Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 107270 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Watching a Big Bang Theory rerun last night with Bob Newhart as the boys' childhood hero, Professor Proton.  (Bob may be 85, but he is hilarious.  My DH had never seen him in anything, and was blown away by how funny he is).  Anyway, the professor is doing his kids' science show for Leonard, Sheldon and Penny.  Along with Penny, I was amazed by the potato clock.  I know it's a staple science demo, but I had no idea how it worked - I had to have DH explain it to me, and I'm still not sure I understand it.

Per the bolded: Your DH has been deprived of some great stuff! I was a kid when the first Newhart show was on its first run. It was, and still is, a great show. It holds up. And as for age and being funny, let me suggest a few more guys (male and female) who are freaking funny and  over 80: Betty White, Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner. Those are the ones living. Some now deceased people are worth looking into, as well.

My honest opinion: some of these people are more entertaining/funny than a lot of younger celebrities!

Jonathan Winters: The Stick.  Classic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwWDa1xPTPA

Syfygeek

Today I was looking at my box of Honey Nut Cheerios as I ate breakfast. In the bottom corner of the box it says something like, "Whole Grain Oat Cereal with Real Honey and Natural Almond Flavoring." I thought, "Oh, almond flavoring, that's nice... Wait. Honey NUT Cheerios. That's the nut!"  ::)

In a similar vein I have a friend who's allergic to nuts, so she's always pointing out things that have nuts that I never thought about before. Like Butterfingers. Which is one of my favorite candy bars. I never thought about the "butter" part trying to evoke peanut butter, they don't really taste like peanut butter to me...

The stuff in the middle of a Butterfinger is the same as a Chick-o-Stick, which is definitely a peanutty candy. I feel like the chocolate coating mitigates the peanut flavor.

Mmmmm, Chick-o-Sticks, I love them!
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Boring super-nerdy nitpick -- re HP, aren't you thinking of Knockturn Alley -- where the dealings of the dodgy kind take place?   Diagon Alley is where the wizarding world's legitimate and above-board commerce, goes on.

Aaaaand, of course, I just sounded that out so that I realized Knockturn Alley is "nocturnally".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
Boring super-nerdy nitpick -- re HP, aren't you thinking of Knockturn Alley -- where the dealings of the dodgy kind take place?   Diagon Alley is where the wizarding world's legitimate and above-board commerce, goes on.

Aaaaand, of course, I just sounded that out so that I realized Knockturn Alley is "nocturnally".

You're quite right, I had the wrong alley. :)

I knew that Diagon Alley was "Diagonally", but I also never realized that about Knockturn.  ::)

Virg

• Super Hero!
White Dragon wrote:

"She thought it was an actual, physical place - a street market in a shady alley some where."

In her defense, the "black market" describes both the concept of a way to sell wares illegally and the places that pop up on occasion to do that.

turnip wrote:

"I knew someone who thought the same thing about black markets!  She said she always wondered why the police didn't just go there and arrest everyone!"

These days that sort of thing is almost always handled online but back before widespread Internet the black market was often a place.  It was just usually either well hidden or kept moving, and police often did do exactly that when they could find such a meetup.

Virg

bopper

• Super Hero!
I am constantly amazed by the people who preach the no white anything (flour, rice, sugar, etc) diet, but don't know the reasons behind it.

I still don't understand the reasons behind so many fad diets banning bananas though, as they are the only way I get potassium and keep me from having muscle cramps.

Because bananas are gross!!! :-)  Yogurt and potatoes and spinach have more potassium than bananas.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
And spinach isn't gross?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
No, it isn't. :)

Luci

• Super Hero!
And spinach isn't gross?
No, it isn't. :)

Canned is gross. That's the way I knew it and even refused to serve it when I worked in food service at University. It made me quite ill, as I illustrated to the boss quite graphically. (Didn't make a mess, but close.)

Then I discovered fresh spinach salad, and now, fresh spinach cooked with onion and bacon -- oh my! It's even worth adjusting my daily intake of protein and fat to get it! You won't get guest salad without spinach in it if you eat here!

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Oooh, that sounds marvelous!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Everything is better with bacon.

Luci, have you tried fresh spinach and orange salad with balsamic vinaigrette and crumbled bacon?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
And spinach isn't gross?

Raw spinach isn't gross - it's quite nice in a salad or sandwich.

It is cooked (especially if overcooked) spinach that is gross.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!

Luci, have you tried fresh spinach and orange salad with balsamic vinaigrette and crumbled bacon?

Orwith fresh strawberries cut in quarters and sliced almonds in the spinach salad.  It even makes raspberry vinaigrette taste good!  I don't usually like raspberry anything...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
And spinach isn't gross?

Raw spinach isn't gross - it's quite nice in a salad or sandwich.

It is cooked (especially if overcooked) spinach that is gross.

I'll do cooked spinach if it's IN something - lasagne, spinach and artichoke dip, etc. But I won't do just cooked spinach. It's disgusting.

RAW spinach, on the other hand..... mmmmmmm!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Luci

• Super Hero!

Ooooo. Notes taken.

Winter, the time when strawberries aren't so good, but Cuties appear! Spinach and bacon are always available

Thanks!

I get a kick that this thread has turned into a temporary sidecar: a spinach recipe thread. Thanks, everyone.