News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 09:54:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 283978 times)

TOLady

I've got 2:

Gorilla (guerrilla) warfare - how the heck did they get apes to fire guns?  :o
Trading chairs (shares) on the stock market - I had this image of people trading stacking chairs in a big room  ;D

Oh - and my brother can't whistle. I can, but can't use my fingers to do that screeching, ear-piercing whistle with my mouth.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Oh - and my brother can't whistle. I can, but can't use my fingers to do that screeching, ear-piercing whistle with my mouth.

I can't either.  I know the theory, and with a lot of work I can eventually make that breathy pre-whistling noise a teakettle makes before it gets going, but I have never been able to whistle for real.

I did teach myself to sing two notes at once, though (like this), which I think is way cooler  ;D

GlitterIsMyDrug

My bathroom sink gets a lot of hair in it (even though I never brush my hair over the sink, I have to at least style it there, as the only mirror in the apartment is right over that sink). Chemicals don't work, vinegar and baking soda don't work, hot water doesn't work. The hair gets wrapped around just about everything and won't budge. I finally went out and bought a plastic tool called a Zip-it that has little sharp prongs sticking out from a flexible strip of plastic. You stick it down your drain and pull it back up again, and it catches the hair so you can pull it out.

It did end up popping the drain stopper off the little metal thing that makes it go up and down, but it didn't break it. Since I live in an apartment complex, we're going to have the maintenance people come and fix that, but I don't think it's all that complicated to fix yourself.

We have those at home, we get a lot of hair everywhere (and none of it from the dogs....darn it, wish I could blame them), and those are like the only things that will actually work! Now in our shower we have a "hair catcher" type thing. It's a little plastic deal, goes right over the drain and catches all the hair. You do have to clean it out after a few showers, but it's better then dealing with a gunk of gross hair.

TOLady

Just thought of another one - not mine, but a previous boss.

He would dictate and I would transcribe his notes. I could talk until I was blue in the face, but he would not believe that it is "for all intents and purposes", not "for all intensive purposes" and it's NOT "at first blood", but it's "at first blush".  ::)

Drove me nuts!

cwm

Just had a co-worker, an otherwise intelligent woman, who tried to convince me that Puerto Rico became the 51st state of the United States last year. I don't know if she thought it was a conspiracy that nobody knew about it, or why she thought we didn't have the fancy new flag she used as evidence, but it took her a bit of convincing to prove otherwise.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.

I can't either.  I know the theory, and with a lot of work I can eventually make that breathy pre-whistling noise a teakettle makes before it gets going, but I have never been able to whistle for real.

I did teach myself to sing two notes at once, though (like this), which I think is way cooler  ;D

You know that song about the kid who wants 2 front teeth for Christmas so he can learn to whistle?

I was 6 when I knocked out my (permanent) front teeth. Learned to whistle fine. When I later got braces and fake teeth to go with them, and haven't been able to whistle well since.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Syfygeek

Just thought of another one - not mine, but a previous boss.

He would dictate and I would transcribe his notes. I could talk until I was blue in the face, but he would not believe that it is "for all intents and purposes", not "for all intensive purposes" and it's NOT "at first blood", but it's "at first blush".  ::)

Drove me nuts!

The President's Assistant sent out a company wide email using "for all intensive purposes" her second or third week here and I almost choked on my coffee!
That's my purse! I don't know you!

cabbageweevil

Well, there was a rumour at the height of the Cold War, to the effect that Stalin's scientists were working to develop a strain of half-human-half-ape, immensely big and strong, super-soldiers -- maybe using yetis which lived in the wild in Russia, but whose existence was hushed-up by the Soviet government.  If any such thing was attempted; it would seem that it didn't work...

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.

"Guerilla" is Spanish. It means "little war."  (The Spanish for war is "guerra.")

In Spanish, it's pronounced "gair-ee-ya" or "wair-ee-ya."
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.

TOLady

"Guerilla" is Spanish. It means "little war."  (The Spanish for war is "guerra.")

I was so young and didn't really read at that age, I just heard it on the news and thought it amazing that apes were trained to handle guns  ;D

cwm

I was so young and didn't really read at that age, I just heard it on the news and thought it amazing that apes were trained to handle guns  ;D

Well, for all intensive purposes, it is a miracle that they trained those apes.  >:D  >:D  >:D

I kid, I kid, I thought it was giant apes waging wars as well.

GlitterIsMyDrug

When I first learned about guerrilla marketing (in college), I couldn't get the image of a gorilla walking around handing out flyers out of my head. In fact when we took a test and had our little note card of notes, mine said "Apes with flyers" under Marketing Types.

cabbageweevil

Before posts are made, to the effect of "shut up about 'guerrilla / gorilla', already"; I gather that this word-similarity has been a source of confusion and mirth for the past two centuries.  If I have things rightly, the Spanish word "guerrilla" (little war) originated in reference to the resistance on the part of the ordinary folk, to the 1808 -- 1814 occupation of Spain by Napoleon's armies.

One place where this word-mix-up jest shows up, is in the IMO hilariously funny little book "1066 And All That", by the British writers Sellar and Yeatman, published 1930. The book is a satire on the often stilted and unimaginative teaching of history in schools; and the confused memories of it long after, on the part of those who were taught.  The book refers to the Napoleonic episode as the "gorilla" war in Spain, "so called because of the primitive Spanish method of fighting".  Alongside is a little cartoon showing a Spanish peasant advancing with a snarl, in great-ape "tear the human apart" pose, on a terrified French soldier.

hobish

• Release the gelfling!

You know that song about the kid who wants 2 front teeth for Christmas so he can learn to whistle?

I was 6 when I knocked out my (permanent) front teeth. Learned to whistle fine. When I later got braces and fake teeth to go with them, and haven't been able to whistle well since.

That is too weird. The same thing happened to me, except I was around 12 when I knocked my teeth out in an ice skating accident.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Katana_Geldar

When I first learned about guerrilla marketing (in college), I couldn't get the image of a gorilla walking around handing out flyers out of my head. In fact when we took a test and had our little note card of notes, mine said "Apes with flyers" under Marketing Types.

That would work, I'd be too intimidated by the gorilla not to take one.