Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 104935 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Not sure if I already posted this, but I just had ANOTHER conversation with my grandfather about corn.  specifically farina and hominy. 

I went to the grocery store last night and he asked me to find a box of farina.  I couldn't so I picked up Cream of Wheat which is a brand name farina product.  He insisted that Cream of Wheat was hominy and he HATED it, even after I pointed out the word farina on the box.

Excuse me?  Hominy is made from corn.  cream of Wheat is made from wheat. 

sigh...let me see if I can explain better.

He thought:
Farina = wheat
hominy = corn/grits
Cream of wheat = hominy that was milled more finely and rebranded to make people believe it's not corn

He likes farina, but refused to eat Cream of Wheat because of this.

Wait, grits are corn? No wonder I've never liked them...

I'm very particular with corn. It has to be still in-kernel for me to consider eating it, and not in weird foods (like egg drop soup). It all makes so much sense now...

<sniff  :'(>  No cornbread, tortillas, Fritos...?

It's ok...more for us :)

cwm

Not sure if I already posted this, but I just had ANOTHER conversation with my grandfather about corn.  specifically farina and hominy. 

I went to the grocery store last night and he asked me to find a box of farina.  I couldn't so I picked up Cream of Wheat which is a brand name farina product.  He insisted that Cream of Wheat was hominy and he HATED it, even after I pointed out the word farina on the box.

Excuse me?  Hominy is made from corn.  cream of Wheat is made from wheat. 

sigh...let me see if I can explain better.

He thought:
Farina = wheat
hominy = corn/grits
Cream of wheat = hominy that was milled more finely and rebranded to make people believe it's not corn

He likes farina, but refused to eat Cream of Wheat because of this.

Wait, grits are corn? No wonder I've never liked them...

I'm very particular with corn. It has to be still in-kernel for me to consider eating it, and not in weird foods (like egg drop soup). It all makes so much sense now...

<sniff  :'(>  No cornbread, tortillas, Fritos...?

It's ok...more for us :)

Cornbread is iffy, I don't usually like it but there are rare exceptions. I'm okay with corn tortillas, but like flour ones better. Something in Fritos gives me migraines. Not worth it, even if I did like them before.

So yes, much more for you.

Virg

• Super Hero!
Betelnut wrote:

"<sniff  :'(>  No cornbread, tortillas, Fritos...?"

She said "...not in weird foods."

Virg

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.

Cornbread is iffy, I don't usually like it but there are rare exceptions. I'm okay with corn tortillas, but like flour ones better. Something in Fritos gives me migraines. Not worth it, even if I did like them before.

Maybe your body just doesn't like corn -- the ingredients in regular Fritos are just corn, corn oil, and salt.

cwm

Maybe your body just doesn't like corn -- the ingredients in regular Fritos are just corn, corn oil, and salt.

It's not the corn, it has something to do with the processing most likely. Corn I'm fine with. Processed corn in tortillas I'm okay with, I just prefer flour. Cornbread is okay. Corn in soup is bizarre most times, but fine. But Fritos? Migraine. And it's not salt either, I can add that to anything if I wanted without any problems.

But it's okay, I don't like Fritos too much anyway, so I'm not missing out. Starburst, and Skittles, though, I am missing out on. :( (Again, with the migraines, but that's some sort of reddish dye they use.)

squeakers

It's not the corn, it has something to do with the processing most likely. Corn I'm fine with. Processed corn in tortillas I'm okay with, I just prefer flour. Cornbread is okay. Corn in soup is bizarre most times, but fine. But Fritos? Migraine. And it's not salt either, I can add that to anything if I wanted without any problems.

But it's okay, I don't like Fritos too much anyway, so I'm not missing out. Starburst, and Skittles, though, I am missing out on. :( (Again, with the migraines, but that's some sort of reddish dye they use.)

Could be one of the dyes used or MSG: http://www.fritolay.com/your-health/explaining-ingredients.html
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
As a child of the 90s, of course I knew about Yogi Bear.  And it wasn't until I was in my 20s that I fully realized the guy who played baseball and said all those famous "yogi-isms" was Yogi Berra, a completely separate person.  It wasn't until a friend was talking about yoga this morning that it hit me

a) Yogi probably wasn't Yogi Berra's real first name, but he may very well have gotten it for saying all those crazy zen-like things (such as "It's not over until it's over" or "half of the game is 90% mental"), and

b) it's probably not a coincidence that "Yogi Berra" and "Yogi Bear" sound so similar.  Seeing as that was kind of the fashion in cartoons and all.

cabbageweevil

As a child of the 90s, of course I knew about Yogi Bear.  And it wasn't until I was in my 20s that I fully realized the guy who played baseball and said all those famous "yogi-isms" was Yogi Berra, a completely separate person.  It wasn't until a friend was talking about yoga this morning that it hit me

a) Yogi probably wasn't Yogi Berra's real first name, but he may very well have gotten it for saying all those crazy zen-like things (such as "It's not over until it's over" or "half of the game is 90% mental"), and

b) it's probably not a coincidence that "Yogi Berra" and "Yogi Bear" sound so similar.  Seeing as that was kind of the fashion in cartoons and all.

