Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 107588 times)

snowfire

Your pipe should NOT have popped off.  There has to be a vent in the plumbing in order for everything to drain properly, but the drain pipe and trap is not supposed to be that loose!

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
I never understood the "write your account number on your check" thing, because I always mail the portion of the bill you're instructed to enclose back *with* my check, so why do I have to put it on the check as well? I do it, but I don't know why it's important.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
I never understood the "write your account number on your check" thing, because I always mail the portion of the bill you're instructed to enclose back *with* my check, so why do I have to put it on the check as well? I do it, but I don't know why it's important.
If the check should happen to get separated from the bill, they still know where to post it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

m2kbug

It was just a few years ago I learned what those little tabs on the sides of the saran wrap/tin foil/wax paper were for.

In case someone else doesn't know, you push them in to keep the roll in place and from popping out when you pull out the wrap/foil.

NyaChan

It was just a few years ago I learned what those little tabs on the sides of the saran wrap/tin foil/wax paper were for.

In case someone else doesn't know, you push them in to keep the roll in place and from popping out when you pull out the wrap/foil.

Seriously??  Well I've learned another new thing today...

Nikko-chan

me too

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.

I swear to you, I had no idea you could use a toilet plunger to clear a clogged sink drain. I'm going to try it on the bathtub drain next.

Didn't work on mine. I got the most disgusting black goop out of the drain (seriously, I have no idea what this stuff is ??? :-X ) but it is still running slow as heck. Also tried boiling hot water, vinegar, and baking soda. Nada.

I am allergic to some ingredients in chemical drain cleaners, but I may have to put a mask and gloves on and go for it anyway.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

oogyda

Have you disconnected and cleaned the "p" trap?  You should be able to loosen it by hand.  Have something under it to catch the water and be prepared to be grossed out. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum

Don't feel too bad--I don't think they used to be there .

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Have you disconnected and cleaned the "p" trap?  You should be able to loosen it by hand.  Have something under it to catch the water and be prepared to be grossed out.

Even before we got to discussing pipes popping off, I went and checked my bathroom sink pipe, to make sure the remarkably fast draining water wasn't just draining into the cabinet because the pipe broke. All seemed fine. I don't know what the blockage was--old toothpaste, maybe? But it is sure gone now.
~Lynn2000

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.

Well, there's something I didn't know! ;D

I don't think it is possible in my case though. A search under the sink produced a very corroded pipe and no pipe wrench. Don't know where the dang thing got to. I think I might have to keep trying with the other methods and leave the pipe to the landlord.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
My bathroom sink gets a lot of hair in it (even though I never brush my hair over the sink, I have to at least style it there, as the only mirror in the apartment is right over that sink). Chemicals don't work, vinegar and baking soda don't work, hot water doesn't work. The hair gets wrapped around just about everything and won't budge. I finally went out and bought a plastic tool called a Zip-it that has little sharp prongs sticking out from a flexible strip of plastic. You stick it down your drain and pull it back up again, and it catches the hair so you can pull it out.

It did end up popping the drain stopper off the little metal thing that makes it go up and down, but it didn't break it. Since I live in an apartment complex, we're going to have the maintenance people come and fix that, but I don't think it's all that complicated to fix yourself.

oogyda

I learned that little trick from my Grandma about 45 years ago.  Didn't think to ask if they've "always" been like that.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!

I learned that little trick from my Grandma about 45 years ago. Didn't think to ask if they've "always" been like that.

I have a feeling that that's just how virtually all boxes were made at the time and you just had a brilliant Grandmother who came up with that excellent trick!  I can't wait to go downstairs, pull out all my waxed paper, aluminum foil and plastic wrap rolls to try it out.   :)

jmarvellous

How to flip a coin without having it go helter-skelter. My husband was flipping a coin over and over in his hand to entertain the cat and I asked him how he could get it to keep going straight up and down, each time. Has to do with flicking the finger with the thumb, I guess.

He couldn't believe I didn't know how to do it; I got better but still am not as steady as him.

He still hasn't figured out how to teach me to skip stones--one of those things I probably will never master, while his skim for dozens of yards.