Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 116046 times)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
More bacon for me! :D

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!

I have bacon lip balm ... weirdly, it is the only one my dog won't eat.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!

I have bacon lip balm ... weirdly, it is the only one my dog won't eat.

Ugh, DH gave me some bacon chapstick for my birthday a few years ago.  One of the dogs got into it and managed to get bits of rancid-bacon-scented chapstick all over the master bathroom.  It reeked for weeks.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Just posted a recipe for bacon-scallion cornbread on the "What's for dinner?" thread. I love it, it reminds me of a baked hushpuppy.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
Ok that's where I draw the line.  I like bacon and things flavored with bacon (real bacon)  Chemically produced bacon things are just wrong and an abomination.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
So "Smells Like Teen Spirit" came on the radio today, and it hit me for the first time in my life that it's probably not a song about  deodorant.  (Not that the lyrics help - Weird Al's version has the line "It's hard to bargle nawdle zouss(?) / With all these marbles in my mouth" and it's scary how much those lyrics sound exactly like the original . . .)

I went and looked up the lyrics and yeah, nothing deodorant-like in there.  But then I found the Wikipedia page and discovered that the title came from when one of Kurt Cobain's friends spray-painted "Kurt Smells Like Teen Spirit" and he assumed it was some statement about him being a revolutionary and it turns out she really was saying he smelled like his girlfriend's deodorant, which was indeed called Teen Spirit.

So my assumption that the song was about deodorant was only half wrong  :P

Iris

So "Smells Like Teen Spirit" came on the radio today, and it hit me for the first time in my life that it's probably not a song about  deodorant.  (Not that the lyrics help - Weird Al's version has the line "It's hard to bargle nawdle zouss(?) / With all these marbles in my mouth" and it's scary how much those lyrics sound exactly like the original . . .)

I went and looked up the lyrics and yeah, nothing deodorant-like in there.  But then I found the Wikipedia page and discovered that the title came from when one of Kurt Cobain's friends spray-painted "Kurt Smells Like Teen Spirit" and he assumed it was some statement about him being a revolutionary and it turns out she really was saying he smelled like his girlfriend's deodorant, which was indeed called Teen Spirit.

So my assumption that the song was about deodorant was only half wrong  :P

I really hope that's true, because if so, that's hilarious! I'm slightly older than DH and *the* key difference that results because of that is that he was at high school when Smells Like Teen Spirit was released and considers it ground breaking, earth shattering stuff, whereas I was already at uni and it was just that thing that stupid high school-ers were getting all worked up about  ::).  You know, quite catchy, not a bad song, but certainly not a religious experience. The deodorant story is good for at least one good teasing session  >:D
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
It was only in the last year or so it finally dawned on me that Madness's "House of Fun" was about a teen boy trying to buy condoms on the sly. <facepalm>
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
Not sure if I already posted this, but I just had ANOTHER conversation with my grandfather about corn.  specifically farina and hominy. 

I went to the grocery store last night and he asked me to find a box of farina.  I couldn't so I picked up Cream of Wheat which is a brand name farina product.  He insisted that Cream of Wheat was hominy and he HATED it, even after I pointed out the word farina on the box.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Not sure if I already posted this, but I just had ANOTHER conversation with my grandfather about corn.  specifically farina and hominy. 

I went to the grocery store last night and he asked me to find a box of farina.  I couldn't so I picked up Cream of Wheat which is a brand name farina product.  He insisted that Cream of Wheat was hominy and he HATED it, even after I pointed out the word farina on the box.

Excuse me?  Hominy is made from corn.  cream of Wheat is made from wheat. 

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!

sigh...let me see if I can explain better.

He thought:
Farina = wheat
hominy = corn/grits
Cream of wheat = hominy that was milled more finely and rebranded to make people believe it's not corn

He likes farina, but refused to eat Cream of Wheat because of this.

andi

Check the baby food isle - that's where I found Farina last time. I prefer Cream of Wheat

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
Check the baby food isle - that's where I found Farina last time. I prefer Cream of Wheat

thank you!  the only place that I know to find it is the Super Walmart in the completely opposite direction of where I was going.  The grocery store is somewhere he can walk to.    If I can find it there, I'll let him know

cwm

He thought:
Farina = wheat
hominy = corn/grits
Cream of wheat = hominy that was milled more finely and rebranded to make people believe it's not corn

Wait, grits are corn? No wonder I've never liked them...

I'm very particular with corn. It has to be still in-kernel for me to consider eating it, and not in weird foods (like egg drop soup). It all makes so much sense now...

Betelnut

He thought:
Farina = wheat
hominy = corn/grits

Wait, grits are corn? No wonder I've never liked them...

I'm very particular with corn. It has to be still in-kernel for me to consider eating it, and not in weird foods (like egg drop soup). It all makes so much sense now...

<sniff  :'(>  No cornbread, tortillas, Fritos...?
Native Texan, Marylander currently