhart show was on its first run. It was, and still is, a great show. It holds up. And as for age and being funny, let me suggest a few more guys (male and female) who are freaking funny and  over 80: Betty White, Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner. Those are the ones living. Some now deceased people are worth looking into, as well.

My honest opinion: some of these people are more entertaining/funny than a lot of younger celebrities!