Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 96396 times)

Katana_Geldar

I had an idea in my head that it was a little island. DH knew, he tells me Manhattan Island isn't an island either.

StarFaerie

I've always been confused about those vacuum storage bags. Wouldn't they damage the thing they're compressing that much? Maybe not for a short use, like a day of traveling, but often they're advertising for storing out of season clothes for months at a time. Times like this are when I'm torn between "seems obvious to me" and "surely someone thought of this before they marketed it."

I use my for off season storage of quilts and sweaters. I'm not sure how compression fabric for long lengths of time is bad.  They come out wrinkled, but fluff up pretty quickly.

I also use them for traveling as well. 2 medium size bags fit perfectly in my carry-on

I use them to store my son's old plush toys. We packed them away a while ago as he couldn't bear the idea of losing his old friends but also felt they didn't belong in a teenaged boys bedroom. I had used them for quilts and pillows but had never considered them for plush. He pointed it out to me when I claimed we had no room to store them. That should have been obvious.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
I had an idea in my head that it was a little island. DH knew, he tells me Manhattan Island isn't an island either.

Manhattan is most definitely an island.  The only part of NYC that isn't on an island is the Bronx. 

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Watching a video the other day, I learned that foxes wag their tails when they are happy.

It's not that I thought they didn't, I just never thought about it before.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Watching a video the other day, I learned that foxes wag their tails when they are happy.

Would that be Dawn the fox?
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Lynn2000

I've found to Rhode Island is not actually an island. What is up with that?

Oh, that's awesome, I never thought of that before! I'm just so used to saying "Rhode Island"... The one that gets me is a town in Maine called "Mount Desert Island." I'm like, make up your mind! Are you a mountain? Are you a desert? Are you an island?
~Lynn2000

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Do you see those space saving bags where you put things like sweaters or pillows and suck the air out?
I knew they could be used with a vacuum cleaner, but for the strangest reason always thought it would need a special one that could go in reverse  :o (not just a special apparatus that fits the bag, a special vacuum)
The "you need to suck the air out" and "vacuums suck the air out" did not click until very recently  :-[ .
At least, when I admitted that to my SO he said he had thought the same thing, that you had to use a special one and that a normal vacuum wouldn't work.

Maybe I had it mixed with the thing you use to blow up air mattres and things like that.

If it makes you feel better I've just had a lightbulb moment that we don't have to use the vacuum for ours we could use the nice handheld pump for the air mattress (which deflates as well as inflates).

Depending on how it attaches to the space bag, though--there's a flat collar intended to provide a flat surface for any width of vacuum-hose opening; you place the nozzle/hose flat against it. If your deflator has a poky nozzle, it won't work.

Most fibers aren't damaged by being compressed. Foam can be; I decided against -really- squeezing the plush toys, and just sort of squeezing them. And it can break the stiff parts of feathers, so I'm not keen on squishing the down stuff all that firmly.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
w/ Manhattan:

Manhattan Island is indeed an island.

However, the borough of Manhattan (in NYC's political divisions) comprises the island of Manhattan and a small section of land across the Harlem River that is on the mainland plus a few smaller islands.

Wikipedia has a map.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:New_York_City_location_Manhattan.svg

That tiny bit on the mainland was originally part of the island, but it was difficult to navigate, so they dug the Harlem River Ship Canal, which turned Marble Hill into an island. Later they filled in the original channel of the river itself, joining Marble Hill to the mainland, but they kept the political membership.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Do you see those space saving bags where you put things like sweaters or pillows and suck the air out?
I knew they could be used with a vacuum cleaner, but for the strangest reason always thought it would need a special one that could go in reverse  :o (not just a special apparatus that fits the bag, a special vacuum)
The "you need to suck the air out" and "vacuums suck the air out" did not click until very recently  :-[ .
At least, when I admitted that to my SO he said he had thought the same thing, that you had to use a special one and that a normal vacuum wouldn't work.

Maybe I had it mixed with the thing you use to blow up air mattres and things like that.

If it makes you feel better I've just had a lightbulb moment that we don't have to use the vacuum for ours we could use the nice handheld pump for the air mattress (which deflates as well as inflates).

Depending on how it attaches to the space bag, though--there's a flat collar intended to provide a flat surface for any width of vacuum-hose opening; you place the nozzle/hose flat against it. If your deflator has a poky nozzle, it won't work.

Most fibers aren't damaged by being compressed. Foam can be; I decided against -really- squeezing the plush toys, and just sort of squeezing them. And it can break the stiff parts of feathers, so I'm not keen on squishing the down stuff all that firmly.
Depends on how long they're kept squished and where.  I just dragged down a box of my daughters' stuffies that had been in the attic for the last 20 years or so.  Not vac-packed, just in a box.  The stuffies on the bottom were all squashed out of shape.  :( 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Yeah, I had that experience with my childhood stuffed animals, which is why I didn't want to really squish my kids'. And I don't really plan on letting them keep them that long.

Snooks

The hole to deflate our air mattress from is about the same size as the one on the vac-pac so I'll give it a go next time I need to.

We can't put our duvet in the bag because it's feather.  Similarly you're not supposed to store sleeping bags compressed because it makes them less effective at keeping you warm.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.

Yes!

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.

Yes!

Oh my word, that's adorable!! ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Library Dragon

Yeah, I had that experience with my childhood stuffed animals, which is why I didn't want to really squish my kids'. And I don't really plan on letting them keep them that long.

Your plans may not mesh with the kid's  :D . We have one stuffed dog that was DS1's then went to DS2. Whenever I try and find it a new home I'm vetoed. DIL told me she had a talk with DS2 about it, but no, it stays. DS1 backs him up. Fortunately Go-Go doesn't take up much space.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Ambrosia Hino left a stuffed dog behind by accident at a hotel at 8(?) - we had to have it mailed to us so she could sleep.  I think it was a "Pound Puppy" and you could no longer buy them.

She loaned it to her baby brother while he was sick when he was about three or so...no more in the stores and he absolutely fell in love with the thing. 

I went looking and found one - at a store with a play area (quilt, crafting supplies, and framing shop).  The owner's not-so-dear-husband asked for a divorce and she had to sell the business.  I bought the Pound Puppy (not quite the same color) immediately...she has hers and his is somewhere, still packed since the move in 2005 (he was almost twelve and hadn't slept with it for years, but it got a lot of use when he was younger)!

I am not allowed to get rid of it when I find it because it might be needed for a grandbaby...."it's traditional to sleep with Pound Puppy".
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?