Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 107107 times)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
Taking my first science class with an actual lab component. I did not realize there is absolutely no eating, drinking, taking of medication, lip balm application, mints or gum allowed in the lab. It was very difficult for me to go three hours without a drink. I hope to adjust to it by next week's lab.

As a long time lab worker, I still don't like this component. What I usually do is drink a lot of fluids, then stop an hour or so before hand. As soon as I leave, I drink about 16 ounces of water.

JoW

Taking my first science class with an actual lab component. I did not realize there is absolutely no eating, drinking, taking of medication, lip balm application, mints or gum allowed in the lab. It was very difficult for me to go three hours without a drink. I hope to adjust to it by next week's lab.
Welcome to my world.  I work for a major pharmaceutical manufacturing company.  I've been in this industry for 30 years.  Thats 30 years of no food except in the break room/lunch room.  No gum.  No candy.  No beverages.  And thats just for office workers in the production building.  For operators - the people who actually make the product - its no chapstick.  Meds only in the locker room or break room.  We get lunch about 1/2 way through our 8-hour day, and 2 breaks.  Extra bathroom breaks happen, but you have to fit them in around the needs of the process you are running. 

Yes, you do get used to it.  And its a great dieting aid.  You cannot snack in this environment. 

JadeGirl

As a long time lab worker, I still don't like this component. What I usually do is drink a lot of fluids, then stop an hour or so before hand. As soon as I leave, I drink about 16 ounces of water.

It's amazing how quickly you can get through something in the biohazard hood if you have a full bladder  :P

We were lucky enough to have a water fountain very close to the door of the lab so I could remove my mask, gown and gloves, wash up and nip out for a quick drink if I had a 10 minute incubation.  Toilet breaks were more problematic so I learned to drink small amounts and often.  The airconditioning environment in the lab is very dehydrating so small amounts of liquid (a mouthful or two) didn't seem to add up over time.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
I have a need for high amounts of fluids due to two different medical issues. My plan for the two days I have this class is to increase fluid consumption from 7am - 3pm, then decrease consumption until after the lab ends at 9 pm. We get one 5 minute break in a 3 hour lab.

I am now prepared to eat a heavy snack during my 30 minute commute to class, and will bring a tightly capped bottle of water that stays in a bag when in the lab. There is a drinking fountain 2 minutes away from the lab.

English1

The gorilla thing - me too. I used to find the news really confusing when I was a kid.  :D Glad to find out I wasn't a especially dumb kid.

Something very silly. I found out I put bread in the toaster the wrong way round, only this weekend.  When I do it, some sticks out the top and halfway through toasting I flip it over so it all gets cooked. Watching OH make toast like a normal person Sunday morning = lightbulb moment. For an intelligent person I can be really dumb in some ways.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student

It's amazing how quickly you can get through something in the biohazard hood if you have a full bladder  :P

We were lucky enough to have a water fountain very close to the door of the lab so I could remove my mask, gown and gloves, wash up and nip out for a quick drink if I had a 10 minute incubation.  Toilet breaks were more problematic so I learned to drink small amounts and often.  The airconditioning environment in the lab is very dehydrating so small amounts of liquid (a mouthful or two) didn't seem to add up over time.

I've figured out how to strip my gloves and respirator, go through 5 doors, strip my lab coat and scrub cap, change shoes, grab my keys, go through 2 more doors and down the hall to the bathroom and then all of it in reverse in 5 minutes, without running. And almost any time I have a 5 minute break, I do just that.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
Something very silly. I found out I put bread in the toaster the wrong way round, only this weekend.  When I do it, some sticks out the top and halfway through toasting I flip it over so it all gets cooked. Watching OH make toast like a normal person Sunday morning = lightbulb moment. For an intelligent person I can be really dumb in some ways.

...So what's the right way to put bread in a toaster? I'm suddenly not sure if I'm doing it right!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!

...So what's the right way to put bread in a toaster? I'm suddenly not sure if I'm doing it right!

Me too.  I didn't even know there was more than one way to do it in a pop-up style toaster!   ???

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!

Me too.  I didn't even know there was more than one way to do it in a pop-up style toaster!   ???

If your slices of bread are rectangular instead of square, and you put them in the toaster so that they're resting on one of the short edges, a bit of the other edge may stick out. If you put them in resting on one of the long edges, that won't happen... unless your toaster's slots aren't wide enough to take the bread that way, in which case you're stuck flipping it to get it all toasted. :P
"Set aphasia to stun!"

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!

If your slices of bread are rectangular instead of square, and you put them in the toaster so that they're resting on one of the short edges, a bit of the other edge may stick out. If you put them in resting on one of the long edges, that won't happen... unless your toaster's slots aren't wide enough to take the bread that way, in which case you're stuck flipping it to get it all toasted. :P

Where's that head slap icon?  I get it now.  I wasn't thinking of those longer pieces of bread like Beefsteak Rye or whatever.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store

That's funny,  I've always put my bread in that way. I've never had a toaster that couldn't fit them in that way.

It's amazing the things you learn on ehell

KenveeB

• Super Hero!

Where's that head slap icon?  I get it now.  I wasn't thinking of those longer pieces of bread like Beefsteak Rye or whatever.

Yeah, my slices are pretty much square (slightly taller, but not much), so I don't have an issue. Phew! I was really worried I was doing it wrong and had no idea why.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!

Yeah, my slices are pretty much square (slightly taller, but not much), so I don't have an issue. Phew! I was really worried I was doing it wrong and had no idea why.

We buy a lot of different brands and types of bread depending on what's on sale, what we're in the mood for etc (and for a while it was "what can Mel eat this week that hasn't been sold out yet" :P), so we've run into a bajillion different sizes and shapes. Some of them were clearly never intended to fit into a toaster - or at least not one that will fit next to our microwave!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

katycoo

You need a double slice toaster to do this (one that can fit 2 slices of square loaf in each slot).  Mine is only a sinlge (1 slice in each slot)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
I'll tell you something else about some toasters that I can't think too much about, or it will blow my mind. So, most toasters, you can set how toasted you want the bread to be, from barely warm to black and charred. A lot of them just have an imprecise dial with an icon of a white piece of bread at one extreme, and a black piece of bread at the other extreme.

But which end is which?

IME, on some toasters, the white icon means "lightly toasted," like the color of the bread before toasting; and the dark icon means "heavily toasted," again like the dark color toasted bread has.

But on other toaster brands, it's the opposite, especially if the toaster itself is dark-colored--then the "dark" icon is actually supposed to be an empty outline of a piece of bread, like an empty cup icon on a coffee maker--very little heat applied. The "white" icon is actually supposed to mean "full" as in fully toasted, turn the heat all the way up.

I discovered this because I used to like my bread only lightly toasted. Now I get so confused with new toasters that I just set the knob in the middle.  :P
~Lynn2000