Oddly enough, I was recently reading a correspondence on a completely different forum, about the Yogi Bear / Yogi Berra question.  General consensus there, was that it's got to be be that -- name-wise at least -- the baseball player provided some inspiration re the cartoon bear.  It was learnt that Berra's real forenames are Lawrence Peter (apparently, by the way, he's still alive); reputedly, the nickname "Yogi" came from some friends who thought he looked like a Hindu yogi from a movie.

According to Wikipedia: in early days for Yogi Bear, his creators -- the cartoon film makers Hanna-Barbera -- were sued for defamation, by Berra. "H-B's management claimed that the similarity of the names was just a coincidence. Berra withdrew his suit, but the defence was considered implausible, and sources now report that Berra was the inspiration for the name."

The Wiki item gave a wonderful Berra-ism which I'd never encountered before: "Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't go to yours."

(I'm wondering now whether Yoda in "Star Wars", owes at least something to this overall vein of inspiration.)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store

Oddly enough, I was recently reading a correspondence on a completely different forum, about the Yogi Bear / Yogi Berra question.  General consensus there, was that it's got to be be that -- name-wise at least -- the baseball player provided some inspiration re the cartoon bear.  It was learnt that Berra's real forenames are Lawrence Peter (apparently, by the way, he's still alive); reputedly, the nickname "Yogi" came from some friends who thought he looked like a Hindu yogi from a movie.

According to Wikipedia: in early days for Yogi Bear, his creators -- the cartoon film makers Hanna-Barbera -- were sued for defamation, by Berra. "H-B's management claimed that the similarity of the names was just a coincidence. Berra withdrew his suit, but the defence was considered implausible, and sources now report that Berra was the inspiration for the name."

The Wiki item gave a wonderful Berra-ism which I'd never encountered before: "Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't go to yours."

(I'm wondering now whether Yoda in "Star Wars", owes at least something to this overall vein of inspiration.)

My favorite quote is "90% of the game is half mental."

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Leaving the tab on a zipper up allows it to unzip with a bit of gentle pressure. Putting the tab down locks it in place so the zipper won't come undone. I really wish I'd had that lightbulb moment before I tossed DD's jeans that kept coming unzipped.  :P

And yes, I went all around the house trying it on various items to see if it worked on everything. Lol!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Replacing zippers in clothing is such a PITA. I have a beautiful embroidered skirt that needs to have the zipper replaced. I am just going to do it!

cwm

I've seen another magic trick for zipper tabs. Put a small keyring in the end of the zipper pull and you can hook it over the button on the jeans before you button the fabric on. It stays hidden and keeps the zipper from falling. It's a brilliant plan, I tell you.

Syfygeek

Boring super-nerdy nitpick -- re HP, aren't you thinking of Knockturn Alley -- where the dealings of the dodgy kind take place?   Diagon Alley is where the wizarding world's legitimate and above-board commerce, goes on.

Aaaaand, of course, I just sounded that out so that I realized Knockturn Alley is "nocturnally".

You're quite right, I had the wrong alley. :)

I knew that Diagon Alley was "Diagonally", but I also never realized that about Knockturn.  ::)

And I didn't know either until now, wonder what else I've missed?
That's my purse! I don't know you!

katycoo

Leaving the tab on a zipper up allows it to unzip with a bit of gentle pressure. Putting the tab down locks it in place so the zipper won't come undone. I really wish I'd had that lightbulb moment before I tossed DD's jeans that kept coming unzipped.  :P

And yes, I went all around the house trying it on various items to see if it worked on everything. Lol!

Not all zippers have that locking mechanism though.  I'm seeing it less and less, and I seem to recall it only being on smaller zippers..

Moonie

I've seen another magic trick for zipper tabs. Put a small keyring in the end of the zipper pull and you can hook it over the button on the jeans before you button the fabric on. It stays hidden and keeps the zipper from falling. It's a brilliant plan, I tell you.

What a brilliant idea! I would have never thought of that. Also, it would make it so much easier for little boys to zip back up after restroom trips. My grandson would always have a zipper that travelled too far down, and it was hard for his little fingers to dig the tab out so he could zip back up.