News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 04:56:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 283620 times)

bopper

I am constantly amazed by the people who preach the no white anything (flour, rice, sugar, etc) diet, but don't know the reasons behind it.

I still don't understand the reasons behind so many fad diets banning bananas though, as they are the only way I get potassium and keep me from having muscle cramps.

Because bananas are gross!!! :-)  Yogurt and potatoes and spinach have more potassium than bananas.

Twik

And spinach isn't gross?
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
No, it isn't. :)

Luci

And spinach isn't gross?
No, it isn't. :)

Canned is gross. That's the way I knew it and even refused to serve it when I worked in food service at University. It made me quite ill, as I illustrated to the boss quite graphically. (Didn't make a mess, but close.)

Then I discovered fresh spinach salad, and now, fresh spinach cooked with onion and bacon -- oh my! It's even worth adjusting my daily intake of protein and fat to get it! You won't get guest salad without spinach in it if you eat here!

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
Oooh, that sounds marvelous!

PastryGoddess

Everything is better with bacon.

Luci, have you tried fresh spinach and orange salad with balsamic vinaigrette and crumbled bacon?

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
And spinach isn't gross?

Raw spinach isn't gross - it's quite nice in a salad or sandwich.

It is cooked (especially if overcooked) spinach that is gross.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)

Luci, have you tried fresh spinach and orange salad with balsamic vinaigrette and crumbled bacon?

Orwith fresh strawberries cut in quarters and sliced almonds in the spinach salad.  It even makes raspberry vinaigrette taste good!  I don't usually like raspberry anything...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
And spinach isn't gross?

Raw spinach isn't gross - it's quite nice in a salad or sandwich.

It is cooked (especially if overcooked) spinach that is gross.

I'll do cooked spinach if it's IN something - lasagne, spinach and artichoke dip, etc. But I won't do just cooked spinach. It's disgusting.

RAW spinach, on the other hand..... mmmmmmm!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Luci

Ooooo. Notes taken.

Winter, the time when strawberries aren't so good, but Cuties appear! Spinach and bacon are always available

Thanks!

I get a kick that this thread has turned into a temporary sidecar: a spinach recipe thread. Thanks, everyone.

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
I love spinach in all its forms, except slimy and overcooked. Raw, cooked, wilted, creamed, curried, with ricotta. You name it, I probably like it.

Optimoose Prime

Spinach at it's nastyist: brown, from a can, and smelling like decaying seaweed.  We used to get this served for hot lunch in elementary school.

gramma dishes

Spinach at it's nastyist: brown, from a can, and smelling like decaying seaweed.  We used to get this served for hot lunch in elementary school.

If it had a rainbow colored oil slick on it, you must have attended my elementary school! 

Sadly I was well into adulthood before I knew what spinach was supposed to look and taste like.

TootsNYC

Watching a Big Bang Theory rerun last night with Bob Newhart as the boys' childhood hero, Professor Proton.  (Bob may be 85, but he is hilarious.  My DH had never seen him in anything, and was blown away by how funny he is).  Anyway, the professor is doing his kids' science show for Leonard, Sheldon and Penny.  Along with Penny, I was amazed by the potato clock.  I know it's a staple science demo, but I had no idea how it worked - I had to have DH explain it to me, and I'm still not sure I understand it.

Per the bolded: Your DH has been deprived of some great stuff! I was a kid when the first Newhart show was on its first run. It was, and still is, a great show. It holds up. And as for age and being funny, let me suggest a few more guys (male and female) who are freaking funny and  over 80: Betty White, Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner. Those are the ones living. Some now deceased people are worth looking into, as well.

My honest opinion: some of these people are more entertaining/funny than a lot of younger celebrities!

The funniest man ever to live: Tim Conway.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Watching a Big Bang Theory rerun last night with Bob Newhart as the boys' childhood hero, Professor Proton.  (Bob may be 85, but he is hilarious.  My DH had never seen him in anything, and was blown away by how funny he is).  Anyway, the professor is doing his kids' science show for Leonard, Sheldon and Penny.  Along with Penny, I was amazed by the potato clock.  I know it's a staple science demo, but I had no idea how it worked - I had to have DH explain it to me, and I'm still not sure I understand it.

Per the bolded: Your DH has been deprived of some great stuff! I was a kid when the first Newhart show was on its first run. It was, and still is, a great show. It holds up. And as for age and being funny, let me suggest a few more guys (male and female) who are freaking funny and  over 80: Betty White, Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner. Those are the ones living. Some now deceased people are worth looking into, as well.

My honest opinion: some of these people are more entertaining/funny than a lot of younger celebrities!

The funniest man ever to live: Tim Conway.

That is the weirdest way I've ever seen Gene Wilder spelled.