Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 104990 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
I was in Bed, Bath and Beyond tonight.  The couple in front of me was purchasing a VitaMix (I think that's what it is called).

It had some endorsements on it and one of them was, 'endorsed by the CIA'.  I commented on the CIA and laughed.  Then realized that CIA didn't stand for Central Intelligence Agency; it stood for Culinary Institute of America!  Yeah, I watch far too much TV.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Dazi

• like the flower
I was in Bed, Bath and Beyond tonight.  The couple in front of me was purchasing a VitaMix (I think that's what it is called).

It had some endorsements on it and one of them was, 'endorsed by the CIA'.  I commented on the CIA and laughed.  Then realized that CIA didn't stand for Central Intelligence Agency; it stood for Culinary Institute of America!  Yeah, I watch far too much TV.

I dunno...the VitaMix is pretty bad-bacon-fed knave.   ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

andi

:lol:

I work for BBB amd I demo the Vitamix - I explain the CIA thing to a lot of people. And it makes me giggle every time.

cabbageweevil

A recent bit of extreme ignorance and cluelessness -- about popular culture, anyway -- on my part, of which I've just become aware.  I'll admit to seeing few films, and not being at all well up on contemporary films / actors in general.  Shortly after Christmas I saw on DVD, with relatives, the 2013 film of The Lone Ranger. If this is any kind of excuse, I was tired, and periodically dropping off to sleep during the film: but at the time, I mistakenly thought (Piratelvr1121, you'll likely be appalled here) that the LR was played by Johnny Depp.  It's only today that I've happened to become aware that Depp played Tonto, and that the Ranger was someone called Armie Hammer -- a name unknown to me before today.  All this stuff is, as mentioned, basically "not my bag" -- but I feel a bit ashamed to be that out of touch...

My personal opinion of the film (what of it I was awake for) was that it was beyond awful; but tastes differ !

Thipu1

• Super Hero!

We think it's hilarious that the USA has the CIA (Culinary Institute of America) and the UK has the FBI (Food and Beverage Institute). 

Wouldn't glassware from these schools be great fun to use for a mystery party?

OSUJillyBean

I just learned a few minutes ago that adult humans need vaccines too.  I do not have medical records from my childhood and no idea what was given to me when but as we're about to leave the country we are required to get one vaccine and when the nurse heard my uncertain vaccination status (ie: I have not had a tetanus shot in 20+ years), she seemed shocked.  So now I get to schedule Yellow fever, typhoid, Hep A, and tetanus shots.  I'm going to be a pin cushion!

Is there a list of vaccines adult humans are supposed to receive?  I am always aware of my pets' vaccine status but it never occurred to me to get myself up-to-date.   :-\

sunnygirl

I just learned a few minutes ago that adult humans need vaccines too.  I do not have medical records from my childhood and no idea what was given to me when but as we're about to leave the country we are required to get one vaccine and when the nurse heard my uncertain vaccination status (ie: I have not had a tetanus shot in 20+ years), she seemed shocked.  So now I get to schedule Yellow fever, typhoid, Hep A, and tetanus shots.  I'm going to be a pin cushion!

Is there a list of vaccines adult humans are supposed to receive?  I am always aware of my pets' vaccine status but it never occurred to me to get myself up-to-date.   :-\
I didn't receive any vaccinations between the ages of 10-26 first because I was in a difficult living situation and didn't have access to medical care, and after that because it just never occurred to me. I had an awful lot of fun trying to make my surgery's nurse understand that when I showed up for travel inoculations. I think I wound up having to have about seven within two weeks.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Let's see... There's the HPV vaccine (optional), annual flu vaccine, and I think meningitis is done every 5 or 10 years? Also, ask about chicken pox vaccine, especially if you didn't have it as a kid. I understand that is AWFUL to get as an adult.

Otherwise, ask your doc.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Luci

• Super Hero!
Let's see... There's the HPV vaccine (optional), annual flu vaccine, and I think meningitis is done every 5 or 10 years? Also, ask about chicken pox vaccine, especially if you didn't have it as a kid. I understand that is AWFUL to get as an adult.

Otherwise, ask your doc.

In my senior years I have added pneumonia and zoster (shingles - espectially if you have had chicken pox) to the list.

For our natural disaster team, we have to have Hepatitus A and B and extra tetanus vaccines. I am amazed that we don't need typhoid.

I promised my doctor that I would start flu shots it I ever get the flu, but I haven't, for 35 years. Probably this year, since I said that. Sigh

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Adult vaccines tend to be for specific occasions, not just because of an age schedule like children's vaccines are.  My vaccines have all either been seasonal (flu) or because I'm traveling and I need to be vaccinated against bugs they have there but aren't an issue here (malaria, yellow fever, etc).  You may need more vaccines if you missed some in childhood, but most adults don't *need* vaccines/boosters the way children do.  Several which are recommended in certain populations, sure, but not "you'll get polio and die" kind of vaccines.

nuit93

I got the whooping cough booster last year since there was an outbreak due to increased number of non-vaccinated kids.  I didn't want to find out the hard way that I was one of the unlucky ones for whom the original childhood vaccine wore off.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Adult vaccines tend to be for specific occasions, not just because of an age schedule like children's vaccines are.  My vaccines have all either been seasonal (flu) or because I'm traveling and I need to be vaccinated against bugs they have there but aren't an issue here (malaria, yellow fever, etc).  You may need more vaccines if you missed some in childhood, but most adults don't *need* vaccines/boosters the way children do.  Several which are recommended in certain populations, sure, but not "you'll get polio and die" kind of vaccines.

The major exception is tetanus.  You should have a tetanus shot every 10 years, minimum, and if you are an active gardener, you should go for a booster every 5 years.  I had my last one in 2010 to make it easy for me to remember when I have to do it again.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Julsie

I learned that the Rubella (German Measles) vaccine wears off after about 15 years.  So if you got it as a toddler, you might not be protected once you reach your 20s.  That is scary because Rubella can be catastrophic for the baby if a woman comes down with it in the first trimester.

Don't be like me and find out at your second prenatal appointment that your immunity has worn off.  Have them run a quick blood test before you get pregnant.  (If that's possible.  If not, don't over-worry.  The odds of being exposed to Rubella are very slim.)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry

Otherwise, ask your doc.

In my senior years I have added pneumonia and zoster (shingles - espectially if you have had chicken pox) to the list.

For our natural disaster team, we have to have Hepatitus A and B and extra tetanus vaccines. I am amazed that we don't need typhoid.

I promised my doctor that I would start flu shots it I ever get the flu, but I haven't, for 35 years. Probably this year, since I said that. Sigh

The medical lab I worked for had my position described as "at risk" for some reason, which meant that I had to have a full set of vaccines, including a few unusual ones, as well as a TB baseline test. That was not fun at all, specially since one of them had to be given at a public health facility, instead of a general health clinic. Between that and the "prevent all" military vaccine I had to get in college, I am pretty much covered.

Tea Drinker

The CDC has lists of recommended vaccines for children, for teens, and for adults to get at various ages and/or situations--for example, the hepatitis B vaccine is given young these days, and it's also recommended for certain adults, including people working in childcare. The adult schedule is here: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/downloads/adult/adult-schedule-easy-read-bw.pdf

That said, you might also want to consult your doctor. In particular, this is for people in North America, so it doesn't include some vaccines against tropical diseases (such as yellow fever), or the polio booster that's advised for visiting certain countries.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.