Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 105688 times)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
I love spinach in all its forms, except slimy and overcooked. Raw, cooked, wilted, creamed, curried, with ricotta. You name it, I probably like it.

Optimoose Prime

Spinach at it's nastyist: brown, from a can, and smelling like decaying seaweed.  We used to get this served for hot lunch in elementary school.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Spinach at it's nastyist: brown, from a can, and smelling like decaying seaweed.  We used to get this served for hot lunch in elementary school.

If it had a rainbow colored oil slick on it, you must have attended my elementary school! 

Sadly I was well into adulthood before I knew what spinach was supposed to look and taste like.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Watching a Big Bang Theory rerun last night with Bob Newhart as the boys' childhood hero, Professor Proton.  (Bob may be 85, but he is hilarious.  My DH had never seen him in anything, and was blown away by how funny he is).  Anyway, the professor is doing his kids' science show for Leonard, Sheldon and Penny.  Along with Penny, I was amazed by the potato clock.  I know it's a staple science demo, but I had no idea how it worked - I had to have DH explain it to me, and I'm still not sure I understand it.

Per the bolded: Your DH has been deprived of some great stuff! I was a kid when the first Newhart show was on its first run. It was, and still is, a great show. It holds up. And as for age and being funny, let me suggest a few more guys (male and female) who are freaking funny and  over 80: Betty White, Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner. Those are the ones living. Some now deceased people are worth looking into, as well.

My honest opinion: some of these people are more entertaining/funny than a lot of younger celebrities!

The funniest man ever to live: Tim Conway.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Watching a Big Bang Theory rerun last night with Bob Newhart as the boys' childhood hero, Professor Proton.  (Bob may be 85, but he is hilarious.  My DH had never seen him in anything, and was blown away by how funny he is).  Anyway, the professor is doing his kids' science show for Leonard, Sheldon and Penny.  Along with Penny, I was amazed by the potato clock.  I know it's a staple science demo, but I had no idea how it worked - I had to have DH explain it to me, and I'm still not sure I understand it.

Per the bolded: Your DH has been deprived of some great stuff! I was a kid when the first Newhart show was on its first run. It was, and still is, a great show. It holds up. And as for age and being funny, let me suggest a few more guys (male and female) who are freaking funny and  over 80: Betty White, Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner. Those are the ones living. Some now deceased people are worth looking into, as well.

My honest opinion: some of these people are more entertaining/funny than a lot of younger celebrities!

The funniest man ever to live: Tim Conway.

That is the weirdest way I've ever seen Gene Wilder spelled.

andi

:snort laugh:

I still love Bob Hope

Luci

• Super Hero!
Steven Wright. Followed by Bob Hope. George Burns. Betty White. John Ritter was a good transition man between the old slapstick and the wit. Johnny Carson was dry and clean. Betty White and Carl Reiner have gone to the dark side, but I'm thinking about forgiving them.

George Carlin could be really funny if he would cut out the offensive language.

Rats! I forgot where this post is going.. Actually, it was obvious a few years ago that we don't need sexual nuances and bad words for humor.

That's what I realized.

nuit93

Except there's one problem: he's deceased.

squeakers

Harvey Kormen ... and in that vein: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFyVs_766S4&feature=share

A riff from the 70's that seems apropos given the govt. shutdown going on right now.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Diane AKA Traska

Steven Wright. Followed by Bob Hope. George Burns. Betty White. John Ritter was a good transition man between the old slapstick and the wit. Johnny Carson was dry and clean. Betty White and Carl Reiner have gone to the dark side, but I'm thinking about forgiving them.

Rats! I forgot where this post is going.. Actually, it was obvious a few years ago that we don't need sexual nuances and bad words for humor.

That's what I realized.

Carlin was funnier dirty than most comedians are clean, and I prefer clean comedians (check out Jim Gaffigan!)

zyrs

• spiffily male.

Did you go to school in the Pacific Northwest?  It sounds like our cafeteria.

Snooks

Everything is better with bacon.

Nothing is better with bacon, it ruins everything it goes near.

cwm

I'm in between. I love good bacon. Not too crispy, definitely on the soft side, but not rubbery. Preferrably smoked.

And lucky me, I got a half pound of smoked bacon when I went camping. Oh darn, I suppose since it's not laden with preservatives I'll have to eat it.  ;D

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!

I'm in between. I love good bacon. Not too crispy, definitely on the soft side, but not rubbery. Preferrably smoked.

And lucky me, I got a half pound of smoked bacon when I went camping. Oh darn, I suppose since it's not laden with preservatives I'll have to eat it.  ;D

I love eating good bacon but I don't like it added to most things as I think it overpowers. I don't like it on cheeseburgers at all.

I do like it crumbled on baked potatoes or with spinach salad. But keep it away from my donuts please.

Diane AKA Traska

If you change "love" to "like", I could have posted this.  I am of the mind that bacon is a topping, not an item unto itself.  Burgers, yes.  Pizza, yes.  Breakfast sandwiches, yes.